[R] Adopted Cousin of Other MLS Teams' News Thread

Discussion in 'Columbus Crew' started by EL MONO MARIO, Jun 16, 2011.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. fknbuflobo

fknbuflobo Member+

Arsenal FC
    United States
    Nov 16, 2011
    Akron, Ohio
    Club:
    Arsenal FC
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Elisha Cuthbert is our moderator?!?

2. Jake Folan

Jake Folan Member

May 24, 2012
    She's moderated everyone else so why not?

fidlerre, cam5fc and fknbuflobo repped this.
  3. patricksp

patricksp 91.9 Crew Fan Rating

Nov 4, 2007
    Columbus
    Club:
    Columbus Crew
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    foozer, cam5fc, kgilbert78 and 2 others repped this.
  4. SourCream&OnionUtd

Nov 19, 1998
  5. Swellster

Swellster Member

Jun 26, 2011
    Dallas
    Club:
    Columbus Crew
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    There is no way that Ryan Nelsen is 35. I want proof. He is at least 50. Look at him ... tell me he is not 50 years old.

6. puttputtfc

puttputtfc Member+

Sep 7, 1999
    Franchise is the right word. Unless things have changed MLS HQ owns 51% of all teams. This also means they own 51% of personnel decisions and I have no idea where the line between owner and league decisions lie.

7. Kayak

Kayak Member+

Feb 16, 2007
    Columbus
    So I asked about the Indy NASL team since there hadn't been any discussion for a while and got a pretty quick response.

With his information it was pretty easy to find some confirmation.

http://indyprosoccer-eorg.eventbrite.com/#

Having Peter Wilt involved I figured this was one of the more credible ventures out their. Having the Governor and Mayor at the announcement seems like a good deal. At the very least it looks like the team is going to get off the ground in the NASL, I hope they start on that stadium fairly soon after the announcement.

foozer repped this.
  8. kgilbert78

kgilbert78 Member+

Borussia Mönchengladbach
    United States
    Dec 28, 2006
    Cowlumbus, OH
    Club:
    Borussia Mönchengladbach
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    I'll bet they just fix up Kuntz. Which is not all that bad a place for soccer (I used to go to a couple Blast games a year, as we are often in Indy at the zoo).

9. Psycho_Derek

Psycho_Derek Member+

Nov 18, 2005
    What did you call me?

10. Skeleton Crew

Skeleton Crew Member+

Mar 20, 2009
    Columbus
    Club:
    Columbus Crew
    This really makes a lot of sense for that city. IU has probably the #1 soccer program overall (given history) Seem like it would be a good fit for the college and professional scene

11. foozer

foozer Member

Dec 19, 2005
    Indy
    Club:
    Columbus Crew
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    I went to one of the Q&A's with Peter Wilt last week. At that time, based on season ticket pledges (not deposits) and the response to their "information tour", he put the odds at the investors going through with the idea at 90%. It also sounded like IUPUI's track and soccer stadium was the preferred option (most centrally located, favorable demographics). One of the drawbacks to Kuntz was location (very little nearby to do in a sketchy neighborhood); along with the desire to differentiate themselves from past Indy teams.

I'm planning on going to the press conference. The bottom line is you don't call a press conference with the Mayor, Governor-elect, and investors (who to this point had not been named) to announce you aren't bringing a team. Which makes us in Indy happy happy happy.

12. kgilbert78

kgilbert78 Member+

Borussia Mönchengladbach
    United States
    Dec 28, 2006
    Cowlumbus, OH
    Club:
    Borussia Mönchengladbach
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    That makes sense, actually. It's a new stadium, isn't it?? Oddly enough, Kuntz is right across the street from the old baseball stadium. Also, as some may remember, the Nats played there once upon a time (vs El Salvador in an Olympic Qualifier).

13. Kayak

Kayak Member+

Feb 16, 2007
    Columbus
    This is great, I really like having more serious teams in the region. Do you like the Racing Indy name and green and black colors that seems to be popular with the brickyard battalion people?

14. OSCrew

OSCrew Member

Mar 7, 2011
    Indianapolis
    Club:
    Columbus Crew
    Looks like a picked a great time to move to Indy then. Any word on when the team would start their NASL play? 2014?

15. foozer

foozer Member

Dec 19, 2005
    Indy
    Club:
    Columbus Crew
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    I've got no opposition to the Racing Indy name or colors that the Brickyard Battalion are pushing. It's a little odd, but there is definitely history for the "racing" part. Green and black are unique and if they end up looking like the green Rapids jerseys of old, that won't be the worst thing. I wonder, though, with as much blue as is prevalent in this city (Colts, Pacers, city flag, state flag, etc...) if they might incorporate that, too.
    The expectation would be for the team to start in 2014. I'm hoping the press conference next Wednesday features a team name and colors, but I'm not sure yet. One of the local news channels is doing a piece on the "pro soccer to Indy" movement tonight, so it will be interesting to see if there's anything new for people already in the know.

16. DAFCrew

DAFCrew Member+

Feb 27, 2007
    Terre Haute, Indiana
    Club:
    Columbus Crew
    Not all of us, my friend. It's only a matter of time before my wife finds out about this new team and starts telling me that I should take the kids there instead of all the way to Columbus to see soccer. And God help me if she finds out how much season tickets cost.

It's all relative, I suppose. People were excited when the Colts made that midnight run here from Baltimore, nearly thirty years ago. But for some of us it sucked, because we no longer got the Browns games on TV. In retrospect, I've suffered many things worse than no Browns games on TV.

zman31 and Skeleton Crew repped this.
  17. Bill Archer

Bill Archer BigSoccer Supporter

Mar 19, 2002
    Washington, NC
    Club:
    Columbus Crew
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Or at the least, one which promises a good deal of drinking.