Révolution Rouge et Noire - Stade Rennais Thread

Discussion in 'France: Clubs' started by gary_rb, Feb 24, 2005.

1. gary_rb

gary_rb New Member

Dec 21, 2003
    Rennes
    [​IMG]

EDITO:

The 104 years old club from Brittany has found its place in the middle table of Ligue1 for many years. After many failures since the club was bought by a local multi-billionaire entrepreneur, the club decided to slowly build a team over a few years, thanks to its formation centre, while keeping its best players and sweeping away its ghosts from the past (as in recruitment mistakes.. BIG ONES ;) )

That's when Lazslo Boloni was called and came from Sporting Lisboa to coach Rennes. He managed to build a very pleasant team, from the ashes that Vahid left after leaving for PSG. He injected his science of technical, fast, 1-touch collective football, which now makes Stade Rennais one of the teams with the most beautiful game style.

The team's weak spot is its unability to win away games. The statistics are quite amazing, it's actually the best team of Ligue1 at home, while it has only earned 3 points in away games.
    Anyway, the staff doesn't really seem to care about this fact, since the claimed objective for this season was to find a place in the Top10. But we know that with such great games provided at home, they could easily be a challenger for the Top5 if they managed to solve this psychologic and motivation problem.

Anyway, even with such bad performances in away games, the team looks quite confident, and the fans are happy because home games, in the beautiful recently renovated Stade de la Route de Lorient, are the occasion of a great show. And fans are also confident that this team will soon manage to establish itself in the Top5, because of its talented technical players.
    Now, the challenge for the staff is to make players like Monterubio, Sorlin, Frei and Maoulida sign a new contract, either way they will go freely, except for Frei, who has claimed he would think about leaving only if he had an offer from Lyon, Bayern München or Barça. Some of them have indeed already shown their interest in staying with Rennes, if Barça doesn't want them ;), and Etienne Didot, one of the best young players of Rennes (and of France, U21) has lit the way by signing a new 3 years contract.
    If we can keep most of these key players, the next seasons are really going to be great.
    Rennes formation centre has been improving year after year, and is now ranked 2nd best, after Auxerre's. It is the biggest provider of players for France U21 team.

The future holds the biggest hopes of all rennais, and it may start in the near future with the Coupe de France, the only remaining objective of Rennes for this season.. but everything is still possible, if the team wakes up in away games!
    Stay tuned!

Upcoming games:

02/27/05 : Ligue1 : Lille - Rennes (6 PM GMT+1)
    03/02/05 : Coupe de France : Rennes - Monaco (5 PM GMT+1)

[​IMG]
    Yoann Gourcuff, 18 years old Offensive Midfielder and product of the formation centre, has managed to find its place in the A team within a few games, and is a serious challenger for Kim Källström. He's a future star of football!​

2. SportBoy333

SportBoy333 Member+

Jun 27, 2003
    What's their nickname ? I like their colors red and black. How big is the city of Rennes ?

3. gaijin

gaijin New Member

Aug 1, 2004
    Malaysia
    I thinks its the biggest in Brittany. Could be wrong though.

Nice thread gary, hope you can update it regularly for us. I like to know whats happening from other teams in Ligue 1. ;)

4. Nanbawan

Nanbawan Member

Jun 11, 2004
    Haute Bretagne
    Club:
    Stade Rennais FC
    Nat'l Team:
    France

Nickname : "Les Rouges et Noirs" => the Reds & Blacks (not very original) ; thet were also known as a team which was making "l'ascenseur" (the elevator) because at the time they couldn't settle in the first division so they were going up and down each and every season. :eek:

Rennes is the capital of Brittany, traditionally, Nantes is also part of Brittany but not administratively now.

Rennes is the 10th city by population in France. The city is surrounded by a lot of small towns, they all merged in the Rennes District. What is distinctive in this city is that you can really live in the countryside, take the bus and rejoin the city center easily. Rennes is also known to be the smallest city in the world to have a subway...It's a student city, if you stroll in the center in the afternoon ; you have the impression of being in a big campus(I studied there of course). It's the rock city of France as it stages "Les Transmusicales" festival where, for instance, Nirvana was discovered for most of the European ears.

Despite the fact of being a provincial bourgeoisie city, it's also a city of social contestation background. The very good point being that Rennes was certainly the place where J.M. Le Pen had the less votings during the last presidential elections (smthg like 95-5 ).

The biggest French Citroën plant is located there and it is one of France's biggest and finest R&D technopole concerning telecommunications and automation.

