Quietly...really quietly around here...the news is: the US economy is strong...

Discussion in 'Politics & Current Events' started by Karl K, Jun 30, 2005.

1. Karl K

Karl K Member

Oct 25, 1999
    Suburban Chicago
    Unfortunately for the cyncial pessimistic lefties around here -- many of whom have gone off on Fox News or polls on impeachment, more "fertile" ground for their peculiar brand of intellectual droppings -- the United States economy continues to chug along and grow at a very good clip.

Man oh man, it's just gotta frost the old moonbats, eh? Gosh darn it!

And once again, the government has had to revise the GDP number upwards...

See:
    http://www.bea.doc.gov/bea/newsrel/gdpnewsrelease.htm

The BEA revised its measure of first quarter economic growth to 3.8%, up from its previous estimate of 3.5%, which was ABOVE its initial estimate of 3.1%.

The reason?

As I have said time and time again when the lefty unwashed glom onto short term numbers as evidence that the United States economy is somehow in trouble, you gotta look at the trends. And what's been the trend?

http://online.wsj.com/article/0,,SB112008913965073516,00.html?mod=opinion_main_review_and_outlooks

2. superdave

superdave Member+

Jul 14, 1999
    VB, VA
    Club:
    DC United
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
  3. argentine soccer fan

Staff Member

Jan 18, 2001
    San Francisco Bay Area
    Club:
    CA Boca Juniors
    Nat'l Team:
    Argentina
    Cool. Maybe my sales will rebound next month.

4. verybdog

verybdog New Member

Jun 29, 2001
    Houyhnhnms
    Economy is strong?

Ask yourselves, people, do you feel it?

Economy is strong on the paper. Lie.

5. 96Squig

96Squig Member

Feb 4, 2004
    Hanover
    Club:
    Hannover 96
    Nat'l Team:
    Netherlands
    The American economy is still the biggest in the world...

6. Chicago1871

Chicago1871 Member

Apr 21, 2001
    Chicago
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Good news. Not new news.

7. Karl K

Karl K Member

Oct 25, 1999
    Suburban Chicago
    How's that computer your using? By the way, when did you buy it? Had you bought it 10 years ago, how much would it have cost?

Oh, that's right...you couldn't GET what you have now 10 years ago.

By the way, how's your cell phone? Nice and light in your pocket? Gee, had you bought it 10 years ago, how much would it have cost?

Oh, that's right...you couldn't GET what you have 10 years ago...

So tell me, how does the economy feel?

8. Chicago1871

Chicago1871 Member

Apr 21, 2001
    Chicago
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    I gotta ask, where are you going with this?

9. Mel Brennan

Mel Brennan PLANITARCHIS' BANE

Paris Saint Germain
    United States
    Apr 8, 2002
    Baltimore
    Club:
    Paris Saint Germain FC
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Here!

10. verybdog

verybdog New Member

Jun 29, 2001
    Houyhnhnms
    More trash and junks pile up in your house do not mean the economy is stronger. Ask real questions: is your income higher? Is your purchasing power bigger? Are you gainfully employed? do you make ends meet easier? Do you have savings? Can you afford health insurance? Can you afford college tuition? Do you incur more debts?

To most people in this country, the answer is negatvie.

Therefore saying economy is stronger is on the paper, or simply a big lie.

11. Mel Brennan

Paris Saint Germain
    United States
    Apr 8, 2002
    Baltimore
    Club:
    Paris Saint Germain FC
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    You've got to understand for whom KKK advocates. The economy is strong, KKK thinks certain op-eds think, from whose perspective?

Once to understand that advocacy, you can place mutterings in their proper context...

12. Dan Loney

Dan Loney BigSoccer Supporter

Mar 10, 2000
    Cincilluminati
    Club:
    Los Angeles Sol
    Nat'l Team:
    Philippines
    How's that tank of gas?

Oh, that's right. You could afford a tank of gas ten years ago.

How's that job hunt coming along?

Oh, that's right. We had a president who could create jobs ten years ago.

