[R] AC Milan vs. Club America (7/22 in Atlanta)

Discussion in 'Yanks Abroad Gameday' started by Heist, Jul 22, 2009.

1. propeller74

propeller74 Member

Sep 15, 2008
    LA
    Club:
    Liverpool FC
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    It looks like he made two or three.
    1) Kept his man onside
    2) Totally lost his man
    3) Hesitated on the ball (thought his man was either not there or offside?) which allowed the strike.

He'll bounce back. Sucks to give up the difference maker, but it's preseason. Get it out now. (Milan allowed Bryan Jordan and Alan Gordan for the Galaxy to score, so they have bigger problems than Gooch!;))

2. diablodelsol

diablodelsol Member+

Jan 10, 2001
    New Jersey
    A couple of points:

It looked to me like Gooch thought his goal keeper was going to come out for the ball. Keeper let a 40 yard, floated cross hit the ground at the 6 right in front of goal.

Did anyone catch the move Gooch put on the CA guy shortly after the corner late in the 2nd where he was fouled? No comment from the announcers, but I had to rewind to see who the hell did that. It was Gooch.

Edit: just watched the clip above.....didn't give that cross enough credit, but still think keeper should have come out and challenged. Howard would have....of course Howard would have been standing where the thing landed.

3. USINEU

USINEU New Member

Jun 9, 2006
    not sure how some can say he was partially at fault for the first goal: it was his man, missed the marking, stuttered, and it went in. all his fault. yes, only 3 training sessions with AC Milan, and language barrier a factor, but he could have done better. anyway, a little humility could not hurt as gooch, might make him focus 110%.

4. appoo

appoo Member+

Jul 30, 2001
    USA
    Most of these European players look average in these summer friendlies. They're out of shape and out of form.

5. appoo

appoo Member+

Jul 30, 2001
    USA
  6. HouseHead78

HouseHead78 Member+

Oct 17, 2006
    Austin, TX
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    I watched this last night. Gucci (;)) was visibly nervous in his debut. He got stone feet and didn't track the cross. Probably good to get it out of his system, as he knows he can't screw up worse.

7. ttrevett

ttrevett Member+

Apr 2, 2002
    Atlanta, GA
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    I thought that play was amazing. He tracked back amazingly quickly, and looked very composed on the ball and was fouled. Fantastic play. Also, his cross in the end of the game to the striker was absolute class. He took a very high ball and turned it 90 degrees perfectly into the stride of the striker (? whoever it was), who proceeds to blow it. Would/ should have been a game changer.

8. ShadowNC

ShadowNC Member

Apr 25, 2001
    Rocky Mount, NC
    Gooch was definitely at fault I guess, but his midfielders certainly didn't do him any favors.

America wins the ball in their own half, pass it out to the center line...no pressure from Milan. Then two players pass it between themselves while *walking* towards Milan's area, still no pressure AT ALL, then the player dribbles forward about 10 yrds, still no pressure AT ALL, and he hits an absolutely perfect cross. Gooch kind of got stuck out on an island on that one.

The whole back line should have been moving up to put the forward offsides....even if Gooch had moved up, Milan's right back was keeping him onsides also, so it probably turns into a goal anyway.

9. Sam Hamwich

Sam Hamwich Member+

Jul 11, 2006
    i am pretty certain gooch will have no friends at Milan. One of the real introductions to Serie A will be the cutthroat nature of their 'families.' Especially for the first black american. Good luck. I am sure he can win them over.

10. bombs

bombs New Member

Jul 22, 2009
    milwaukee
    Club:
    Newcastle United FC
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    yea except for that one mistake with the goal he started to calm down. it was good to see him being involved with the corners that ACM had. at least they recognize the value he has with those.

11. Heist

Heist Member+

Jun 15, 2001
    Virginia
    Club:
    DC United
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Agree about Zambrotta's (was it him or Jankulowski?)

Language would be an issue if he and the goalie miscommunicated. I'm not sure if that happened, but I think its possible he expected the goalie to come off his line for a cross inside the 6. Its not crazy for him to expect that, particularly since he and the goalie had probably not trained much together but its also not an excuse. It was a perfect cross though.

12. Sam Hamwich

Sam Hamwich Member+

Jul 11, 2006
    what about the second goal?

