Questions on Ukraine? Bring 'em on

Discussion in 'Euro 2012' started by Rig1964, Dec 6, 2011.

1. roosvelt1984

roosvelt1984 New Member

Mar 17, 2012
    New York City
    Club:
    KKS Lech Poznan
    Nat'l Team:
    Poland
    Hey everyone. Very interesting thread :cool:

I'll need to get to Donetsk FAST after the QF in Warsaw - I'll have 48hrs between the two. If I fly to Kiev, what's the best way to get to Donetsk? Would you recommend train or bus, and if it's train - how can I go about buying tickets? Should I ask some friends I have in Kiev to buy them?

Any help very appreciated! Can't wait to put my foot on the Ukrainian soil, even though the BBC tries to discourage me...

2. theparish

theparish Member

Mar 29, 2012
    Somewhere in Essex
    Club:
    West Ham United FC
    Nat'l Team:
    England
    This ones your best bet that most are going on.

http://booking.uz.gov.ua/en/

The fast trains from Kyiv Pas to Donetsk are still to be announced so it might be worth hanging on fora few days unless you want a slowers night train that will cut down your accommodation costs.

3. Real Corona

Real Corona Member+

Jan 19, 2008
    Colorado
    Club:
    FC Metalist Kharkiv
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Bus should be a last resort over train. Unless somehow you sleep better on a bus sitting up. I don't know.

4. thunder83

thunder83 Member

Nov 2, 2011
    Club:
    Liverpool FC
    Whats the best pay as you go mobile provider for kiev area? For local calls and cheap data plan for mail/web/skype.

5. el-topo

el-topo New Member

May 29, 2012
    Donetsk
    Club:
    FC Shakhtar Donetsk
    Nat'l Team:
    Ukraine
  6. pylyp

pylyp Member

Dec 12, 2011
    Club:
    FC Dynamo Kyiv
    Nat'l Team:
    Ukraine
  7. henriology

henriology Member

Dec 4, 2011
    Club:
    Shanghai Shenhua
    Nat'l Team:
    France
    There is a train (train number 111) that goes from Kharkiv to Lviv via Kyiv, but it doesn't seem to allow me to buy tickets from Kyiv to Lviv. Anyone knows why?
    And is it confirmed that there is only one daily high speed train departure from Kyiv to Lviv?

8. thunder83

thunder83 Member

Nov 2, 2011
    Club:
    Liverpool FC
    Can you use the trains between ukrainian cities for free with the match ticket ?

For example, can I go for free from kiev to kharkov and back with a germany-holland ticket?

9. Terminator22

Terminator22 New Member

Apr 20, 2012
    Club:
    Aston Villa FC
    Is there no 'return' option when booking trains? It appears to me you have to book the return separately, therefore paying full price yet again. What a rip off. Can anyone confirm this?

10. theparish

theparish Member

Mar 29, 2012
    Somewhere in Essex
    Club:
    West Ham United FC
    Nat'l Team:
    England
    After some study I practiced my Russian on a female native speaker at work. She told me she couldn't understand what I was saying and my tongue was in the wrong place.
    :whistling: Hope that applied to my pronounciation.

11. el-topo

el-topo New Member

May 29, 2012
    Donetsk
    Club:
    FC Shakhtar Donetsk
    Nat'l Team:
    Ukraine
    :ROFLMAO: :ROFLMAO::ROFLMAO:

12. Real Corona

Real Corona Member+

Jan 19, 2008
    Colorado
    Club:
    FC Metalist Kharkiv
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    You're going to make friends quickly.

13. uaguide

uaguide New Member

Feb 11, 2012
    Club:
    FC Metalist Kharkiv
    When you visit Kharkov - you need try to understend our English in subway ;)

14. theparish

theparish Member

Mar 29, 2012
    Somewhere in Essex
    Club:
    West Ham United FC
    Nat'l Team:
    England
    :D Soon find out. Not staying in Kharkov long unfortunately (although I am a bit of a secret tractorspotter) but will be watching a match there and getting a train out next morning. Can you recommend a decent pub that is likely to be open all night on a Sunday and will be delighted to serve a happy, friendly traveller?