How's the surplus going?

Oh, that's right. We didn't have Reaganomics on crack ten years ago.

How's the dollar doing?

Oh, that's right. We didn't have a currency weaker than the Baritarian spitwad ten years ago.

How's that trade deficit?

Oh, that's right. You could find a store besides Wal-Mart selling stuff not made by Chinese slaves ten years ago.

How's the auto industry?

Oh, that's right. We hadn't sold Detroit back to the Huron tribe for a refund on those glass beads ten years ago.

Why does the Wall Street Journal opinion page inhabit a separate reality from the rest of us?

Well, not everything changes in ten years. I'm sure they're still looking for Vince Foster's real killer.

13. verybdog

verybdog New Member

Jun 29, 2001
    Houyhnhnms
    Dan Loney, excellent post!

14. YankBastard

YankBastard Na Na Na Na NANANANAAA!

Jun 18, 2005
    Estados Unidos
    Club:
    AS Roma
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    THE ECONOMY IS STRONG FOR THE RICH AND SUCKS FOR EVERYBODY ELSE. UNEMPLOYMENT IS RISING, AND WHERE JOBS ARE BEING CREATED, THEY PAY SHYT AND SCREW THE EMPLOYEE MAKING THEM WORK LONGER AND GIVING THEM LITTLE OR NO BENEFITS . DIE YOU CAPTIALIST ********************!!!!!!!!

15. superdave

superdave Member+

Jul 14, 1999
    VB, VA
    Club:
    DC United
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    That 10 years ago we had a great president.

16. IntheNet

IntheNet New Member

Nov 5, 2002
    Northern Virginia
    Club:
    Blackburn Rovers FC
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    :) Sounds Like Dr. Dean! :)

17. heybeerman

heybeerman Member

Aug 2, 2001
    Chicago Burbs
    Club:
    Chicago Fire
    Truth is the economy bottomed sometime ago. We are generally going sideways but the fear of recession still lurks.

The price of oil is a huge issue. Oil will likely never go under $50/barrel again. We have reached peak oil output. China and India are starting to use oil at an alarming rate. This will have to be offset with alternative fuels. Hybrid cars are a stop gap. Look for fuel cell technology and more nuker plants.

I would say the economy is "stable, for now". However I fear that some more bad news could drive it further south.

But Karl will paint things the way he wants.

Karl get off your soapbox and stop being so abusive, or is that what you live for?

18. prk166

prk166 BigSoccer Supporter

Aug 8, 2000
    Med City
    Oil is huge issue? In terms of real dollars, the price was 50% higher in the early 80s. And look how the economy did for the next 15 years after that. And look where prices went.

Really? I have that hard to believe when I see articles like the Denver Post had a couple weeks ago. It was about WOlverine Oil (?) finging oil in Utah using new techniques w/ new technologies. Wells had been drilled there and didn't work. They came in, could see exactly where and how to get the oil out, and now have got people in Richfield holding their breath that it'll bring a ton of more jobs to the town as a lot of oil gets extract.

High growth but when you start with hardly anything, it doesn't take a lot of volume to make sexy growth percentages.

Look at oil futures right now. The 84 month future contracts are selling for less than $56 / barrel. That means people are willing to commit to selling oil at that price 7 years from now. You may confident that it'll never go under $50 / barrel again. And the markets aren't disagreeing....depending on inflation. Assuming 3% inflation over the time period, that $50 / barrel level would need to reach $60/ barrel just to stay constant in terms of real dollars. So the market is actually saying that at this point in time, it believes that oil will drop below that floor price.

19. MattR

MattR Member+

Jun 14, 2003
    Reston
    Club:
    DC United
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    I believe Karl is right. The economy is growing. It did bottom out, and it is growing again. Consumer confidence is unpredicatable, but surprise -- Americans just can't stop buying stuff. Ask M.C. Hammer.

Unfortunately, it does seem to be a jobless economy, in that the higher echelons of corporations are making cash, their bottom line is doing better than, say, a few years ago, but they are making this cash with increased productivity and outsourcing.