Was the right back expecting Gooch to support as the ball came inside of him? Dont know, I dont know how defenders organize themselves.

13. JediMindTricks

Jun 20, 2006
    Houston
    thus the purpose of the preseason. gooch will eventually learn where to be positioned, where the other guys will be, marking, etc.

14. Sam Hamwich

Sam Hamwich Member+

Jul 11, 2006
    of course. I guess it is crucial to note that the 'other' supposed starters let in 2 from the LA galaxy and frankly Club America looked a lot more organized than LA to me.

15. Reccossu

Reccossu Member+

Jan 31, 2005
    Birmingham
    I am a huge fan of Gooch and think he has been long underrated.

His play on the first CA goal was really bad. The kind of bad that gets you sent to the reserves. I don't think this is hyperbole; he failed to hold the line, in a blatent sort of daydreaming way, too, and then didn't stay with his mark. Just awful. I don't know what to put it down to since I think he's much better than that, but I don't know how Leonardo has any confidence in him. It was a spectacular crash and I feel badly for him.

Please convince me I am overreacting.

16. Gorky

Gorky Member+

Jul 28, 2006
    NYC
    Club:
    New York Red Bulls
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    1. It was in a meaningless preseason friendly.
    2. He had one practice with the team.
    3. He has been on vacation for weeks.
    4. Zambrotta had an equally bad play in the same game.
    5. It was in a meaningless preseason friendly.

17. JediMindTricks

Jun 20, 2006
    Houston
    i'd be more concerned if leonardo decides not to play gooch against chelsea.

at the moment, i'm with Gorky.

18. packy

packy Member

Mar 21, 1999
    and

6.keepers get crosses (especially long ones) in the 6 yard box

19. Heist

Heist Member+

Jun 15, 2001
    Virginia
    Club:
    DC United
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    I don't think he failed to hold the line. I think I saw another Milan defender that was about even with him on the far right. I also think the cross was perfect and that the Keeper could take some blame too. It was a mistake, but shouldn't be one he/Leonardo can't recover from. Leonardo sounded excited to have him in the halftime interview and remember how much he was used up top at the end of the game and almost helped create a couple of goals. Gooch wasn't the only one who screwed up in this game. The second CA goal was more of a mistake by a couple guys including Ronaldinho.

20. sabretarheel

sabretarheel Member

Aug 3, 2004
    Raleigh, NC
    Any Italian press blurbs about him from last night's game?

Scotty?

21. mcnaulty21

mcnaulty21 Member

Feb 6, 2007
    Wisconsin
    Club:
    Fulham FC
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    I took comfort in that. Gooch would have eaten that one for breakfast.

At least Gooch will have someone to share the shame with :eek:

22. dna77054

dna77054 Member+

Jun 28, 2003
    houston
    Let Howard know for the next time we play Brazil.

23. Crimen y Castigo

May 18, 2004
    OakTown
    Club:
    Los Angeles
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    No need to look for excuses. As others have said quite well, he simply blew it but all things considered it's an understandable mistake given the circumstances.

But, Yes, in a real match that would a howler and the knives would be out. With reason.

Also:
    It was definitely Zambrotta, and his error was indeed slightly more howler-riffic. He had also just come on.

But imho Gooch did quite well overall. I also enjoyed the play mentioned above where tackled, deeked and was fouled. Very composed. He was also manhandled in the box repeatedly. Once he gets his match-fit game face on, I don't expect to see that too often. Especially from shorties like Club America.

24. Sam Hamwich

Sam Hamwich Member+

Jul 11, 2006
    it's strange but it seems that anything coming from Italy right now just looks burnt out. The national team on down.

Inter looked horrific against chelsea.

I think the whole country needs to take a football holiday for the next 3 months.

25. kjksccr

kjksccr Member

Feb 25, 1999
    San Carlos, CA
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    When Gatusso is replaced by a 19 year old from Sierra Leone you have to be concerned. Their right back or was it a midfielder was crap. Ronhaldino deserves as much flack as anybody, including Gooch, as well as their forwards that missed two sitters. I thought Abate was a huge help and added a spark. I also think you will see Flamini get more and more time. What's up with Pato? Hurt?