Quick Start on Free Kick and 10 Yards Rule

Discussion in 'Referee' started by Footballer, Oct 6, 2003.

1. Footballer

Footballer New Member

Feb 12, 2000
    CT
    Hi, the following situation happened during a men's match I was refereeing.

I blew the whistle to signal for a free kick. As I was approaching the spot, the defending player stood next to the ball preventing a quick restart.

I saw very clearly that the offensive player KNEW the defender stood literally next to him and the ball. Still, he decided to kick the ball right at the feet of the defender. The ball trickled away and play continued.

Obviously, the offensive team expected me to blow the whistle for a caution against the defending player or at the very least give them a formal restart on the free kick (with 10 yards).

I did neither and let play continued. My reasoning was that the offensive player forfeited his right for that 10 yards when he blatantly kicked the ball at the defending player (hoping to provoke a caution no doubt) instead of asking for (or waiting for me to give) the 10 yards.

Was I correct about this decision?

2. IASocFan

IASocFan Moderator
    Staff Member

Aug 13, 2000
    IOWA
    Club:
    Sporting Kansas City
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    I don't have a great problem with your position. When I see make a call, I try to get to the spot as quickly as possible and to suggest "10 Yards", if the defense is a little slow to take their positions. If the offense blantantly kicks the ball at the defender, it may get a caution for the defender for the defender and a red for the attacker for violent conduct. I usually tell both teams during my checkin to automatically backoff 10 yards, and if you don't think you're getting 10 to ask for it, and we'll do a ceremonial restart on the whistle. It sounds like you had a potential management problem. Talk to the players about your expectations.

3. Statesman

Statesman New Member

Sep 16, 2001
    The name says it all
    You state the attacker blatantly kicked the ball into the legs of the defender. My question is, was the defender blatantly preventing an unobstructed kick by not retiring 10 yards?

The LOTG entitle the team 10 yards, quick kick or not. In this case the defender made no attempt to retire the 10 yards, purposely delaying the ability of the offense to restart the game and take advantage. This is a cautionable offense. The attacker was merely exhibiting his frustration at not being able to take his kick -- at the defender for being there, and at you for not dealing with it.

The actions of the attacker aren't the best reaction to the situation by any means. However, it is understandable. This is the perfect situation to administer justice fairly for both teams -- caution the defender for not retiring 10 yards, and having a word with the attacker for not allowing you to do your job. Both sides reprimanded based on the severity of the act, and the game allowed to restart the way it was intended. It also sets the tone that 10 yards will be expected whether it is requested or not.

Merely allowing play to continue is a statement of support towards the acts that transpired, that this is an acceptable way to restart the game. The players will interpret this as the referee is unwilling to handle a sticky situation, so from now on they will have to take care of things on their own. Probably not the best choice for game control, and I wouldn't be surprised if it wasn't the only incident of its nature in the game.

4. dadman

dadman Yo soy un papa

DC United
    United States
    Apr 13, 2001
    Reston, VA
    Club:
    DC United
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    I did notice during both WWC semifinals that all the teams immediately retreated 10 yard from the restart spot, and that the kicking team's players ran forward as well. Not a lot of dissent, and that was VERY nice to see...

Maybe someone can help with the following situation (at my son's U16 game last weekend):

Foul awarded to grey near the center circle. Red retreats about six yards, and grey kicker looks to the CR asking for 10 yards (non-verbally, but by gesturing at the red players). Ref says nothing, and continues standing (about 10 yards to the side of the kicker) indicating indirect kick. After 5 seconds or so, he blows his whistle, but doesn't move or make eye contact with grey or red. Three beats later, grey kicks square to an open teammate near touch, but the ref blows his whistle for a retake, forcefully stating to the kicker that the red players were too close and he shouldn't have kicked the ball.

I know that this is another YHTBT situation, but was he (maybe) trying to indicate that unless he's verbally asked for 10 yards, he won't move the non-kicking team? :confused: At this level of play, there are still many players who would benefit from clarification/education, and gamesmanship is just starting to rear its ugly head. Overall he called a good game, but he wasn't communicative on any restarts.

Hope this isn't off topic, as it seems to speak to the same issues of intent and clarity on restarts. Thanks

dadman

5. ncguy

ncguy New Member

Jan 28, 2002
    NC
    I've always coached my kids to not expect ten yards unless they request it. Also if the defense is standing on the ball not to forget a quick start square or back. I've always cautioned them that if they take the quick the start they have probably forfeited their right to ten yards.

6. AvidSinger

AvidSinger New Member

Sep 6, 2002
    Massachusetts
    I usually try to nip such things in the bud. It's one thing if a team makes a wall six yards away and waits for the referee to back them up, but it is unfair to stand directly over the ball to prevent a quick restart. If I see a team doing that, I will not hesitate to walk up to the player and tell him to move away and warn him that the next time he does this, he will be cautioned.

7. jc508

jc508 New Member

Jan 3, 2000
    Columbus, Ohio area
    I think that in the case where the opposing team is 6 yards away, the ref needs to be proactive. As the wall is being set, the ref needs to read the kicking team to see if it is looking for a quick kick or not.

If it looks as if a ceremonial kick is going to be taken, then I will "suggest" to them that they move back.

If it looks as if there will be a quick kick, let play go.

If the kicking team requests 10 yards verbally or by body language (as in this case), I will stop the kick and move the wall.

