[R] 2008 K-League Championship Match FC Seoul vs Suwon SB 1st Leg

Discussion in 'Korea' started by WuTang2002, Dec 5, 2008.

1. WuTang2002

WuTang2002 Member

Mar 13, 2002
    Bundang, Korea
  2. Amoeba

Amoeba New Member

Dec 6, 2008
    Seoul
    There's a thread at the domestic league forum

3. GuruSky

GuruSky Member

Jan 7, 2004
    Club:
    FC Barcelona
    How was Seongnam embarrassing?

4. Deleted Users

Deleted Users Member+

Nov 25, 2001
    Because they lost to the monkeys.

5. GuruSky

GuruSky Member

Jan 7, 2004
    Club:
    FC Barcelona
    Do we not remember who eliminated Suwon a few years ago?

:)

6. Deleted Users

Deleted Users Member+

Nov 25, 2001
    you guys need to watch this...this is some spectacular shit...

7. Deleted Users

Deleted Users Member+

Nov 25, 2001
    honestly beats any epl match lol..

8. Deleted Users

Deleted Users Member+

Nov 25, 2001
    loved how patriot jung told the grandbleu to shut up lololol thats a real goal celebration

9. Deleted Users

Deleted Users Member+

Nov 25, 2001
    dejan...lolll worthless

10. WuTang2002

WuTang2002 Member

Mar 13, 2002
    Bundang, Korea
    svasco,

I'm currently not in Korea. Do you have any internet link?

11. Deleted Users

Deleted Users Member+

Nov 25, 2001
    yeah im not either so here: http://www.justin.tv/seoultv

this shits heating up if fc seoul dont get it together in the next 10 minutes the seasons over for them..and its not looking good for them..suwon's force, the atmosphere seems like its overwhelming them

12. Deleted Users

Deleted Users Member+

Nov 25, 2001
    hahah congrats suwon 2-1 FT

13. WuTang2002

WuTang2002 Member

Mar 13, 2002
    Bundang, Korea
    damn... missed the game.

BumKeun a, I'll forgive you if you kick Kashima monkeys' ass.

14. JASF

JASF Member

May 26, 2006
    Suwon minus Edu = Seoul victory. Edu singlehandly was the Suwon's offense the entire game. Can anyone from Suwon, aside from Edu, cross the ball from the left? Also, that Suwon player who missed a sitter... wow, just wow.

I don't get why neither team tried to take the control in the middle and establish some sort of tempo.

15. Deleted Users

Deleted Users Member+

Nov 25, 2001
    you just watched the second half, huh

Edu was destructive but MoM was Mato. How many cuts did he have?

16. JASF

JASF Member

May 26, 2006
    Can't give MOTM to a defender when Edu was responsible for both goals Suwon scored, and practically was a threat everytime he was isolated on the wing. Without Edu, Suwon would not have scored any goals and would have lost the match since Seoul looked threatening at times even with Mato, your MOTM, playing well. Of course Mato wasn't helped by Suwon's LB who was absolutely horrendous...

17. GuruSky

GuruSky Member

Jan 7, 2004
    Club:
    FC Barcelona
    If you're talking about Lee Jung-soo, I thought he played solid defense all throughout the match. He even made some huge defensive plays down the stretch when FC Seoul started pushing up hard.

You made an interesting point about Suwon's lack of quality crosses and control in the middle. They've been playing that way since Lee Kwan-woo was relegated to the bench. They'll play deep for majority of the time, quickly move the ball up to either Edu or Bae Ki-jong without much ball movement, give one of them a clear-out for an isolation play in open field.

I thought it was a good game, but the weather was a huge factor. Another reason for the league to get their shite together and come up with a schedule that will end the league by mid-November.

I wish Shin Young-rok's shot late in the game went in instead of hitting the post. That would've been a cracking goal. I really wanted to see him boost up his confidence a bit to end the season.

Anyways. Edu for MVP!

18. GuruSky

GuruSky Member

Jan 7, 2004
    Club:
    FC Barcelona
    Oh actually if you mean Suwon's LB who started the game, you're probably talking about Kim Dae-eui. He's naturally an attacking player. Played forward and winger his entire career. Cha Boom started using him as a FB when Suwon started having injury issues with their defenders earlier in the year and his man-marking was surprisingly impressive.

That was about it, though. He later showed that he's not very good at communicating with the rest of the backline and struggled with spacing, etc. His defensive weaknesses showed again today and that's when Cha moved him up to midfield and played Lee Jung-soo in his position instead after Baek Ji-hoon came on.

By the way, Mato was great as always, but FC Seoul LB Adi is truly a stud on defense. I know the style of defense he plays is completely different from the type of defense Mato plays, but I'd rather have him on my team than Mato any day of the week. And that's saying a lot because Mato is a GREAT player.

I honestly think Adi can play for any club in the world. While Mato's great defensive skills are limited because of his below average pace and inability to defend back-door runs--Adi has the mobility and quickness to go along with his man-marking and tackling abilities which are nothing short of top-class. I've seen him play since he first came to K-League about three seasons ago and have yet to see him make a mistake. He did get punk'd by Kwak Hee-ju today, though. Kwak Hee-ju is a fuggin' gangster.

And did anyone else see Kim Jin-gyu trying to play the peacemaker when Kwak Hee-ju got in Adi's face? That was quite refreshing, but of course it didn't take long for him to get lost in his own stupidity once again when later he started shite with one of Suwon players for no reason and started making these hideous faces that made him look like a kid with down-syndrome.

