Questions For Next Year

Discussion in 'Atlanta Beat' started by kool-aide, Aug 31, 2010.

1. law10

law10 Member+

Dec 26, 2007
    She's very good but she's not the best goalkeeper in the world. It also doesn't matter how fast you are on your feet, how you speed up or slow down the game, or how you you communicate. What matters is keeping the ball out of the net and winning games. You can be one-legged and the best goalkeeper in the world. You play the position with your brain. Most people don't understand any of the last three sentences.

2. kool-aide

kool-aide Member+

Feb 1, 2002
    a van by the river
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    tangent

Out of curiosity, who do you think is the best keeper in the world?

/tangent

As for ATL on the field, here's a positive thought for fans. Dowling is a good pickup, in my opinion. She had a much better 2009 than 2010 but she's good enough to shut down attackers on her side. Athletic, strong in the tackle, good positioning. After 2009, I thought she should have gotten WNT camp looks -- best American right back in WPS that season. 2010 she had fill in duty across the backline but was still maybe the 2nd best American right back in WPS.

ATL Roster:

G:
    D: Ellertson, Dowling, Whitehill, Mitts, Katherine Reynolds
    M: Lloyd, Chalu, Kylie Wright*, Megan Jesolva*
    F: Meghan Lenczyk*

* denotes rookie

Surely I'm missing someone. Cause at this point, they may as well put Whitehill up top and have her shoot right from the kickoffs so they have a chance at any SOGs.

3. kittenbiscuits

kittenbiscuits New Member

May 8, 2010
    Club:
    Saint Louis Athletica
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    who's the best goalkeeper then? on the national level Solo has what one perhaps two losses in her nearly 100 caps. a majority of those being shutouts.
    I sort of forgive last season because all of the Beat were a hot mess, and noone knows for sure how long she was playing injured. Now if you use last years stats compiled with this years she's pretty good against every team save the Freedom. Don't forget that her athletica was the very first team to shut down the massive offense of the FCGP.

I was a little bummed last season when Wambach was finally able to chip her. I was amused that Solo had pretty much every freedom player score on her save Wambach. In my head it warranted a little astrick next to goals allowed *but none for Wambach.

4. Hope Solo Fan Belgiu

Oct 2, 2007
    My best goalie's in the world:

1. Hope Solo
    2. Rachel Brown
    3. Emma Byrnne

5. kool-aide

kool-aide Member+

Feb 1, 2002
    a van by the river
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Rachel Brown? hahahahahahaha

Come on, give us your real list.

6. Hope Solo Fan Belgiu

Oct 2, 2007
    Brown is good.

she made one mistake in 2007 when lilly scored the 3-0
    USA already had won the game
    bud in Everton she a good goalkeeper
    she was good on euro 2009
    I remember a good game of hetr in france to qiualify for wc 2007 where she was a key player for England
    Also the Norwegian goalie and Hedvig Lindahl are good.

its a bit fun that some Americans have there doubts about Hope and some Germans about Nadine Angerer (at least from what I heard)

7. Smulan

Smulan Member

Apr 3, 2008
    Ah, after the World Cup. You seemed to be suggesting that she might join WPS for the 2011 season, which starts in early April, since she'd already retired from the national team (i.e., "won't be playing any more").

8. kool-aide

kool-aide Member+

Feb 1, 2002
    a van by the river
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Why would a WPS team want an over the hill Euro cast off after WWC '11? ;) not that I don't have a soft spot for Prinz due to her time w/ the Courage...

9. shlj

shlj Member+

Apr 16, 2007
    London
    Club:
    FC Nantes
    Nat'l Team:
    France
    She is good but not top class, there are 3 english goalkeeper better than her Bardsley, Telford and Hawke but she always gets the nod fro some reason. I bet she is blackmailing Hope Powell or more seriously Hopeless :p

10. Hope Solo Fan Belgiu

Oct 2, 2007
    come one..I know a loty of English people that wikll say Bownie is the best!
    you knew that
    bud Telford is for the future and Bardsley is also good.

11. Cville K C

Cville K C Member

Nov 3, 2008
    Collinsville, IL
    Club:
    Saint Louis Athletica
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Kristina Larsen, India Trotter

12. law10

law10 Member+

Dec 26, 2007
    North American female keepers have far better upper body motor skills training from a young age than Europeans or South Americans.