50 mi. North of Rennes is the Emerald coast (because the sea really has this colour) where you can find Dinard, Cancale and St Malo...and St Briac where John F. Kerry used to spend his hollidays as a youngster (I like to remind that). St Malo is the corsair city where Chateaubriand is burried and where M Jacques Cartier left to discover Quebec, the Saint-Laurent river and most of Eastern Canada. That's why there is a strong relationship here with our French Canadian cousins ;) .

5. gary_rb

gary_rb New Member

Dec 21, 2003
    Rennes
    the team is simply called "les Rouge et Noirs" (the red and blacks)

the city itself has 210 000 inhabitants, it's the 10th biggest of France. and the metropole has 375 000 inhabitants. the population is quite young since there are 60 000 students

here's a link with the goals of last game : Rennes 4 - 1 Nice
    http://yolda.free.fr/Rennes-Nice.avi

6. gary_rb

gary_rb New Member

Dec 21, 2003
    Rennes
    lol, Nanbawan did a better job than me here ;)

7. Nanbawan

Nanbawan Member

Jun 11, 2004
    Haute Bretagne
    Club:
    Stade Rennais FC
    Nat'l Team:
    France
    Slow too much you are, young padawan ;)

[​IMG]

8. RandyNA74

RandyNA74 Member

Jun 9, 2004
    Washington, DC
    Club:
    SSC Napoli
    Nat'l Team:
    Italy
    After only a few hours, this is already one of the coolest threads on BigSoccer. :cool:

9. gary_rb

gary_rb New Member

Dec 21, 2003
    Rennes
    The Brazilian international, Dudu Cearense, on loan to Rennes with an option, is rumoured to go to CSKA Moscow at the end of the season. He currently belongs to a Japanese club, Kashiwa Reysol. Rennes doesn't seem to want to keep Dudu, and will not use the option they have to buy him. I'm disappointed, he looked very promising :( But it's true that we already have a lot of quality players in the midfield, and if the staff thinks all of them are better than Dudu, then it's not really a big deal.

Olivier Sorlin is rumoured to be leaving to Monaco at the end of the season, when his contract expires. Last summer, Deschamps already wanted to recruit Sorlin, as well as Monterubio. Sorlin has been claiming he wanted to leave Rennes for quite a long time, he doesn't forgive the staff for having left him on the bench for many games last seasons, though he's a starter in every game nowadays.

10. gaijin

gaijin New Member

Aug 1, 2004
    Malaysia
    Is Nantes really considered part of Britanny? Well you learn something new each day, I never class them as Britanny.

Also how are the two former Djurgardens players performing? Isaksson and Kallstrom?

11. maturin

maturin Member

Jun 8, 2004
    The Rennes home strip is the best kit I have ever seen! I need to get me one of them!

12. Fobal klub

Fobal klub Member

Feb 27, 2004
    France
    Club:
    Stade Rennais FC
    Nat'l Team:
    France
    Yeah, sadly the sponsors on it are a bit annoying.

Nice edito gary ;)

13. gary_rb

gary_rb New Member

Dec 21, 2003
    Rennes
    thank you ;)

ganu: Nantes is historically in Britanny, but they are not anymore because of political matters. But if you go there, you will see all the customs and traditions of a Breton city. It's also why games between Rennes and Nantes are considered as derbys, it's the biggest Breton derby since they are the 2 best teams of Bretagne, and because Nantes is still angry that Rennes stole their administrative spot some 50 years ago :)

About our two Swedish players, they're not really shining. Källström has suffered a lot of injuries and suspensions lately, and his level before that was disappointing, given the incredible boost he gave us last season when we recruited him. He is not as untouchable as he used to be, especially since Yoann Gourcuff showed that he could easily replace him.. but he's still young. Lately, Sorlin took his spot, cause Kim couldn't play, we'll see who the coach choses for the game against Lille. It should be Kim, I hope he comes back in good form.

About Isaksson.. well, I am tempted to be harsh with him, but maybe I'm not being objective ;) At least, he's not as good as what he showed in Euro04, he doesn't look very confident and is kinda bad when going out of his cage to catch an air ball. In the last games he was playing with a little injury, which could explain some of his bad performances, but it now seems to have healed, so I hope he's going to show his best level until the end of the season.

14. gaijin

gaijin New Member

Aug 1, 2004
    Malaysia
    ty.

Kallstrom was crucial for Rennes last season. His performance at Monaco last year was one of the best individual performances I've ever seen in Ligue 1.

As for Isaksson. Trying to replace Cech is hard act to follow.

Well the next time that I go to Nantes, I will remember its part of Britanny (well historically.) I suppose its like when Hull was part of Yorkshire. Even to this day, despite the fact its part of a place called "Humberside", they still enjoy a rivalry with all of the other Yorkshire teams like Doncaster and Scarborough.

