[R] 20Jan06 - Crystal Palace v. Reading (Hahnemann, Convey)

Discussion in 'Yanks Abroad' started by Wahoo, Jan 20, 2006.

1. pricejd20

pricejd20 New Member

Feb 10, 2004
    London
    fair enough. i actually say "cheers" sometimes too...

2. appoo

appoo Member+

Jul 30, 2001
    USA
    I'm just teasing dude

3. pricejd20

pricejd20 New Member

Feb 10, 2004
    London
    talking about aj's chances of playing for england and showing the chances for him again. only thing you can take from watching those again, is wow, marcus was very very very good tonight.

interviewing johson now. a bit frustrated with coming up against hannemann tonight, "not just tonight, he's been outstanding all season"

commentators coming back in, can't say enough about him. no question he's the difference tonight between a loss and a draw, keeping the unbeaten streak going

4. pricejd20

pricejd20 New Member

Feb 10, 2004
    London
    no worries, get harassed by my buddies back home enough anyway.

actually spoke to one of your fellow psu alumns last night and after mocking me, he thanked me for my boys keeping your boys out of the rose bowl this year :)

5. Jabinho

Jabinho New Member

May 29, 2004
    Longest undefeated streak in the division?

6. jri

jri Red Card

Sep 28, 2000
    boca
    I'd give up my passport for Kiera...:)

7. Californiaspurs

Californiaspurs New Member

Dec 22, 1999
    Santa Clara County
    Club:
    Tottenham Hotspur FC
    Just got back from a Setanta pub lunch with a Palace mate of mine who wasn't too happy with the Palace defending and their reliance on one single tactic: play the long ball to Andy Johnson. Problem was, they were either easily intercepted or they were played way too long. Superbly taken penalty by AJ however.

Reading by contrast looked like a potential Prem team. Not difficult to see why they are top of the league. Good passing and interplay, always looking to create space (not difficult against CPFC), don't give much away at the back, and a variety of build-up options.

I thought the Prem was energetic 'til I saw these guys. The pace was frenetic from beginning to end. No problem with fitness here then.

Convey was way better than I expected or remember from previous times. Very confident, very fast, good vision, great team player. Acceleration. Wow.

"Hey hey USA
    Bobby Convey, he must play"

Hanny must be knocking on the USA #1 door with his level of keeping.

But I was surprised to see Reading's supporter section nowhere near filled up. If they can't bring solid support when they are breaking the record unbeaten run in the second flight, and they only have to travel to London (admittedly South Norwood in the outer fringes of SE London is a bitch to travel home from at night if you are relying on public transport and you live out of town in a different direction), when can they?

[​IMG]

8. RichardL

RichardL BigSoccer Supporter

May 2, 2001
    Berkshire
    Club:
    Reading FC
    Nat'l Team:
    England
    I hope the record they have is Crystal Palace's only copy of "Glad all over" by the Dave Clark Five, and they are going break it into pieces and flush it down the toilet.

Horrible song, which perfectly suits Palace's horrible dark dingy ground. I was never going to pay £30 to go in there when it's live on TV. Mind you, I found games impossible to watch if I'm not there. I can't listen to the radio or anything - it just gets me too edgy. I have to do something else and just check the score every 15 minutes or so.

How did the Kitson injury look? Was it "a knock" or a real "out for a few weeks" type injury?

9. matabala

matabala Member+

Sep 25, 2002
    Is that appoo's girly avatar? Bears a striking resemblance to a wig-wearing Donovan, no?

10. matabala

matabala Member+

Sep 25, 2002
    When you go to a horse race, you pay to see the horses run.

11. Californiaspurs

Californiaspurs New Member

Dec 22, 1999
    Santa Clara County
    Club:
    Tottenham Hotspur FC
    And boy did they run.

BTW The Dave Clark Five hailed from Tottenham so how or why Palace decided to adopt that song I'm not sure.

Selhurst Park has its shortcomings but it has two good things going for it. Whenever Sky is showing the CCC highlights and Palace score a goal at The Holmesdale End the fans reaction always looks superb - it has the look of a classic Kop style terrace with a sea of fans erupting in joy.

Thing #2 is the Glaziers Bar. Lovely place for a pre-game pint I thought. Just don't do what I did and after a few jars, walk out of the wrong (one way) door to find yourself out on the street again. The ticket collector was cool tho' and let me back thru the turnstile even tho' my ticket stub had been torn off already.

A mate has a house round the corner in Thornton Heath (Newcastle fan coz of family ties) so travel to and from has never been an issue for me, fank Gawd.

[​IMG]

12. wjarrettc

wjarrettc Member
    Staff Member

Oct 1, 2002
    Cliffs of Insanity
    Club:
    Carolina Railhawks
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    I'm pretty sure I saw him walking around on the pitch after the match in a track suit congratulating teammates. My guess is that's it's not too serious.

I was at work, ostensibly working but in all actuality blogging the MLS Draft, when my buddy called to ask if I wanted to meet up to watch this game. I hadn't even realized it was on Setanta. Boy I'm glad he called. This was a fantastic game. One of the best I've seen all season at any level.

