[R] 11/09/03 Metros vs Revs - Game 2 Pre / PBP / Post Game Thread

Discussion in 'New York Red Bulls' started by nyrmetros, Nov 9, 2003.

1. Deuteriumoxide

May 27, 2003
    Rockville, MD
    Club:
    New York Red Bulls
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Satan Burn!

2. TTweLLMan

TTweLLMan New Member

Jun 3, 2002
    Middleboro MA
    wow.... what a whiney fucking Bitch...

3. nyrmetros

nyrmetros Member

Feb 7, 2004
    Which one????

4. NeSpazz

NeSpazz New Member

Jun 4, 2002
    Framingham
    Club:
    New England Revolution
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Truly pathetic. I must say, I am not surprised that someone is being so inappropriate and nasty towards the Revs. Are you serious, Michael K? Wishing career ending injuries on players just because they won? I am a Revs fan and I have never wished anything like that on any players, even Clint Mathis. To talk like that is just dumb, and it doesn't make a difference with the outcome. You are obviously sore about the loss, and my advice is to drown your sorrows in a few drinks. We Revs fans know all about frustration and losing, so no *#*#*#*#*# you talk hurts us. It also changes nothing: the Metros lost, and your attitude still sucks. Get a life, and better luck next season. And we sure are soccer smiling tonight, with our WIN!!!! As to the rest of the Metros fans who made the trip to Gillette, and the ones at Giants Stadium last week, we will see you next year--we know it will always be a battle against you all, and we look forward to it! If only everyone could have a sportsmanlike attitude the way most of us do.....
    Spazz

5. Michael K.

Michael K. Member

Mar 3, 1999
    There or Thereabouts
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    (God almighty, I can't even be bothered to do the stupid rolleyes thing answering this) No.

6. NeSpazz

NeSpazz New Member

Jun 4, 2002
    Framingham
    Club:
    New England Revolution
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    well, then, I am glad to hear it! You know, these boards make it hard to guage whether someone is serious...I wouldn't even be able to see you roll your eyes if you did. ;)
    Spazz

7. Metrosuccess

Metrosuccess Member

Jan 6, 2000
    NJ
    Club:
    New York Red Bulls
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    It was good to see when we needed two goals to put it into OT that Clint and Geuvara were back in our end and the likes of Le Blanc and Leich were in the offensive third. Two most dangerous players potentially and they are taking a defensive position on the pitch. I do not get it with this team and probably never will.

8. Michael K.

Michael K. Member

Mar 3, 1999
    There or Thereabouts
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    In the final analysis: we lost this series the moment we put this starting lineup on the field, and got a little silly with our everyone-forward tactics right at the start. I don't want to pile on Bradley any more than I want to pile on Clint - I won't do either - but he overdid it today.

Yes, we needed goals, and yes we needed at least one early, but to my mind (then again, I've never won an MLS Cup) Bob messed up by lining up so many offensive players at the beginning; for their part, they ALL - Clint, Amado, Gaven - played as if they had all just met for the first time. It's a 90 minute game - plenty of time to get 2 goals if we kept our heads and played at our best - but when we're 10 minutes in and Jolley and Pope are the only two defenders back, struggling against odd-man break after odd-man break, then something is wrong.

Another way of looking at it is that Bradley was rolling the dice, hoping that all our offensive players clicked all at once and we somehow just blew New England out. It wasn't to be.

9. Jon Martin

Jon Martin Member+

Apr 25, 2000
    SE Mass
    You people would have been proud of the ESC guys who made the trip - they were in fine voice. It was seriously cold, and they kept up the singing.

In all fairness, it was uphill for Metro from the start of this match. I actually thought Metro looked much better than they looked (on TV at least) at the swamp. Clint was much more of a threat in midfield than he had been at forward a week ago. I agree that the absence of wing play hurt.

See you next year, and sorry about the trolls.

10. Arisrules

Arisrules Member

Feb 19, 2000
    Washington, DC
    This had to have been Clark's worst game of the season. Except from some superb effort in the late second half, he was pretty horrible. Cancela and Ralston, even Moore, owned him. This is difficult for me to say, because I love Clark as a player so much. Magee was a nonfactor for most of the time he was in. Wolyniec played hard, but he made some stupid mistakes. As in pushing off Leonard when he clearly had the time and space to get to the ball and cross it to Mathis who was streaking in alone.

