[R] - 6/2, USA vs. China - the newbies...

Discussion in 'USA Men: News & Analysis' started by Bluecat82, Jun 3, 2007.

1. Bluecat82

Bluecat82 Member+

Feb 24, 1999
    Minneapolis, MN
    Club:
    Minnesota United FC
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Blatantly stealing from babytiger's excellent analysis threads...

We had a lot of guys make their debut last night, and a few more who were getting cap #2, 3, or 4.

How'd they do?

(Yes, we can even include Jesse Marsch :D)

2. Bruce S

Bruce S Member+

Sep 10, 1999
    Bornstein-great
    Feilhaber-great, MOM
    Bradley-good
    Kletjen(sp)-OK
    Davies and Nguyen-too little time but looked pretty fancy on the ball.

3. FirstStar

FirstStar Hustlin' for the USA

Fulham Football Club
    Feb 1, 2005
    Time's Arrow
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    I'll start with a few quick hits:

1. Benny (not quite a newbie but still pretty close) looked better than past matches- very calm on the ball - and very creative on his goal. I really like his growing technical ability. However, for all Benny's BL1 and Champions League pedigree, Mike Bradley's a better player (Mike sees the field and makes the long pass better- he starts our offense from deep).

2. Kljestan had a nice feed to Benny for the goal, but generally failed to make an impact in the short passing game on that field.

3. Davies is fast. Have I mentioned that he's fast? He's really fast. Decent touch too. Keep you eye on him, he needs to settle into the pro routine and gain a little confidence, but he might take a big step up in the next year or two.

4. Lee (who will become the first American player to adopt the Brazilian single name style) is something special. He's just way too young to be able to come into a senior international game after a long lay-off due to a shoulder operation and play that well on the ball. I really like Lee.

5. Kamani offered the least impression of all the newbies, but he came in with a three goal lead and the US trying to kill the clock. I'll reserve judgment on him in a US uniform, but it's very impressive that he went straight from UCLA to making over a dozen appearences (all as a 2nd half substitute) in BL1 this year.

4. uiriamu

uiriamu Member

Mar 16, 2005
    Philly, (NC)
    Club:
    Philadelphia Union
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    I agree with this post 100%.

5. olephill2

olephill2 Member+

Oct 6, 2006
    Club:
    Watford FC
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    I generally agree with this post as well, except I think Benny's a better and more polished player than Michael Bradley at this point. I'm not detracting from Bradley, because I think they're both good players who are going to get even better.

6. obewan

obewan New Member

Jul 24, 2005
    NC
    Club:
    Manchester United FC
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    IMO, Bornstein didn't look great...he looked OK. Against China, he had enough speed to cover for a few of his mistakes, but a team with more pace could've burned him. He had one bad giveaway that could've resulted in a goal. Fortunately, one of our CBs rotated over and gave Bornstein a chance to get back and play the ball out for a corner.

I think Klestjan played his way onto the Copa squad with a good showing at RM (could've done better, but we're thin there).

Benny played well...his vision impressed me, even though some of his through balls were a little off. Those are harder to measure on a short field. Play it at a normal pace and either the keeper or the last defender are there. You take a little off, a defender steps in to intercept. Can't wait to see more of him. Potentially a best XI in the GC, especially if Donovan has a good tournament & opens up the field for Feilhaber.

Bradley played pretty good, too. I like the fact that we have a two-way player who is not afraid to challenge with a tackle. Needs to work on the timing a little bit, but he has the time to do it. Can't wait to see him with the U-20s...especially after playing in the GC. He and Benny complement each other well. Bradley has the ability to play deeper, while Benny seems more comfortable in the middle going forward.

Lee's technical ability was obvious. Would like to see him on the first team at PSV this year. Think he has a pretty good chance. If he can cross worth a crap, he could be a pretty effective winger.

Davies' speed caused one offside call...he was on when the ball was played but outran the defender to the ball. Too bad for him.

Hill - nothing stood out to me about his performance.

7. jbgeach

jbgeach Member

Apr 5, 2005
    Chattanooga, TN
    Nguyen made one beautiful move in the middle of the field and then proceeded to get fouled, I showed it to a friend of mine on TIVO and he said, "I thought only Brazilian's could make moves like that." I replied, "So did I"

8. jbgeach

jbgeach Member

Apr 5, 2005
    Chattanooga, TN
    Overall, I am very excited about this group of young european based players. We have like 4 Donovan's on our hands. The best part is that some are clearly forwards and some are clearly midfielders which will prevent us from putting them were we need help ( in my opinion what stunted Donovan from being a true world class forward [which he still could become]).

9. tacologic

tacologic Member

Jul 13, 2006
    Brooklyn
    I hate to dissent, but I really wasn't impressed with Kljestan's play. Yes it was good for him to log some minutes and get some experience in a friendly, but he still has a long way to go for us. Luckily, the kid's young so there's no rush, but I hope that he's not on the pitch (at least in current form) when stakes are high. He showed he has a decent motor, but lacks touch on the ball and didn't look great on crosses.

10. irish56

irish56 Member+

Oct 30, 2006
    indy
    Club:
    Los Angeles Galaxy
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Oh no!!! You mean they are all going to quit Europe because they couldn't hack it and wanted to be closer to their actress girlfriends and never show up for the big game.:eek:

By the way Donovan is world class.

11. kkmmtt

kkmmtt Member

Jun 2, 2005
    that's why he does not want to go to Copa America.

12. DestroyerDaMarc

Dec 8, 2005
    New York
    Club:
    Newcastle Jets
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    I have to agree here.