When a member of the team that just cheated tries to cheat again by parking in front of the ball to prohibit a quick restart, that player needs to get a parking ticket, which is yellow. Unless a quick kick is able to be taken, allowing such behavior to go unpunished is tantamount to approving of such behavior and being a complicitor to the misconduct.

To deny justice because of a formality is subscribing more to form than substance. It just does not seem fair. If the team(s) feel is it unfair, the ref has just dug himself a hole. In some games, the ref never gets out of that hole again.

8. Ref Flunkie

Ref Flunkie Member

Oct 3, 2003
    New Hudson, MI
    I totally agree here. Stading right in front of the ball pretty much prevents any "quick kick" from being taken. Why should the attacker have to play a quick kick backwards because the defender is standing on the ball?? He has basically prevented any type of free kick from being taken until his team gets back while the referee moves him off. I'll warn him once (which is loud enough for the rest of the team to hear), then I will caution if it happens again. Like it was said, if the defenders are setting up a wall somewhere inside of 10 yards, but not on top of the ball, it still allows for the opportunity of a quick kick, and if that happens I just let it go. But like jc508 said, once you get the signal from the attackers that they want a ceremonial FK, I move the wall back and have them wait until everything is set.

9. Gary V

Gary V Member+

Feb 4, 2003
    SE Mich.
    If I see a player coming from any distance to stand directly in front of a free kick, he gets an immediate color-blind test. If the player happens to be already in the area, I expect that he will be moving away - and if not, I'll loudly encourage him to do so unless it looks like the kicker is about to immediately take the kick regardless of that player's position. Jim Allen gave a recent answer that we (refs) are not to distract the opponents at a free kick by directing them to move to 10 yards unless we are making it a ceremonial kick. If we have to talk to the opponents, we have to hold up the kick.

If a wall sets up at 6-8 yards, I'll let it go the first time, assuming the attackers don't ask for 10. If I get a chance (say the ball goes out for a goal kick) I'll tell them to try for 10 yards next time. Inevitably I'll get, "They have to ask for 10". No, they don't.

10. dadman

dadman Yo soy un papa

DC United
    United States
    Apr 13, 2001
    Reston, VA
    Club:
    DC United
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Thanks for the feedback and discussion, gents.

dadman

11. Crowdie

Crowdie New Member

Jan 23, 2003
    Auckland, New Zealand
    I had a very similar situation at the end of our season down here and I just warned the player and got him to retreat.

When I received my assessment I was recorded as missing a mandatory cautionable offence. The misconduct section of an assessment is worth 30% of your final mark and missing a mandatory cautionable offence means that you can not score more than 50% for that section (15% of final).

Some food for thought.

Crowdie

12. jacathcart

jacathcart New Member

Oct 11, 2002
    Tacoma WA
    This is definitely NOT a criticism of NCGUY (after all I got my first grade 8 ticket in Jacksonville 15 years ago)., but this statement is why I hate FRD.

We have discussed a few times here the advisability of using the captain's meeting to discuss our hot buttons and I think the consensus was against it. However, I always tell the captains that I have NO tolerance for FRD and that I expect their players to get 10 yards away immediately. I don't say it with a chip on my shoulder - I tell them that they deserve a game that is fast and continuous and that halts for ceremonial restarts take them out of the flow and degrade the game.

Frankly I love Nat's comment about setting the wall at 13-15 yards when they set up at 6-8 and then telling them "You can set it at 10 or I will".

The player who stands over or just in front of the ball adjusting the wall - the player who "happens" to jog past the ball just as the attacker is starting his or her run - those are yellow 1st time. Wall at 5-6 yards, they get one firm instruction so long as it does not distract the attackers and the second time the nearest brick gets a yellow.

I know it may sound like the "Tin God" syndrome, but I simply virtually never have FRD problems (I have others of course) so I never have to follow through. I am a pretty easy going ref and I try to come across as approachable so the difference in my tone and body language when there is FRD I think sends the message in a way that is not ignored.

When a coach is telling his team that they can't expect 10 yards w/o asking for it and is coaching them to look for squares and backs if their goalside is blocked then there is a serious problem with violation of FRD w/o useful consequences.

Jim

13. jkc313

jkc313 Member

Nov 21, 2001
    This is wrong. Your team should NEVER have to request 10 yards.They should expect it. The defense is required to give it. The referee should not have to tell them to move back 10 yards. If the defender is standing on the ball preventing a quick restart as at the beginning of this post I don't think twice, out comes the yellow card and a stern talking to. At my last recert we were told over and over to start cautioning players for not giving the 10 yards. It's getting to be ridiculous at all levels of play and needs to be dealt with.

14. uniteo

uniteo Member+

Sep 2, 2000
    Rockville, MD
    Club:
    DC United
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    shoulda, coulda, woulda

Should coaches also tell their players that opponents never push, referees always get the call right, and coaches never make mistakes (well, we DO tell them that one)?

We need to teach them what it takes to play and succeed...if you want 10 yards, ask for it. If your oponent is using the whole game to wrestle you, deal with it. If the ref is horrible, well, he's part of the field. And if you think I made a mistake, you're wrong.

15. Statesman

Statesman New Member

Sep 16, 2001
    The name says it all
    I don't think jkc was stating it is unreasonable to teach the players this, more that the requirement of asking for 10 yards is incorrect. The Laws simply say the team is allowed 10 yards, period.