Questions on Athleticism

Discussion in 'Player' started by Enxienty, Jun 2, 2013.

1. falc39

falc39 New Member

Aug 10, 2008
    Nat'l Team:
    United States

What do you mean by squats on the ball? Is that with weights? Or with a bosu ball? Haven't really heard that term before, just wanted some clarification. I'm curious, how much are you lifting on your squats and deadlifts?

I think you should focus on a balanced training program. Do not worry about the naming of what is plyometrics or what is not. I kind of lump plyo and agility training as the same because it is the similar kind of muscle activation.. quick explosive power generation. I think the key here is to find out what works for you. An exercise that works really well for me may not have the same affect on you and vice versa. When it comes to plyo and agility, there are so many exercises I would choose just a couple a week and see if they help. If you don't feel any improvements, move on and try to find some that do in the next week. Experiment a lot. If the split squats feel like they work, maybe try adding a little weight and hold some light dumbbells with them the next week. I never liked agility ladder, but maybe it will work for you. There is really no perfect program someone can make out there for you without some deep analyzing of your mechanics which we can't do on a forum. Understand we all have different weaknesses or imbalances.

Check out this video... some food for thought:

Wytefang and rca2 repped this.
  2. Squex

Squex Member

Jan 7, 2012
    Club:
    Fenerbahce SK
    Nat'l Team:
    Brazil

It´s squats on the medicine ball ^.^

When I was squating on the smith machine I used to lift 60 kilos ( 30 each side) on the stability ball I am using a holding weights of 24 kilos on each hand and in the Deadlift I put 15 kilos on each side, I have 66 kilos and 1,73 so my numbers are bad, do you guys squats and deadlift during the movement fast or slowly?

3. falc39

falc39 New Member

Aug 10, 2008
    Nat'l Team:
    United States

Squats and deadlifts shouldn't be done fast. It's an exercise where you have to be stable throughout. Try increasing your weight over time as long as you keep good form. A good amount of weight to lift often cited by many is about 1.5x your body weight, and even then, that's pretty modest for a lot of athletes. I'm not that familiar with the squats on the medicine ball, I imagine it would be hard to go higher in weights. I do a normal squat with the barbell on my back.

4. dejansavicevic10

Jun 12, 2009
    Club:
    Chelsea FC
    Nat'l Team:
    Nigeria

Sorry, but plyometrics and agility are not the same!

5. dejansavicevic10

Jun 12, 2009
    Club:
    Chelsea FC
    Nat'l Team:
    Nigeria

Nothing wrong with buying Mat Herold's program, but I recommended Mark's program, because I have used it, and it works great for me. Besides, I have known about Mark Verstegen and his programs, long before I knew about Matt. The program I did helped educate me on all the facets of conditioning, outside of just strength training. At the end of the day, it is about the takeaways, and understanding how your body works athletically. For that matter, there are a ton of performance gurus out there, and you can take your pick out of most of them and will improve athletically. Heck, I can get you a book from 15 years ago, while dated, will blow you away with the improvements in your on the field performance. The key differentiators are that all the components/practical exercises/routines are based on sound and current scientific knowledge, and then their reputation and results.

loden and rca2 repped this.
  6. loden

loden Member

Jan 2, 2005
    Forest Hills, NY
    Club:
    FC Dynamo Kyiv
    I'll second that. It has worked very well for me too. The difference in my explosive ability, cutting, and movement mechanics before and after was quite remarkable.