Quit yer btichin! What does this team need to do to advance?

Discussion in 'New York Red Bulls' started by NJPsycho, Nov 4, 2003.

1. NJPsycho

NJPsycho New Member

Mar 28, 2002
    Dirty Jerzee
    Enough with all the wining and moaning about Mathis and the last few games!
    It's still not impossible for this team to get two goals in order to get into overtime and a third to advance. Hell, if we can beat the conference leaders 2 - nil on their home turf, we can advance past the Revs on theirs.
    Here are my suggestions:
    1) Cover Noonan. This guy is hot and he’s been killin’ us for the past three games. If he was any more dangerous to this team, Nick would sign him to the team like Moreno and Bradley.
    2) Mathis should not start. I know I said stop bashing on him; but Mathis plays better when he's angry and the team plays better without him. So lets compromise. Let the team play without him and for about 65 minutes and let Mathis get angrier and angrier (Cleetus Smash!), then let him loose on the field. He could be a spark that pushes the team to a three goal lead.
    3) Use the keeper sub loop-hole. Bradley used it before and it worked. It’s very possible that this could be a 120 minute game so they’ll need fresh legs out there. Is there any better time to pull out all the stops?

Anyone with line-up suggestions?

2. TravisMinor_23

TravisMinor_23 New Member

Oct 16, 2001
    United States
    Woly and Magee up front. Mathis as a sub. A lot of luck. No stupid goals like Noonan's. No fluke goals like Fabbro. Ricardo Clark, Mark Lisi, and Guevara winning the midfield. Digi/Bart cotributing something up the wings. Anything else?

3. Arisrules

Arisrules Member

Feb 19, 2000
    Washington, DC
    I do not think Woly and Magee starting up top will get us this victory. Sure it worked against SJ, but is that type of TEAM (plus there were 3 or 4 other changes on the field that improved the team drastically that day). Mathis has been rounding into form the past 4 weeks. He seems to be getting closer and closer, and this could be the game.

Honestly, I was at the last regular season game, and even against our 3rd string, Noonan and Fabro were getting all these bounces. Was one goal even a clean strike, that didn't involve some sort of deflection? We need some of that luck.

Also, I think we should really run at their defense, especially Heaps (who is garbage by any measure). Llamossa is one of the slowest, and Pierce is a hacker. Franchino, even though he is a scoundrel has improved his game a lot, even from last year, and is their best defender.

Finally, this game is goign to be decided by teh midfield. Is Gueverra goign to have an inspired performance and lead the midfield? Or are we going to be timid, and allow Cancela, Ralston, and Joseph to steam roll us? We'll see. I really think we can pull this out.

4. Richie

Richie Red Card

May 6, 1999
    Brooklyn, NY, United
    Think on this Woly up top and Guevara recessed forward.

Left wing Mathis how ever he plays it will be better then DiG or Bart as a wing mid, can have DiG as a back. Gaven right wing mid. inside mids Clark and Lisi. If lisi looks weak on defense then Williams, and Clark on the inside. Clark (attack mid holding the middle) can pass and he should be encouraged to attack, and play 4 backs.

Might be interesting for a while at least.

5. Bigfoot

Bigfoot New Member

Get the first goal, hopefully within the first 20-25 minutes.

It doesn't matter how they get it. They can bounce the ball off Pope's head accidently for all I care.

Get the first goal early then watch NE crack later on in the game.

6. GIO17

GIO17 Member

Nov 29, 1998
    THAT'S WHAT I'M TALKING ABOUT PSYCHO!!!!!!!!!!!!

METRO NEVER SAY DIE! THE BOYS WILL SHUTOUT THE REVS AND SCORE THREE GOALS TO WIN THE AGGREGATE!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

COME ON YOU BOYS! COME ON YOU BOYS IN RED & BLACK! GO OUT AND KICK SOME ARSE!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

7. Metrohooligan101

Metrohooligan101 New Member

Apr 23, 2003
    Orlando Fl

Definitely the right idea......we should rush and rush and run at their defense somehow get that first goal, its like making a small cut....smelling blood, after that first goal is scored...metros will just destroy!!!! we really need that first goal, the rest will just come as NE would crack and get nervous....definitely agree with you bigfoot!