Therefore, the liberals are right too, in suggesting that CAFTA and oil prices and risky housing-bubble based personal debt will eventually have to be paid back.

It's very simple. The WSJ is for the investor class and the corporate class, who focus on short-term growth and right-now results. Ideas such as planning for the future, keeping the economy viable long-term, and ensuring that America is a MARKET for products is no longer part of the shareholder agreement.

I'm not saying that this can't keep up for a while. I'm saying it can't keep up indefinitely.

20. heybeerman

heybeerman Member

Aug 2, 2001
    Chicago Burbs
    Club:
    Chicago Fire
    Sorry, Peak oil output is predicted to be reached by the end of the year.

Most of the cheap oil is gone. Nice analysis on the market prices and I'm not disagreeing, but I will say that people don't really know how much is left. Also, and I can't find the link right now, but the Saudis were producing oil at an extraction cost of 1:50 and now its somewhere around 1:30-35. Meaning to me we are now tapping dirty oil.

Without cheap transportation, the costs of all goods will go up, and that spells tough times ahead unless alternatives are developed. Thankfully some are coming out but I don't know if it will be mainstream fast enough.

Those are my opinions and I don't know about you, but my next vehicle is a Hybrid or Fuel cell. I paid $2.33 for regular unleaded today. Soon we'll be paying $3 bucks.

Anyway, theres alot more here: http://www.oilcrisis.com/

21. prk166

prk166 BigSoccer Supporter

Aug 8, 2000
    Med City

Well, the markets, the people risking their money and businesses making decisions, disagree.

And why is that "really not knowing how much is left" automatically means "we're going to run out"? That one goes both ways.

Have fun buying the hybird. I'll continue to enjoy taking the bus.

22. heybeerman

heybeerman Member

Aug 2, 2001
    Chicago Burbs
    Club:
    Chicago Fire
    Good points, I'm certainly not sure either. Regardless, I am long 2010 oil futures.

Lastly, I learned alot the last time the government told us we were in recession after we had been in one for a year already.

Bush sees these reports, might of had something to do with his decision to invade Iraq without any evidence.

23. Mel Brennan

Paris Saint Germain
    United States
    Apr 8, 2002
    Baltimore
    Club:
    Paris Saint Germain FC
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Also don't forget that the corporate class, for the most part, in their focus on the next quarter, same-store sales, shareholder value, etc., very rarely produce indicies that reflect "back-end" or long-term or societal costs. They just roll it all together.

GNP/GDP is a great example. More prisions? Building them adds to GDP. CLeaning up more toxic waste? Adds to GDP. They have a measure for telling us the contributions single moms are making to the workforce, but nothing to tell us how that affects the children of those women being raised by the television.

Myopic in the extreme, and certainly not coming at it in terms of ALL the stakeholders in the matter. Why? Because they have a leadership, top-down, and a defintion of "freedom" "progess" and "success," border to border, that affirms such half-calculations.

24. Hard Karl

Hard Karl New Member

Sep 3, 2002
    WB05 Compound
    Man, it must rule to be rich...

...as for the rest of us

25. clevelandstoker

Aug 12, 2004
    Youngstown, OH
    Club:
    Stoke City FC
    A big FU to whoever thinks the economy is grand. Tell that to the towns that depend on GM factories or any other factories which produce products domestically.

I'm in a city which lost 40,000 steel making jobs more than 25 years ago. The town has not bounced back nor shown signs of recovery. (Springsteen wrote a song about it BTW). In fact, we're reaching new depths I thought I would never see in a city in this great country.

Today the city's entire East side was shutdown as a gang war went on in broad daylight. It was bad. And we're used to this ******** here. We've had one of the worst homicide rates in all of the country for several years now, but the violence and lawlessness is spiraling into depths that would scare any resident of Fallujah.

The years of neglect, poverty, poor schooling and high unemployment rates have borne monsters. And it's a good bet it's happening elsewhere.