Andy Johnson should have had 5 goals tonight. With Sven in the stands, Hahnemann may very well have ruined AJ's chances for the World Cup :)

Even with the penaly conceded, Marcus should get a 9 in the ratings. Without, the penalty, he could have been on a 10 (I don't think I've ever said that before).

From the time Reading kicked off after the CP goal until Harper's shot hit the back of the net was 34 seconds. Amazing! I thought they struck back fast against Derby a few weeks back, but that was absolutely a brilliant response.

BTW, when Marcus did his Sky Sports interview to get his MOTM medal, he was there in a skin tight Under Armour shirt. Now I know that when folks are talking about "his guns", they really mean his forearms. MH has massive arms for a keeper.

There is no doubt in my mind that Marcus is headed to Germany as our #2. His positional play and decision making is much more mature than Tim Howard's and from what I saw tonight, I think his reflexes and shot stopping capabilities are just as quick.

13. m vann

m vann Moderator
    Staff Member

Colorado Rapids, Celtic FC, & Louisville City
    Sep 10, 2002
    Denver, CO
    Club:
    Celtic FC
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Another day at the office for Reading. Maybe a little bit of a nailbiter at the end but sounds like great action. You never really can count them out. Not that there were any doubts but Reading flexes its muscle in when it counts and shows who's the best. Marcus is a beast and two games in a row it sounds like Marcus has been the difference. Boy, I have really become a Reading fan this season. Thanks Marcus and Bobby!!

14. Allamerican74

Allamerican74 New Member

Jun 5, 2004

Yes Longest undefeated streak in the 2nd league of England beating Liverpool.

15. Ultra Peanut

Ultra Peanut New Member

Jun 3, 2004
    Achewood
    Club:
    New England Revolution
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    If anyone's got screencaps of this, kindly report to this thread.

16. NBlue

NBlue Member

Jun 17, 2002
    Orlando, Florida
    Club:
    Arsenal FC
    Nat'l Team:
    United States

Goodness gracious.

17. Deuteriumoxide

May 27, 2003
    Rockville, MD
    Club:
    New York Red Bulls
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Yeah you gotta give some kind of warning before you link to that. :p

18. Ultra Peanut

Ultra Peanut New Member

Jun 3, 2004
    Achewood
    Club:
    New England Revolution
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Hey, there's bikini girls on that first page there, too, y'know. ;)

19. Chummer

Chummer Member

Jun 5, 2000
    Virginia
    Praise from both coaches and BBC for Marcus...

http://news.bbc.co.uk/sport2/hi/football/eng_div_1/4612232.stm

# Crystal Palace boss Iain Dowie:
    "That's 16 points from 18 for us, and that's a pleasing run. Our winning streak has been broken, so we need to go on another one.

"We've played a top team tonight and more than matched them.

"Man of the match for them was probably the keeper. I thought we were the better side and I'm a little disappointed not to get three points."

# Reading manager Steve Coppell:
    "On a number of occasions this season, we have been in a tight corner and have got something out of it.

"I thought we'd get an opportunity, but to score straight away - and in the manner we did - I can only compliment the players on a terrific response.

"We were conscious they could hurt us and the back four - or five with keeper Marcus Hahnemann - were brilliant."

20. barmy_army008

barmy_army008 New Member

Sep 12, 2004
    I’m not certain, but I thought that I heard there would be an ‘in-depth’ Bobby Convey interview on Radio Berkshire this afternoon at 5pm (UK Time).

The website doesn’t confirm its on, but there’s the option to listen online from http://www.bbc.co.uk/berkshire so you might want to give it a try.

Sorry if I’m wrong, but thought I’d post just incase.

21. purojogo

purojogo Member

Sep 23, 2001
    US/Peru home
    Club:
    New York Red Bulls
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    that's pretty amazing.... Just for curiosity's sake, a question for anyone: how did the 28 unbeaten streak from Liverpool compare to Reading's 28 (which i know is ongoing, now 29), in terms of "W-D-Ls"?

22. RoyalMan

RoyalMan New Member

May 18, 2002
    Reading
    Well we both have 0 in the L column;)

23. purojogo

purojogo Member

Sep 23, 2001
    US/Peru home
    Club:
    New York Red Bulls
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    slaps forehead (doh!) That was pretty silly.... I meant the other two (W-D) ... but i just noticed that... :)

24. KenC

KenC Member+

Jun 11, 2003
    Catching it right now. Sounds like it's been going for a while. Still sounds like an American. Thank god. Talks about how nice it is to have Marcus around, though he's 10 years older, so he's got more in common with his English teammates.

Commercial break, Bobby will be back to talk about the US' WC chances.

25. KenC

KenC Member+

Jun 11, 2003
    Announcer says, "don't scoff, stranger things have happened" in reference to the US' WC chances.

"hopefully Bobby and big Marcus are in Bruce Arena's side"...hmmm...

Bobby quotes:
    " long shot, but we're growing and doing really really well"
    "good player pool"
    "with such a huge player pool we have to have good players"
    "hopefully we get out of our group"
    if we win, will we have a ticker tape parade, "i don't think so"
    "i don't think many people will care so much"