[R] 20Jan06 - Crystal Palace v. Reading (Hahnemann, Convey)

Discussion in 'Yanks Abroad' started by Wahoo, Jan 20, 2006.

1. pricejd20

pricejd20 New Member

Feb 10, 2004
    London
    20"
    game getting a bit dis-jointed. noone able to string too much posession together. couple of niggly fouls, balls defended out of play

2. Epikoinos

Epikoinos Soccer player-coach-manager-journalist

Arsenal, Real Salt Lake, Forward Madison
    United States
    Jan 6, 2004
    Oregon, WI
    Club:
    Arsenal FC
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    another nice save by marcus

3. pricejd20

pricejd20 New Member

Feb 10, 2004
    London
    21"
    johnson works himself into great position, back to goal, ball played in. turns and just beats the trap. low hard shot to the far post from the corner of the six. mh cuts down the angle and dives low back the way he came from and makes a great save. commentators showing him a lot of love

4. pricejd20

pricejd20 New Member

Feb 10, 2004
    London
    23"
    commentators saying not much that johnson has done wrong on either chance, just beaten by great goalkeeping. almost another chance to johnson, but shorey defends well

5. pricejd20

pricejd20 New Member

Feb 10, 2004
    London
    26"
    little with a cross in, blocked well by palace defense, but not clear. reading keep up pressure and win a fk in right corner

6. pricejd20

pricejd20 New Member

Feb 10, 2004
    London
    27"
    convey with another cross in, just to close to the gk. long throw stolen by reading, but good defending stops the attack. quick counter for palace stymied by kitson chasing back well

7. pricejd20

pricejd20 New Member

Feb 10, 2004
    London
    30"
    game slowing a touch, bit of pinball at the moment. convey controls to kitson, ambitious ball to little goes out for a corner

8. pricejd20

pricejd20 New Member

Feb 10, 2004
    London
    31"
    shorey to convey, back inside to shorey, lovely cross in across the box, swinging back away from the keeper, kitson just not able to get much on a scuffed shot, "just not happening for kitson tonight so far".

both sides still looking dangerous, reading through neat passing and crosses, palace mainly with johnson getting in dangerous positions

9. pricejd20

pricejd20 New Member

Feb 10, 2004
    London
    33"
    commentators saying reading could need as little as 4 more wins for automatic promotion?

knew it was good, but didn't think they were that close?

10. mschofield

mschofield Member+

May 16, 2000
    Berlin
    Club:
    Union Berlin
    Nat'l Team:
    Germany
    "could" being pivotal. If history holds though, they only need five (87 pts).

11. tubby_butter

tubby_butter Member

Mar 22, 2002
    Providence
    my hero

12. pricejd20

pricejd20 New Member

Feb 10, 2004
    London
    37"
    palace continuing to look dangerous on the edge of the reading box. lax defending by reading, but shot just over from the top of the box

13. pricejd20

pricejd20 New Member

Feb 10, 2004
    London
    39"
    convey corner headed clear

14. pricejd20

pricejd20 New Member

Feb 10, 2004
    London
    40"
    johnson continuing to look dangerous. not a great chance by any stretch, but continues to niggle at any long ball. get the feeling any slip may put him through. would still have to beat mh :) but continues to be a threat

15. pricejd20

pricejd20 New Member

Feb 10, 2004
    London
    42"
    pizza late in arriving, but hope it's ok (getting hungry though). long shot by macken well saved by mh - "will take something special to get past this keeper tonight"

16. pricejd20

pricejd20 New Member

Feb 10, 2004
    London
    44"
    palace with a good bit of possession. great cross in from the left, mh comes through with a punch to break up the danger, with a strker waiting in the channel if he doesn't get there - "all or nothing there, but he got all"

17. pricejd20

pricejd20 New Member

Feb 10, 2004
    London
    46"
    goalmouth action in front of the reading goal, palace pushing for the breakthrough before half time. scramble in front, but palace whistled for a mystery foul. mh takes free kick as the ht whistle blows

mh the clear difference in keeping score nil-nil at the half. amazing to think of the points separating these two in watching the first half. no slight on reading, but don't know how palace isn't sitting higher in the table

18. pricejd20

pricejd20 New Member

Feb 10, 2004
    London
    ht
    time for a little halftime poker....

19. mschofield

mschofield Member+

May 16, 2000
    Berlin
    Club:
    Union Berlin
    Nat'l Team:
    Germany
    CP clearly has quality, but they started the season horribly, and they've had two stretches of uninspired play since. Reading are great when they're on, and okay when they slump. In fact, they're just like this when they're under siege, managing to hang on.
    To my mind this is one of the three most difficult games left on the schedule (leeds and shef Uted are the other two). A point tonight would be huge.

20. babeldaob

babeldaob Member

Jan 16, 2003
    What position is Convey playing? .Seems like he was floating all over the midfield. I haven't seen many Reading games so I expected him to hang out on the left side...Anyway MH has played terrific.

21. pricejd20

pricejd20 New Member

Feb 10, 2004
    London
    start of second half, no changes

22. NBlue

NBlue Member

Jun 17, 2002
    Orlando, Florida
    Club:
    Arsenal FC
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    thanks for the link to the video site!! However, mines been buffering for about 5 minutes and is still on 1% -- am I doing something wrong? anyone else with this problem? thanks.

23. pricejd20

pricejd20 New Member

Feb 10, 2004
    London
    48"
    reading on the attack, but can't find the decisive ball. reading looking on top early on. convey involved in linking play, but yet to make a breakthrough

24. Wahoo

Wahoo New Member

Aug 15, 2001
    Seattle, USA
    Agree completely that a point tonight would be huge.

I know some don't like me to use these numbers, but with 2 games in hand on the leaders, CP could theoretically be "only" 10 points shy of Sheffield United. I say only because CP really did start off very badly with 3 wins 1 draw and 4 losses in their first 8 league matches. Ok, maybe that doesn't sound THAT bad, but they were expected to be very strong and 10 points from 8 matches is not what was expected of them.

While I don't think they can catch Reading - they could potentially become a thorn to Sheffield United in my opinion.

25. pricejd20

pricejd20 New Member

Feb 10, 2004
    London
    49"
    the ginger sniper failing to find his form tonight, just can't get hold of a ball played long. gk to palace. played through to convey, cross blocked out