R̶u̶m̶b̶e̶l̶o̶w̶s Carabao Cup, Arsenal V Liverpool 6 Jan 2022

Discussion in 'Arsenal' started by And_ROOS, Jan 3, 2022.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. And_ROOS

And_ROOS Member+

Dec 30, 2006
    Melbourne, Aus
    upload_2022-1-4_10-38-45.png

USA: January 6 - 2:45pm: vs Liverpool (Carabao Cup) - ESPN+
    CAN: January 6 - 2:45pm: vs Liverpool (Carabao Cup) - DAZN
    AUS: January 7 - 6:45am: vs Liverpool (Carabao Cup) - OPTUS

First of 2 legs in the Careless Cup, and we get a Pool team missing players for the AFCON but I would suspect with CL commitments, being top 3 in the League and FA Cup matches flying in, they will put out a weaker lineup.

Suits us, we should be trying to win every competition we are in when we play Pool this week and then Nottingham Forest on the weekend in the FA Cup. Lets try and batter them in the first leg and knock them out.

Would love a Carabao Cup/FA Cup double, and with no Europe and a team in form we are in the position to make it happen.

3-1 win to the Arsenal!

2. leppercut

leppercut Member+

Oct 10, 2006
    SLC and Anchorage
    Club:
    Arsenal FC
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Hopefully, the fixture isn't canceled. I kind of wish these were only one-leg, and if it gets canceled they may be. Either way, we should definitely try to win it.

3. Bluto11

Bluto11 The sky is falling!

May 16, 2003
    Chicago, IL
    Well, Liverpool have asked for this to be postponed. Make it one leg, with the one leg at the Emirates.

GunnerJacket and CarlosKaiser repped this.
  4. And_ROOS

And_ROOS Member+

Dec 30, 2006
    Melbourne, Aus
    Honestly think only the final should be two legs, and even then I still prefer these sponsor cups to be single legs with the final at a neutral venue.

leppercut repped this.
  5. leppercut

leppercut Member+

Oct 10, 2006
    SLC and Anchorage
    Club:
    Arsenal FC
    Nat'l Team:
    United States

6. And_ROOS

And_ROOS Member+

Dec 30, 2006
    Melbourne, Aus
    I mean, have they forgotten they got to play AV last year with a full squad while the Villa team was made up of U13s and coached an elderly man they found in a park nearby?

7. And_ROOS

And_ROOS Member+

Dec 30, 2006
    Melbourne, Aus
    There was ZERO sympathy for us against Brentford when we had players out with covid, just memes and "banter" but now all these clubs suffer from covid and they want sympathy.

******** outta here with that.

daedalus, danielh, Subzero and 3 others repped this.
  8. NorthBank

NorthBank Member+

Arsenal; NYRB
    United States
    Mar 29, 2006
    Connecticut
    Club:
    Arsenal FC
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    That's some notable optimism there!

p.s. Thanks for starting the thread... with any luck you won't be one-and-done with Liverpool like I was for Everton.

p.p.s. Technically you should've named the thread: "League/Milk/Littelwoods/Rumbelows/Coca-Cola/Worthingtons/Carling/CapitalOne/EFL/Carabao Cup"

p.p.p.s. How did you make strike-through font happen in the thread title?

9. And_ROOS

And_ROOS Member+

Dec 30, 2006
    Melbourne, Aus
    I was playing to use the Worthingtons name if I am still doing match threads for the return leg :D

Also : https://www.piliapp.com/cool-text/strikethrough-text/

10. GunnerJacket

GunnerJacket Moderator
    Staff Member

Sep 18, 2003
    Gainesville, GA
    Club:
    Arsenal FC
    Curious. Is there a way to certify it is Covid, and not simply "Hey, we're fatigued and coming off a rough display, so how can we buy more time?"

11. Pauncho

Pauncho Member+

Mar 2, 1999
    Bexley, Ohio
    Club:
    Columbus Crew
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    The postponement has been granted.

12. NorthBank

NorthBank Member+

Arsenal; NYRB
    United States
    Mar 29, 2006
    Connecticut
    Club:
    Arsenal FC
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    #12 NorthBank, Jan 5, 2022
    Last edited: Jan 5, 2022
    I suspect it's honor code. However, I think it would be pretty easy to suss out whether a club was lying, so I kind doubt they would?

Also, there's a lot of (broadcast) pressure on our marquee fixture to go ahead, so I'm assuming it'll go ahead, unless one of the contestants dips well below 13+1 players available. (though I'm not sure if 13+1 is also the EFL's standard... I've only heard about it for the EPL)

Personally I think clubs should just be bolstering their gameday squads with more U23's, especially in a competition like League Cup. And lastly, I believe 5 subs are available in this tournament.