15. gary_rb

gary_rb New Member

Dec 21, 2003
    Rennes
    Lille - Rennes

LOSC 0 - 0 Stade Rennais

Yay! We finally brought a point from another stadium! :D
    The pitch was almost frozen so it was difficult to play.. Boloni decided to make a physically strong team, with Perrier-Doumbé instead of Le Lan, and Faty instead of a real DM (Faty is both a defensive midfielder and a defender, I think he plays as a DM with France U21, but he is more a defender than a midfielder), and Källström back in the central midfield. Isaksson made great saves and he's the man of the match. Well, congrats to Boloni, he brought a point back from the 2nd team of Ligue1. Rennes is now 7th with 36 points. Now it's time to climb the ladder!

Isaksson
    Perrier-Doumbé
    Ouaddou
    Adailton
    Jeunechamp (cap)
    Faty
    E.Didot
    Källström
    Maoulida (N’Guéma, 94')
    Sorlin
    Frei (Briand, 86')

[​IMG]
    Rennes was playing with their traditional Black and White away kit​

Upcoming games:

03/02/05 : Coupe de France : Rennes - Monaco (5 PM, GMT+1)
    03/05/05 : Ligue1 : Rennes - Sochaux (8 PM, GMT+1)

16. Nanbawan

Nanbawan Member

Jun 11, 2004
    Haute Bretagne
    Club:
    Stade Rennais FC
    Nat'l Team:
    France
    The photo above shows that Lille players are actually wearing bermudas !! :D

17. gary_rb

gary_rb New Member

Dec 21, 2003
    Rennes
    c'est que leur équipementier (Décathlon) maquille les invendus. les joueurs jouent avec des maillots de bain de surfers et le gardien porte des jambières du rayon pêche ;)

18. Nanbawan

Nanbawan Member

Jun 11, 2004
    Haute Bretagne
    Club:
    Stade Rennais FC
    Nat'l Team:
    France
    One little word about the stadium where the Stade Rennais carry on their endeavour. It is called...Who said Stade de Rennes ? Not at all !! OK, there's a famous stadium in France cleverly smartly called "Stade de France", well in Brittany, it's a little bit more tricky... It is in Rennes, yet it is called : "Stade de la route de Lorient" ( Lorient road Stadium).

It is brand new, in fact this has replaced the previous one on the same location. The capacity is nearly 30 000, so it's a lovely middle size stadium-who said for a lovely middle range club ? -I have the names of the guilty ones...

I haven't found a decent photo for the moment, but I post the next one which was taken during the inauguration of the new stadium.

[​IMG]

Plus, this animation if the link works download
    from the official site . There's also this unofficial site . But I'm afraid you'll need to practice Molière's language to read both of them.

19. SportBoy333

SportBoy333 Member+

Jun 27, 2003
    Are you sure its nearly 30,000 ? WorldStadiums.com says its 31,127. That would make it over 31,000 not nearly 30,000.

http://www.worldstadiums.com/europe/countries/france/bretagne.shtml

20. Nanbawan

Nanbawan Member

Jun 11, 2004
    Haute Bretagne
    Club:
    Stade Rennais FC
    Nat'l Team:
    France
    Not sure at all, that was my evaluation. Your figures are the one to be trusted.

21. Nanbawan

Nanbawan Member

Jun 11, 2004
    Haute Bretagne
    Club:
    Stade Rennais FC
    Nat'l Team:
    France
  22. RandyNA74

RandyNA74 Member

Jun 9, 2004
    Washington, DC
    Club:
    SSC Napoli
    Nat'l Team:
    Italy
    Monterrubio signs new Rennes deal

[​IMG]

23. Nanbawan

Nanbawan Member

Jun 11, 2004
    Haute Bretagne
    Club:
    Stade Rennais FC
    Nat'l Team:
    France
    well 3-0 against Sochaux...not bad. If we go on taking points away, maybe we could reach the UEFA. In the opposite case, I wonder if the SRFC staff would agree to play the interTOTO cup next season. We really need some European encounters, should they field a second string teams for the early matches. That would provide some experience for the younger players.

24. gary_rb

gary_rb New Member

Dec 21, 2003
    Rennes
    hey all :)
    i've just returned from australia, that's why I haven't been around much lately
    I'm still a little busy, I'll post more in the future :)

great news about monterubio btw!

25. Nanbawan

Nanbawan Member

Jun 11, 2004
    Haute Bretagne
    Club:
    Stade Rennais FC
    Nat'l Team:
    France
    BIENREVENUE !! Is that French ? :)