Alert: [R] Arsenal versus Liverpool March 3, 7:45 am

Discussion in 'Arsenal' started by Romfordray, Feb 26, 2012.

1. bandwagongooner

bandwagongooner Member+

Dec 9, 2006
    Club:
    Arsenal FC
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    RvP's second goal would be the best goal that anyone on either team had scored, and it's not his best goal of the season and maybe not even top 10 of his career.

The quality of his skill is staggering.

2. mebeSajid

mebeSajid Member+

Feb 16, 2009
    Atlanta, GA
    Club:
    Arsenal FC
    He went out of his way to help you guys. Spearing should have seen red for his tackle on Rosicky. Szczesny didn't even foul Suarez, much less deserve red: Suarez should have been booked for diving there. But, assuming for the sake of argument that it was a penalty, it still should not have been red, because the ball was already out of play by the time contact was made. There was no way Suarez could have scored that had there been no contact and he stayed on his feet.

It's truly delusional to gripe about the referee when not a single Liverpool player was booked, especially when there were a few players that repeatedly fouled (like Adam), and a few players committed some really dangerous tackles. Spearing really should have seen red.

3. mebeSajid

mebeSajid Member+

Feb 16, 2009
    Atlanta, GA
    Club:
    Arsenal FC
    Indeed. RVP has amazing technique, and fantastic movement.

4. DutchCane

DutchCane Member+

Apr 6, 2004
    New York, New York
    Adams is fuhkin useless, all he did was go around kicking players. He's a Scottish Parker with worse teeth

5. mebeSajid

mebeSajid Member+

Feb 16, 2009
    Atlanta, GA
    Club:
    Arsenal FC
    This is not true. Scott Parker has been known to run from time to time.

6. WoodDraw

WoodDraw Member+

May 29, 2007
    Club:
    Arsenal FC
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Just btw, but I find it hilarious that Liverpool could badly use a striker that can score goals, and they spent 35 million on Andy Carroll. :D

Think of what they could have bought with that.

7. mebeSajid

mebeSajid Member+

Feb 16, 2009
    Atlanta, GA
    Club:
    Arsenal FC
    That's unfair, I think. IIRC, the deal they made with Newcastle was that Newcastle would get 15m less than the price of Torres. From Liverpool's perspective, that essentially amounts to trading Torres for Carroll + 15m. It was a crappy transfer, to be sure, but when you look at all the circumstances it's really not as horrible as its made out to be: Liverpool did a phenomenal job negotiating a price for Torres.

8. DaPrince84

DaPrince84 Member+

Aug 22, 2001
    MD
    Club:
    Arsenal FC
    Nat'l Team:
    --other--
    Charlie Adam is a shocking player. Well over his head at Liverpool, and Liverpool are only a top 8 club. Dude is incapable of playing a possession game, and the one strength of his were set pieces. Good grief his corners and FKs were bad today.

But in saying that, he was a 1000 times better than Stuart Downing. That guy is a miserable player.

9. DutchCane

DutchCane Member+

Apr 6, 2004
    New York, New York
    Bruv, lulz Downing was hands down the worst player on Liverpool, along with Henderson but Henderson's 20 so I'll say he's young but yeah Adam? WTF How's he ever been considered a quality signing?

Wait, I know why, 90percent of pundits are Liverpool alumni, off the top of my head, Smith, Lawro, Macca, Redknapp, etc. or they're Pool fans smh

10. lamb

lamb Member+

Sep 3, 2004
    Larne, N.Ireland
    which smith do you mean? please don't tell me you mean alan smith?

11. DutchCane

DutchCane Member+

Apr 6, 2004
    New York, New York
    Nah the dude who is on Talksport radio? Isn't his name Smith? He's always saying pro Pool stuff i think its Danny Smith? Or is that not his last name?

12. WoodDraw

WoodDraw Member+

May 29, 2007
    Club:
    Arsenal FC
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    They still spent the money. If they wanted 15m less than Torres, the correct answer isn't "okay", but instead "******** off".

13. DaPrince84

DaPrince84 Member+

Aug 22, 2001
    MD
    Club:
    Arsenal FC
    Nat'l Team:
    --other--
    I will say Alan Smith, he thought Adam was a very good buy for Liverpool this summer and complimented the signing of Downing. Nope, he shoulda shut his mouth.