Edit: Oops, I missed the subsequent post by Pancho that said the match is off. Shows how much I know!

13. Bluto11

Bluto11 The sky is falling!

May 16, 2003
    Chicago, IL
    So they have three players on the Covid list? What a crock of shit.

daedalus and NorthBank repped this.
  14. And_ROOS

And_ROOS Member+

Dec 30, 2006
    Melbourne, Aus
    Well mods might as well change the thread title to postponed and I will make an FA Cup thread tomorrow.

15. And_ROOS

And_ROOS Member+

Dec 30, 2006
    Melbourne, Aus
  16. NorthBank

NorthBank Member+

Arsenal; NYRB
    United States
    Mar 29, 2006
    Connecticut
    Club:
    Arsenal FC
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Thanks. But hmm... this could throw a little wrench into the works of BigSoccer etiquette.

As long as we don't lose every match between now and when this EFL Cup leg 1 gets rescheduled, then all's good... And_ROOS you're still our shepherd. But if we slip up between now and then and we switch horses, then what?

OK, OK you say! This is not worth worrying about now... if at all. Let's just see how it all works out.

Edit: I see now that the tentative date for playing this match is Jan.20. So between now and then we have: @Forest, @spuds, @Pool. Hmm.

17. And_ROOS

And_ROOS Member+

Dec 30, 2006
    Melbourne, Aus
    Haha change the title to the FA Cup match dates/opposition. and I will post new times etc in the thread.

18. yossarian

yossarian Moderator
    Staff Member

Jun 16, 1999
    Big City Blinking
    Club:
    Arsenal FC
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Nah, just start an FA Cup thread for the match against Robin Hood et al., and I'll bin this one.

And_ROOS repped this.
  19. GunnerJacket

GunnerJacket Moderator
    Staff Member

Sep 18, 2003
    Gainesville, GA
    Club:
    Arsenal FC
    Make 'em forfeit. 3-0.

20. BIGHMW

BIGHMW Member+

Oct 10, 2010
    Port Townsend, WA
    Club:
    Arsenal FC
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    I'M BACK!!!

Hulu will be officially off of its 120-day pause a few days early for this one, WTF did I miss!!! I just watched our decimation of Leeds away in PL play and Emile Smith-Rowe and The Gunners actually have a chance of MAKING EUROPE next season am I right??? ....and we were wearing our beautiful third kits in that away win to Leeds at that!!! I'm glad i got mine early on!!! Next will be a short-sleeved GK kit and also the away off-yellow to complete the set and tomorrow I'll be donning out home red/white, of course, even if it goddamn 40-degrees outside here in Port Townsend!!! COYF'n'G!!! IT'S TROPHY TIME BABY!!!

21. casoccerdad47

casoccerdad47 Member+

Mar 31, 2006
    Liverpool’s website includes the following injuries and illnesses

Injury details and expected returns

Joel Matip - Covid - Expected return date: Within the next week
    Roberto Firmino - Covid - Expected return date: Within the next week
    Alisson Becker - Covid - Expected return date: Within the next week
    Thiago Alcantara - Covid - Expected return date: Within the next week
    Harvey Elliott - Ankle - Expected return date: In the next month

Elsewhere I have seen Minamino, and Phillips as missing through injury, while Salah, Mane and Keita are at AFCON and Robertson is suspended. If Minamino and Phillips are also injured thats 10 field players from a roster of 23 first team field players, leaving them with just 13 healthy field players. Assuming the EFL doesn’t want to push teams to fill out their game day roster with U21s from their academy. One more covid case would put them below the EFL criteria.

22. NorthBank

NorthBank Member+

Arsenal; NYRB
    United States
    Mar 29, 2006
    Connecticut
    Club:
    Arsenal FC
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Instead of deleting it, maybe just add "PPD" to the thread title and close the thread??? (at some point, but maybe not quite yet? since there's still some chatter about this PPD decision)

23. NorthBank

NorthBank Member+

Arsenal; NYRB
    United States
    Mar 29, 2006
    Connecticut
    Club:
    Arsenal FC
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    So if they have 13+1, then why did it get PPD'd?

It seems to me this decision is to our disadvantage, since we seem to be in better shape squad-wise.

Now they get a chance to recover some or all of their Covid players, and the tie starts in 1 week at Anfield instead of the Grove.

Also, is it safe to assume that none of the AFCON players will be back by Jan.20?? Especially not Salah & Mane?

24. And_ROOS

And_ROOS Member+

Dec 30, 2006
    Melbourne, Aus
  25. DutchCane

DutchCane Member+

Apr 6, 2004
    New York, New York
    So when will this game be played?