'99, '03, '07 - the Germans have consistently produced better female goalkeepers than the Americans.

And that's straight up, without team integration issues.

13. katndogs

katndogs New Member

Aug 21, 2010
    atl
    Club:
    Atlanta Beat
    Nat'l Team:
    Germany
    Sesselmann (F, D) as well. But I agree, we need another F.

14. katndogs

katndogs New Member

Aug 21, 2010
    atl
    Club:
    Atlanta Beat
    Nat'l Team:
    Germany
    Are you suggesting that it's a waste of time for GKs to be physically fit? It would certainly save them a ton of time if they didn't have to participate in team practice. I think that until about 10 years ago, it was the GK's only responsibility to keep the ball out of the net, but these days, the game has evolved to a point where an offensive GK seems pretty crucial.
    But I get what you're saying, the mental aspect also plays a huge part.

15. Cville K C

Cville K C Member

Nov 3, 2008
    Collinsville, IL
    Club:
    Saint Louis Athletica
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Based on what exactly? Many people would argue that Germany's talent at the other 10 positions has been as good or better than the US over that time. Yet the US has a record of 9-2-2 (if my count is correct) over Germany since the beginning of 1999 and have shut them out 8 times. What exactly is it that is keeping Germany from lighting up the scoreboard in all of those matches?

16. soccerreigns

soccerreigns New Member

Jul 22, 2009
    No ellertson

17. DemitriMaximoffX

Aug 19, 2006
    Uh...source? She's still under contract with Atlanta at last check.

18. soccerreigns

soccerreigns New Member

Jul 22, 2009
    announcement coming soon i'm sure

19. kool-aide

kool-aide Member+

Feb 1, 2002
    a van by the river
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Thanks. I haven't been paying as close attention as I sometimes do.

G:
    D: Ellertson, Dowling, Whitehill, Mitts, Katherine Reynolds, Trotter
    M: Lloyd, Chalu, Kylie Wright*, Megan Jesolva*, Larsen
    F: Meghan Lenczyk*, Sesselmann

* denotes rookie

And soccerreigns, that is a very interesting rumor/development. I hope ATL got more than a bag of pennies & socks in trade. Having Ellertson in the back paired w/ Whitehill balances the defense and makes it work (potentially) on paper.

20. soccerreigns

soccerreigns New Member

Jul 22, 2009
    i hope it doesn't happen but its straight from the horses mouth...wish she would have signed with sbfc instead.

21. crog1967

crog1967 Member

May 5, 2009
    Club:
    Atlanta Beat
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Probably a bag of peanuts (dry roasted, lightly salted) and a second round pick in the 2014 draft.:(

22. Mookie141

Mookie141 Moderator
    Staff Member

Feb 10, 2008
    Mooktown
    Club:
    Sky Blue FC
    Nat'l Team:
    Spain
    Don't talk about Heather like that!

I guess my question for next year for this team would be to the fans. Do you guys think you'll need some support? Cause if you do Mookie's here, I've been through a tough season or two. I like to help others.

Ellertson is a solid player. I really thought I had ATL figured out but I guess not. Unless everyone's being cheap as hell this year to save/gather money or is fielding an average team who seek to do their best, but if all else fails gets a good grab of draft picks.

23. soccerreigns

soccerreigns New Member

Jul 22, 2009
    i thought we had them figured out too..but it looks like atlanta is paying real real low $7,000 to $15,000....and i know sbfc offered some in that area as well and needless to say they didn't sign those even though considered pretty top players...but apparently not WNY and washington...they are rolling it out..lol at least this year anyway. excited to see all thet easm and especially sbfc

24. kool-aide

kool-aide Member+

Feb 1, 2002
    a van by the river
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    I guess "we" all thought she was still under contract w/ ATL. If it is a trade by ATL, it is a bad move in my eyes. She's top shelf quality and (unfortunately) won't be gone during the WWC.

Let the speculation begin. Team Borislow? or Philly (they certainly wheel and deal).

eta:

Not sure how a team/league can call itself "fully professional" if full roster players are only making $7k for an entire season.

I said pennies not pin-ups ;)

25. law10

law10 Member+

Dec 26, 2007
    Based on them being better. I'm also pretty sure that's common knowledge around the world in the circle of people who follow women's soccer closely and are technically qualified to form an opinion. There are very few goalkeepers in their class between '99 and '07 (i.e. Bente Nordby, Gao Hong, etc).