Mathis was good in the first half. Anything contructive that we had came off of his feet, and he showed a lot of energy. I was surprised by how little people would go to him, even if he was wide open.

ESC was good today, I was sitting to the left and about 20 rows back.

As for NE, their midfield is just so good right now. Their forwards, are alright. Their defense is average at best. Their midfield, starting with Cancela is just so well connected it's ridiculous. They were just pinging balls all over the place in the first half. Their goal, had a beauitful setup. Cancela is an extraordinary player, and the find of the season by my estimations.

As for Bradley's tactics. I think we had to do something. Putting on all those offensive players was our best bet probably, since we haven't scored a goal in so long. What killed us here today, and the whole second half is the lack of wingplay. It might have been better if he had gone out and found a winger instead of Juskowiak. At least then, we could shore up one side of the field. Obviously it's easy to second guess after the fact, but I'm looking forward to next season.

Finally, why do we talk so much? Gueverra talks and hugs everyone as if it is his job. Mathis, I love you man, but just stop paying attention to the Ref. We all know the ref sucked, but that is out of your hands.

If Mathis doesn't come back, I wish him luck wherever he goes. He's been the best Metro by far. Tab was the most talented, but he never had the impact he should have had because of injury.

11. nyrmetros

nyrmetros Member

Feb 7, 2004
    Hells yea ESC!!!

12. JMMUSA8

JMMUSA8 New Member

Nov 3, 2001
    Webster
    Club:
    New England Revolution
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    For the ESC members who went to the game and read this thread, I want to thank you for coming and providing a fun atmosphere. Playoff games are great when opposing team's fans are there. Good luck next season.

Michael K, grow up. Its a *#*#*#*#ing game!

13. nsa

nsa Member+

New England Revolution
    United States
    Feb 22, 1999
    Notboston, MA
    Club:
    New England Revolution
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Well, maybe Auntie RatsAss. ;)

14. Arisrules

Arisrules Member

Feb 19, 2000
    Washington, DC
    Alright. Random question, who has the highest post/day ratio on these boards?

15. Michael K.

Michael K. Member

Mar 3, 1999
    There or Thereabouts
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    And an old friend scores a perfectly placed shot to take SJ through.

16. bert patenaude

Apr 16, 2001
    White Plains, NY
    That was a game for the ages. Do not forget the golden child who set it up.

17. sccrhound

sccrhound Member

Oct 8, 2002
    CT
    Club:
    New York Red Bulls
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Jolley and Lisi came by and they gave their jerseys. Saw several players after the game. Guevara was the only one who stopped. The rest seemed too po'd. Which is a good thing.

18. obie

obie New Member

Nov 18, 1998
    NY, NY
    Club:
    New York Red Bulls
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Good for Rodrigo. He's been through the personal and professional ringer this season, and as long as he's not playing for Chicago, a long playoff run for him wouldn't bother me in the least.

That game was a classic, by the way.

19. Michael K.

Michael K. Member

Mar 3, 1999
    There or Thereabouts
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Absolutely. Actually made me feel a little bit better to watch it.

And yeah...I did like seeing him get the winner - good for him. It doesn't take away from what we got in the Bradley deal, which is now a hell of a lot of hope for the future.

20. jamison

jamison Member

Sep 25, 2000
    NYC
    Well, just got home from the bus trip, after leaving at 7:45am this morning. Ahhh....I'll be effective at work tomorrow.

As for the trip, it was a good time, however our penchant for dubious videotape selection once again reared it's ugly head. We are strange eggs.

Thanks to the metro front office who hooked us up with a lot of beer, soda, water and snacks. More than a few of us took the opportunity to drink and be merry, and there were some merry mofo's by the time out pouting bus driver pulled a DB Cooper in the parking lot at Foxboro. (Dude, it took you 90 minutes to find a sandwich? And learn about the Lincoln fking tunnel, willya? It is your friend).