8. Metrohooligan101

Metrohooligan101 New Member

Apr 23, 2003
    Orlando Fl
    5 steps to win....

1) covering noonan...give pope the job specifically then have addo and jolley to other players like fabbro or etc they know we will focus totally on noonan which will open up other players we need to man mark everyone..clear the ball up to our mids to feed our fowards for the goals
    2) poession is key we can't lose the midfield we have to win it and contain the ball as much as possible and try to connect on every pass, mistakes is what burned us most with the revs in the past games..so no space for errors
    3) we have to shoot the ball!!! give brown everything we got, but we shouldn't panic just focus on feeding the forwards good passes or through balls no hopeful balls or impossible through balls, short but connecting. our biggest problem in game one was bad passes to the offense.
    4)relaxation...no pressure calm set of mind if we think we need to score 3 goals the whole time we won't get one...just focus goal by goal.
    5)REVENGE!!!!!!we need to turn this around!!!

now im no expert, just the kind of things i personally think we should do..what do you guys think?

9. supermetros

supermetros New Member

Aug 20, 2001
    Park Ridge, NJ
    Club:
    New York Red Bulls
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    My 3 keys:

1) Score early. If we can net 1 in the first 20-25 minutes they might tighten up a bit. I suggest starting a 3-2-3-3 in the begining pushing almost 5-6 up on attack. Also we need a confidence boost and an early goal might provide that.

2) Avoid mental mistakes. We can't have another ball not cleared out of the box or bad back pass which leads to a cheep goal. Same thing on the offensive end. If we have a sitter in the six yard box we HAVE to put it away not into the crossbar.

3) Play emotionally under control. NE might try thier hack-a-Metro technique again. We have to refrain from retailiation which leads to too many bad cards.

These are more general thoughts than specific man markings but feel if we can execute them we have a good chance to net the 2 we need to push it into OT where anything can happen.

10. Thomas A Fina

Thomas A Fina Member

Mar 29, 1999
    Hell
    Club:
    New York Red Bulls
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    We need to score three goals.

and give up one or less

11. Juan Luis Guerra

Juan Luis Guerra Red Card

Jun 11, 2001
    New York City
    You guys need to stop crying a score some goals if you really want to advanse.

12. metros11

metros11 Member

Sep 11, 1999
    Highlands of NJ
    Club:
    New York Red Bulls
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    We need to concentrate on scoring "a goal" and then if that doesn't work we need to start concentrating on alcohol...

13. BobtheMetroStars12thman

Nov 18, 1998
    Unfortunately we need to do things we haven't done except very rarely all season (if at all).

1. Score the first goal. Did that happen more than 2 or 3 times all season?

2. Score early. Did that happen at all this season?

3. Win by 2 goals. We did that what 2 or 3 times all season? And that's just to get to Golden goal.

4. Win by PKs if we achieve #3 and no more. I think you all know how great Metros are at PKs historically or more to the point hysterically.

5. Win by 3 goals. Now we're really joking here or is that choking (cough, cough, gag)?

Don't get me wrong, I would love to see any of the above happen. I'd also love to win the lottery.

14. purojogo

purojogo Member

Sep 23, 2001
    US/Peru home
    Club:
    New York Red Bulls
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    If you don't play, you can't win...
    But yeah, we are the MLS version of Mexico when it comes to PKs (sad for us, hillarious when it happens to our neighbors)...Gaven will start, and hopefully Magee/Wolly have good days...Considering how much pressure is being placed on these inexperienced players, it is a hard task, but we cannot let the faith die

15. NJPsycho

NJPsycho New Member

Mar 28, 2002
    Dirty Jerzee
    Is this why MFO is giving us beer for the road trip?