And one has to wonder why Senol Gunes didn't throw a veteran like Lee Eul-yong into the game. FC Seoul clearly needed a veteran in midfield to run things more smoothly, because their players were evidently overwhelmed by the atmosphere but instead, Senol subbed in more inexperienced young players who ended up doing nothing.

19. JASF

JASF Member

May 26, 2006
    The FB I was referring to was the one who got exposed greatly in the first half, including the one that led to Seoul PK. He clearly was not on the same page as the rest of backline, and let in a handful of through passes get by him.

I thought the pitch was below the par today which had an effect on the ball bouncing in every direction. Looked like it was snowing at the end of match also. I know it was freaking cold as hell yesterday in Seoul, but today wasn't that bad weather (I live about 30 min south of Suwon).

If what you said about Suwon's strategy is true, then they are playing a dangerous football by relying too much on Edu. If he goes down, then so does Suwon.

Both teams really need a top class MF who can control the tempo of the game. They need someone who demands the ball in the middle and can ditribute it into the open space (something that was seriously lacking in this match) where teammates can run into. What happened to Kim Nam Il? I thought he plays for Suwon...?

FYI, I don't follow K-league.

20. Deleted Users

Deleted Users Member+

Nov 25, 2001
    Yeah, true. Edu does deserve to be the MoM.

21. Deleted Users

Deleted Users Member+

Nov 25, 2001
    I agree with your assessment on Suwon's offense. But I'm not sure if there are many teams in this world that could've actively controlled the ball that game, especially with all the pressure in the midfield. Suwon beat FC Seoul by outpacing them and it kinda reminded me of FC Korea's strategy in 2002. All in all, judging from the last two games, FC Seoul was the sexier team. But they just didn't have the experience or the speed to outpass Suwon in the middle. I think FC Seoul were unlucky and Dejan needs to be shot. He missed two sitters at the first leg and looked like a 50 year old yesterday.

22. Deleted Users

Deleted Users Member+

Nov 25, 2001
    Haha, Adi did everything to get punked that game. But Kim Jin-gyu is just a moron. I actually like hot-headed players like Kim Jin-gyu or Lee Cheong-yong but Kim Jin-gyu just looked like a hypocrite.

Speaking of Kim Jin-gyu, I think he has got to have the worst ball control in the world.

23. JASF

JASF Member

May 26, 2006

Well, both teams claimed to have played 4-4-2 but there were too many occasions where the ball movement was channelled via sidelines, particularly in Suwon's case. At least Seoul put an effort to move the ball through middle..., but in Suwon's case, it's a waste to put 2 central players when they aren't going to be a part of the ball movement. The original formation showed 4-4-2 but it just seemed like they didn't play to it (but not 4-3-3).

The only similarity, aside from the ball movement via sidelines, I saw in that game with WC02 was that both teams (Suwon and Seoul) really crowded the ball carrier in the middle of field. But, unlike in 2002, they couldn't string more than 2 passes in a row. I thought the poor pitch condition did have some affect on this as players appeared to have a hard time putting putting the ball on the ground with pace (it was wet and bumpy). I don't know if it was a strategic deficit or lack of skill players, but neither offense tried to utilize the space left by defenders crowding the ball carrier. In Suwon's case, the central player was almost always open when the ball was played to the touchline.

24. Deleted Users

Deleted Users Member+

Nov 25, 2001
    JASF:

Now I think you're simply hiding behind your qualitative judgement (meaning: I don't really see what your point is) re: the game. I'm not sure what your standards are but clearly, the performance was sub-par.

Frankly, I think your standards are quite strict and biased for that matter. Although I am not confident in Suwon's ability to string more than 3 passes against any opposition, this is not true for FC Seoul. However, what makes Suwon a great team is their ability to apply pressure, regardless of opposition. As a man that believes in the following: "offense may win games, but defense wins championships", I am not sure if there many teams in this world that can successfully play a game of your standard against them. Meaning, although I'm confident that Manchester United could beat Suwon should MU play in the K-League final against them, I don't think it will be a very pretty victory.

In addition, I assume that your problem is a very simple one in the sense the ball could not be played more towards the center, when a man was clearly open. Life, in all its fullness, can provide this answer. When a ball is played at a certain part of the field, its only natural for other parts of the field to have space. This is like saying, why they didn't move the ball side-to-side at a faster at a more accurate pace. You see this as a tactical or a skill deficit but I call it: players under pressure. But then again, that's Suwon at its finest, so the point is moot.

Finally, you've mentioned that you don't watch the K-League. If it were any other season game, (although I'm confident that you wouldn't have experienced the speed of the intensity), I would normally agree. But should this type of game been played at the World Cup finals (the closest was Brazil v Italy in 94), in terms of intensity and atmosphere, most would likely say that it was one helluva game. If you don't believe me, ask KBS that struck a record high 8% K-League TV rating. So lets just end this on a lighter note, enjoy the results, and start nit-picking once the ACL begins.

On a seperate note, I think that you possess a keen eye for the game, which I admire. I hope that you keep following the league. It gets pretty interesting.

25. Almogavar92

Almogavar92 New Member

Aug 17, 2001
    USA
    Club:
    Galatasaray SK
    Nat'l Team:
    Korea Republic
    What was the attendance over the two-legs? I'm interested since this championship was contested by two teams that arguably have the biggest rivalry in Korea.