Bornstein looked out of position a lot and hot it need been for his speed, would of easily cost the US at least a goal.

Lee has the most upside. He will be a great creative middie and could easily get the right wing job if he can cross well. From what I saw he did pretty good.

13. jbgeach

jbgeach Member

Apr 5, 2005
    Chattanooga, TN
    First off, Donovan is by far my favorite player, but, when I list top forwards in the world, he isn't very high on the list. However, his performance against equador was amazing. Yet, his performance Saturday night for the Galaxy was poor. In my humble opinion his development was stunted by being unsure of his role.

14. JumboRev

JumboRev Member

Jan 16, 2003
    Toronto
    Agree with most of the thread with one addition - it's great that Bradley isn't afriad to stick a leg in but he's got to stop with the wild lunges. On a few tackles, he came in studs up or with two footers. He got away with it for this match but in qualifying you better believe some ref will run him for it. On other plays, he slid in on loose balls. I like the heart but he would have been better off staying on his feet a little more.

15. Adam Zebrowski

Adam Zebrowski New Member

May 28, 1999
    saw davies play 5 times at bc, and i think he's more a poor mans didier drogba than anyone else...

he was just man handling college kids, now needs to adapt to the pro level...

other good think for him, is he can drop into midfield, and playmake a bit too, but that was never asked of him on saturday....

assume davies matures...pair davies with altidore....

that's gonna be a tough pair up top assuming...

16. galaxyfan03

galaxyfan03 Member

Jul 4, 2001
    Glendale, California
    Club:
    Los Angeles Galaxy
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    I thought Feilhaber & Bradley were VERY solid, Bornstein & Kljestan were good & steady &, despite the lack of time, Davies & Nguyen showed enough to merit a call-up....hopefully, for Copa America!!

I really believe that Nguyen might be the "new JOB" that we've been missing (not to mention, a BIG reason why we flunked at WC 06 IMO) & I hope Nguyen gets a serious look for the Copa America roster, some serious PT there & then finds s Euro club that will give him the first-team experience he needs!!

All around, good performance by the newbies and reason to believe that our depth is getting better & better!!

17. jbgeach

jbgeach Member

Apr 5, 2005
    Chattanooga, TN
    Sorry for bringing up Donovan again, but,

He is going to have to compete for a starting spot in the WC.
    With Johnson, Altidore, Davies there will be some true competition for forward, which is a very good thing for US soccer. Also, there is no further need to put him at AM as we have better options now.

18. JohnR

JohnR Member+

Jun 23, 2000
    Chicago, IL
    110 goals/assists in 129 career MLS starts, will shortly be career leader in goals & assists for USMNT, the best player on the field against World Cup champ Italy, best Young Player at the 2002 World Cup, in the prime of his career ... and we don't need him around? Because he got beaten out by guys who play reserve ball and scored against China?

19. asdf2

asdf2 Member+

Oct 11, 2004
    San Francisco
    Well I hope your right that we create competition for Donovan and he sucked in 2006 but Donovan is by far better and more proven than any of our other options at either forward or AM right now.

20. asdf2

asdf2 Member+

Oct 11, 2004
    San Francisco
    As for the subject at hand:

Bradley - great, MOTM
    Feilhaber - very good
    Klejistan - suprisingly good
    Bornstein - just fine no better in this game though I like him a lot
    Ngyen - nice flashes
    others - I didn't see enough to rate

This game, our team shape, and the vision of our central midfield looked A LOT better in person than on TV this time as ESPN did a ton of useless close up shots so the viewer didn't get a feeling for the real action.

21. kronz21

kronz21 Member

Mar 17, 2006
    cleveland
    i wasnt suprised about klejistan, i am surprised that he didnt get any playing time in the earlier friendlys.

the game did prove we shouldnt use the 4-3-3 unless were forced into it, ive never like that formation and its easy to see why in this game. we would of scored more and wouldnt have let a goal like that go in, in some type of 4-4-2(preferbly the diamond or the bucket)

22. TimB4Last

TimB4Last Member+

May 5, 2006
    Dystopia
    http://www.yanks-abroad.com/content.php?mode=news&id=3163

ONYEWU PLEASED WITH US NEWBIES

"I think Charlie Davies did really well and was involved in some good plays and Lee [Nguyen] had a few cool little dribbles when we were trying to kill out the game that let us get a little breather back there."

Onyewu had nothing but praise for all the new 'Nats, adding, "Sacha was involved in the game winning goal and Kamani made some good runs to open up some things for the other guys."

"All four of the new guys looked like they belonged out there."

23. Adam Zebrowski

Adam Zebrowski New Member

May 28, 1999
    hasn't bradley stated some u-23s would get used in venezuela...

if so, nguyen and davies clearly seem candidates..

i don't see them as starters, but more as guys to fill out the roster, and possibly see some time as a sub...

their u-23 duty thru beijing should be their 2008 national duty, after beijing, wcq will have started.....

hard to project them inot wcq right now...perhaps when usa clinches advancing and has throw away game(s), then give them a look, and let the top guys stay with club or rest

24. jbgeach

jbgeach Member

Apr 5, 2005
    Chattanooga, TN
    I was planning on using Donovan as a forward instead of AM. Not leave him off the team. Also with Altidore, Smith, Davies and Johnson around, he might actually have a little competition

25. due time

due time Member+

Mar 1, 1999
    Santa Clara
    I just hope by 2010 the US is in a position where Landon is the first option off the bench....unless he get's his head on straight and decides to fight for his position.