Questions about MLS

Discussion in 'MLS: General' started by nsa77, Oct 23, 2003.

1. nsa77

nsa77 New Member

Oct 23, 2003
    I have enjoyed reading posts on bigsoccer for quite a while, but have not chimed in until now. I am familiar with MLS (have watched games on TV, attended a couple games) but have a few questions that I was hoping to find answers for here:

1. Who developed the MLS logo? Why is it green, white/black and blue rather than blue, white and red like the NBA and MLB logos?

2. Why don't teams have a jersey sponsor, as they do in Europe, e.g. Vodafone for Man. U.? It seems that this would bring in significant advertising money for MLS.

3. Why is the official website www.mlsnet.com rather than www.mls.com?

4. During the World Cup and WWC I noticed that FIFA gives the game score together with another set of numbers, e.g. 3:1 (1:0). What does the second set refer to? Why doesn't MLS incorporate it into its scoring?

2. PZ

PZ Member

Apr 11, 1999
    Michiana
    Club:
    Ipswich Town FC
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    2. Most teams do have corporate sponsorship...on the back of the jersey under the number.

3. because mls.com was taken by some other company before the league bothered to get it.

3. burning247

burning247 Member+

Liverpool FC
    England
    Sep 16, 2000
    Dallas
    Club:
    Liverpool FC
    Nat'l Team:
    England
    1) Don't Know

2) They do, look on the back of the Jersey and on the sleeves.

3) Who cares? I think MLS is already taken because it stands for something with real estate agents.

4) I'm not sure what you mean, maybe the halftime score?

4. Greddy

Greddy Member

Jun 24, 2003
    Chicago
    Club:
    FC Barcelona
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Multiple listing service. And like was said before, it was already taken.

I believe the number in parenthesis is usually the number of shots on goal.

5. nsa77

nsa77 New Member

Oct 23, 2003
    For an example of what I am talking about in #4, take a look at the scores listed on the FIFA WWC results page:

http://fifaworldcup.yahoo.com/03/en/t/match/index.html

I don't think the second set of numbers can be shots on goal because they are always less than the respective number of goals scored.

6. aloisius

aloisius Member

Jul 5, 2003
    Croatia
    The other set of numbers is a half-time score.

7. Sykotyk

Sykotyk Member

Jun 9, 2003
    Ohio
    Club:
    Columbus Crew
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Now that I've been engrossed in international soccer for over a year, I can answer a few:

1. Who developed the MLS logo? Why is it green, white/black and blue rather than blue, white and red like the NBA and MLB logos?

No Clue.

2. Why don't teams have a jersey sponsor, as they do in Europe, e.g. Vodafone for Man. U.? It seems that this would bring in significant advertising money for MLS.

They do. Part of it is the 'Americanization', in that jersey sponsorship is frowned upon. But there is usually a sponsor on the back below the numbers. I know the Revs had Pepsi under their numbers. And secondly, from the stands, those logos would be difficult to see. And since the games don't generate that much interest on television, the 'big money' for sponsorships won't be there.

3. Why is the official website www.mlsnet.com rather than www.mls.com?

Somebody else got it first. MLB didn't have mlb.com for several years. It used to be always majorleaguebaseball.com. I wouldn't be surprised to see the MLS buy the domain eventually, but just not now.

4. During the World Cup and WWC I noticed that FIFA gives the game score together with another set of numbers, e.g. 3:1 (1:0). What does the second set refer to? Why doesn't MLS incorporate it into its scoring?

The score in paranthesis is the halftime score.

Examples:
    1:0 (0:0) - 0:0 at halftime, 1:0 at fulltime
    1:1 a.e.t (0:0) - 0:0 at halftime, 1:1 at fulltime and 1:1 after extra time
    2:1 a.e.t (1:0) - 1:0 at halftime, 1:1 at fulltime, and 2:1 after extra time
    2:1 a.e.t (1:0, 1:1) - Longer layout, 1:0 at halftime, 1:1 at fulltime, and 2:1 after extra time
    1:1 a.e.t (0:0, 1:1) (4:2 p.k.)- Longer layout for something simple, but with the penalties score listed
    0:0 Easiest game to record the score
    0:0 a.e.t (2:1 p.k.) Easiest elimination game to score

Easy to do since soccer only has two halves, plus extra time on elimination matches.

Sykotyk

8. Etienne_72772

Etienne_72772 Member+

Oct 14, 1999
    I don't know who designed the MLS logo--but the original MLS logo prior to kick-off of the league was, in fact, red, white and blue, like the MLB and NBA logos. Why they chose blue and green, I have no idea...

I remember somebody posted a link to the original MLS logo a while back, but I am much too lazy to track it down.

9. Fah Que

Fah Que Member

Sep 29, 2000
    LA
    Club:
    San Jose Earthquakes

No idea

no clue

Don't know

Not sure