14. DutchCane

DutchCane Member+

Apr 6, 2004
    New York, New York
    Prince,

True story, I never watch MOTD commentators, just the highlights and then I move on they have nothing but stupidity to say.

15. lamb

lamb Member+

Sep 3, 2004
    Larne, N.Ireland
    ok, dutch. carry on (*puts baseball bat away)

there's a danny kelly (spurs fan, but not the worst. i don't mind him tbh. he's pretty reasonable)

daprince, you may not agree with alan smith (our one, not that scabby leeds one), but he is certainly not liverpool biased!

16. DaPrince84

DaPrince84 Member+

Aug 22, 2001
    MD
    Club:
    Arsenal FC
    Nat'l Team:
    --other--
    they arent that bad when they are not commenting on your club's match or the team they support. When I say "that bad" I mean that they are unintentionally funny.

indeed. Too many of those guys are working in the English football media.

17. Quentin

Quentin Member

Jul 12, 2008
    Hurricane, WV, USA
    Club:
    Arsenal FC
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Remember when we would have had Almunia between the pipes in a game like this? [shudder] Shame we didn't have a decent keep prior to this year.

Shame we didn't have a healthy RVP before this year. That dude is just something else. So, so good.

18. wanye_stirrear

wanye_stirrear Member+

Sep 19, 2002
    Maryland
    Scott Parker is the truth. I'm still baffled that people don't see it...at least it's a smaller crowd than it once was.

19. kanonier

kanonier Member+

Nov 7, 2005
    Bloomington, Ind.
    Club:
    Arsenal FC
    Funny enough, Almunia was quite good at penalties. Remember this? (Not as good as today's double-save, though).

[ame="http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=smSde-dqBXg"]Almunia Penalty Save vs Tottenham premier league 2007 2008 - YouTube[/ame]

20. Catfish

Catfish Member

Oct 1, 2002
    Chicago
    Club:
    Arsenal FC
    Massive win! The difference between average and good teams
    is that good teams pull out the win/3pts even when they played
    like doo doo (as we did today).

2 beautiful goals by Robin Van Persie!

21. ThreeUpTop

ThreeUpTop Member

Feb 16, 2011
    Valley Forge
    Club:
    Arsenal FC
    I wish we had watched the same match so we could discuss it.

22. Silva 5

Silva 5 Member+

Mar 10, 2006
    Club:
    Arsenal FC
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    This thought came to mind today:

Rvp is the sort of guy who will only get better with age and should be able to play for a long, long time.

He doesn't depend on pace. He's entirely about technique and movement and positioning. He needs to stay here until he retires and he could easily be a Giggs-type for us in terms of his longevity.

23. kanonier

kanonier Member+

Nov 7, 2005
    Bloomington, Ind.
    Club:
    Arsenal FC
    I'm encouraged, but worried. I mean we're playing well, but the team is just decimated at the moment, especially in midfield. Losing Arteta is a real blow. I mean, look at this list of injured players.

Diaby - only good for 20 min
    Santos - back in 2ish weeks
    Ramsey - back in 2ish weeks
    Arteta - likely out for a couple weeks
    Coquelin - out 3-4 more weeks
    Jack - potentially back in April
    Djourou - ???
    Mertesacker - out for the season

Add Arshavin to the list since he left. Henry was there, too, but is now gone. And Park and Chamakh are clearly worthless and won't ever play.

Not to mention there are several players that look like they might be playing with knocks and could use a rest (Vermaelen in particular).

Yikes. We are thin.

24. DIMITAR BERBATOV!

Aug 2, 2010
    Club:
    Arsenal FC
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Undeserved win, but I'll take it. RVP taught those wasteful Pool players how to finish. What a surreal moment at the end. Ball goes up. Ball flies into the net. Dead silence in the stadium.

Nice.

Sloppy defending and relatively poor play from the midfield today, but we got away with it. Chelsea losing is just the icing on the cake. If we can put 2-3 more points between us and them, I'll feel much better about our prospects for 3rd or 4th. As long as they're within 3 points, we'll need to beat them when we face them again. They seem to be in full meltdown mode at the moment, so you have to like our chances.

On to the next one.

25. hughmanatee

hughmanatee Member

Aug 11, 2010
    Montréal
    Club:
    Arsenal FC
    Nat'l Team:
    Venezuela
    Cheering for ManUre is inevitable twice a year. Just happens to be a really nice coincidence this season.