Thanks also to all of the metro boys who turned up for the trip, as well as those local Boston Metro types. First, it was "underwear in the icebox" cold. Second, we were drunk. It was "Koch memorial foxboro free beer drunk fest night", and we took full advantage. Third, we were cold. But we had a good time, sang for the team, and didn't turn on them or quit when it got very obvious that the game was not going to OT. Just like last year, the team walked off the field with only mild acknowledgement (Walker, Pope and Bradley clapped at us; I did not see Amado from where I was). Jolley first, then Lisi after him came over and shook all of our hands, passed our jerseys and those two alone personally thanked us for coming. Jolley has proven again that he bleeds Metro along with us, perhaps as no other player does. He is the man. We get that he isn't Paolo Maldini, but he is a fan favorite for all of the right reasons.

On the game, all I can say is that we let Noonan get an open chance and you saw the shot coming a pass before he shot it, but it was nicely taken shot. Wish we could do that whole "Find the part of the goal where the goalie isn't standing and shoot there" thing more often. I hate to sound partisan, but the ref was an absolute joke. Re-watch the first half and count the whistles in minutes 1-35. I felt like I was watching USA play in Guatemala. And the second half experienced an interesting mind meld experiment when a number of the Revs players mistook the grass for the beaches of cape cod and took to lying around on the ground for extended periods of time, only to get the magical Mr. Miagi rub down and return to perfect health. Fabbro, Moore, I'm talking at ya'. Fabbro in particular, who I think was subbed off to prevent a card he was being so blatant about it. And yeah, Cancella was a diver but we got a call and lost a couple of others on him, what can you do. With the Amado goal at the half we had a chance (Vistula, we got the "Si se puede" (sp?) chant in there for ya), but when Nuge went wide left, you knew it wasn't going to get much better than that. Which it did not.

On the team, it seemed they played hard but not smart most of the game, and they all looked pretty tight out there. Sloppy and nervous at times, really.

I can only hope that they turn the best work ethic in MLS into a repeat performance next year and with more experience and talent are able to progress. This team is better than last year, and hopefully with some extra guys we can put out New England's lights ni '04.

If Pat Noonan wins MLS Rookie of the Year, Metro deserve a commission.

To Monty and the Rev fans, peace.

Anyway, thanks to the ESC guys who did showed up, and to Metro for not mailing in the performance we saw at the same park last year. Considering we made a cup final and the playoffs, it was a good year. Disappointing end, but a good year. One step at a time, I guess.

Time to pass out. Looking forward to the DanR draft pick thread.

21. MetroFever

MetroFever Member+

Jun 3, 2001
    Club:
    New York Red Bulls
    Nat'l Team:
    Croatia
    You couldn't have written a better script than this.

The same day Bradley & Co. are eliminated from the playoffs, Faria (the guy the Metros gave up to get Bradley) scores the golden-goal for SJ to advance to the next round.

This sounds a lot better than the "Jessica Lynch Story".

22. UpTheMetro

UpTheMetro Member

Jun 3, 1999
    New York
    Real good atmosphere behind the goal last night, even when we were losing. It shows a lot of heart. Props to the ESC for another well done bus trip. I was one of the local boston area fans, so I wasn't on the bus. We got a little worried when the game was about to start and there were about 8 Metro fans total in the section.

Practically the entire Metro Front Office drove up for the game. Given they sat in the nice warm club seats, but everyone from interns to Washo was there (and i'm sure Nick was probably there too). So for everyone that doesn't think they care about the team, they do - its just hard to tell sometimes.

23. nyrmetros

nyrmetros Member

Feb 7, 2004
    I'm glad that the entire MFO made the trip up to the game. Did any of them come over to the ESC to chat, say thank you for supporting the team, etc.. ?

24. sccrhound

sccrhound Member

Oct 8, 2002
    CT
    Club:
    New York Red Bulls
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Not that I saw.

25. jamison

jamison Member

Sep 25, 2000
    NYC
    No, but what did you expect them to do, really? They were there to do their thing, we were there to do ours. Frankly, for all the crap they take on the boards, would you walk over to say hi? Likely not. Some of the crap they take is deserved, some not, but they generally try to keep a respectful distance.

After the game we went over and thanked them for the free foodstuffs and for their work during the season, talked to them for about 5 minutes, etc.