15. pylyp

pylyp Member

Dec 12, 2011
    Club:
    FC Dynamo Kyiv
    Nat'l Team:
    Ukraine
    Has everyone here missed that ARMIN VAN BUUREN is going to perform in Kharkiv 13th June?

theparish, which game are u going to see? Is it perhaps Germany-Netherlands?
    I will be on that morning train to Kyiv. Perhaps we can hook up ;). I can show you how we drink in Ukraine!

16. usaforthecup

usaforthecup Member

Apr 17, 2009
    I'm on the morning train after the germany Holland game with 3 others leaving Kharkiv at 6.50 in the morning compartment 2. Seats 13-16. Stop by and show me how you drink in the Ukraine............the parish too!

17. Real Corona

Real Corona Member+

Jan 19, 2008
    Colorado
    Club:
    FC Metalist Kharkiv
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    There are a million cafes around Kharkov. You'll be sure to find something no question.

18. uaguide

uaguide New Member

Feb 11, 2012
    Club:
    FC Metalist Kharkiv
    I know 3 pab in city centre, may by they can work tonight.
    First betvin Sportivna and Gagarina ave metro station
    Patric pab situated on Universitetska strit cloce historical museum (red bilding)
    and one pab on Fridum square cloce fan zone and exit of University subway station
    Have a nice trip.

19. theparish

theparish Member

Mar 29, 2012
    Somewhere in Essex
    Club:
    West Ham United FC
    Nat'l Team:
    England
    Armin Van Buuren is not a big name here (well in length it would be) but Chelsea have seen that he is popular and playing in Ukraine so have bought him for £35m :D

Unfortunately, bad guess pylyp. On 13th I have a meeting planned with Femen and they will be giving me a nipple painting course.

I am going to Kharkiv on Sunday 17th (with a hangover from a Saturday night in Kiev) to Holland v Portugal and then coming back to kiev with a fresh hangover the morning after.

Up few beers on another day though. Could be an idea to start a new thread with everyones match and travel plans with a viw for a meet up and to generally raise our glasses to those that decided not to go. Perhaps breathe some life into the Odessa thread again and expand on it?

20. theparish

theparish Member

Mar 29, 2012
    Somewhere in Essex
    Club:
    West Ham United FC
    Nat'l Team:
    England
    Thanks Vitaliy ... I've made a note of your number. If you fancy a beer before breakfast on a Monday morning then you might just find me in one of the above. :sick:

21. RichardL

RichardL BigSoccer Supporter

May 2, 2001
    Berkshire
    Club:
    Reading FC
    Nat'l Team:
    England
    bit of a random request, but does anyone know how much (probably) it would cost to take a taxi from Enakyeve (spellings vary) to Donetsk? It looks to be about 50km.

I've just been informed that the apartment I booked 6 months ago has now been withdrawn and I'm now roomless four days before I'm due to arrive. There is somewhere that looks decent (and cheap) in Enakyeve, but my worry is taxi fares could be huge.

Currently it's that or the tent camp, although at least tent prices are falling.

22. theparish

theparish Member

Mar 29, 2012
    Somewhere in Essex
    Club:
    West Ham United FC
    Nat'l Team:
    England
    Looks like the place has got a railway station, so that will connect with Donetsk. As a local service it should be really cheap too I would have thought.

23. pylyp

pylyp Member

Dec 12, 2011
    Club:
    FC Dynamo Kyiv
    Nat'l Team:
    Ukraine
    ^^
    I don't know why people stay in Donetsk. In your situation I would stay in Kyiv and go to Donetsk games with train..... Kyiv is much more fun and beautiful... Don't really know how to kill time in Donetsk... not a tourist city....

But you can try following hostels (university dorms rented out during the summer)
    Try:
    * http://www.hotelopia.com
    * http://www.select-a-room.com/

Try "Hostel No 1 of the Donetsk pedagogical College" if it is avaliable.

24. pylyp

pylyp Member

Dec 12, 2011
    Club:
    FC Dynamo Kyiv
    Nat'l Team:
    Ukraine
    Don't stay in Enikaeve.... In my opinion you shouldn't even stay in Donetsk!
    Stay in Kyiv if you can (and go to Donetsk matches with train), or stay in Donetsk .... but skip this Enikaeve.... Really dudes, there are industrial areas of Ukraine. There is nothing to do or see.

25. Smoga

Smoga Member

Jan 28, 2002
    Brooklyn, NYC
    GTFO! :ROFLMAO: