Questions about MLS 2007 Single Table

Discussion in 'MLS: General' started by Michigan Chivas Fan, Apr 14, 2006.

1. In one of the best decisions ever made, it seems that MLS will attempt to restructure the league into a single-table format for the 2007 season. These questions arise:

1. Will the league finally recognize the Supporters' Shield Winner, the true determination of the best club in MLS?

2. Is this the beginning of the end for the ludicrous MLS Cup Playoffs and a turn to a fair competition model?

3. How many games will be played? If there are 14 teams in 2007, 13 home and homes equal 26 games, which seems a little short.

No matter how they work this out, it is a HUGE step in the right direction for MLS. No more meaningless regular season!

2. Ringo

Ringo Member

Jun 10, 2002
    Rough and Ready
    Club:
    Yeovil Town FC
    Nat'l Team:
    United States

where's the link for this? :confused:

3. m vann

m vann Moderator
    Staff Member

Colorado Rapids, Celtic FC, & Louisville City
    Sep 10, 2002
    Denver, CO
    Club:
    Celtic FC
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Garber mentioned the single table format in a Q & A session on MLSnet.com
    I

4. dawgpound2

dawgpound2 Member

Mar 3, 2001
    Los Angeles, CA

What is everyone's fascination with this!?!?

I don't particularly find the fact that Chelsea had pretty much locked up the EPL in like October all that exciting.

Or Lyon in France, League One has been their's since pretty much early November, etc.

In fact, I think the NCAA should declare the #1 ranked basketball team at regular season's end the champions. Save us all that time we waste with that laborious NCAA Tournnament!

Get over yourselves already.

5. la fresa

la fresa Member+

Oct 31, 2005
    texas
    Club:
    Serbian White Eagles
    yeah, but its different because mls is currently too small to have such a long season, then have more than half the teams qualify for playoffs and determine a winner in a few weeks. the regular season is, for the most part, pointless. at least in my opinion.

6. m vann

m vann Moderator
    Staff Member

Colorado Rapids, Celtic FC, & Louisville City
    Sep 10, 2002
    Denver, CO
    Club:
    Celtic FC
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Playing devils advocate here, so bare with me. The title race in the EPL is sewn up. However, its not necessarily about the championship per se but the battles of getting into europe or avioding relegation. The whole season you are fighting for something. You can't sit back on your heals. The Galaxy last season were not the best team but ended up champions because they had a good 4 game run. The regular season in a way is wasted because you can coast into the playoffs but end up winning even though you clearly aren't the best team. It doesn't always happen that way but it has happened more times than once. When things get ironed out a bit, I'd like the see the Supporters Shield represent the championship and MLS teams playing for a spot in a champions league style tournament for North America, which supposedly is in the works. More emphasis needs to be on the regular season. Fighting for spots in leagues around the world has dividens financially and builds up the intensity of each game, knowing no one has room for error in the standings.

7. la fresa

la fresa Member+

Oct 31, 2005
    texas
    Club:
    Serbian White Eagles
    unless im mistaken, the supporters shield winner will have a spot in the CCC next season.

8. scaryice

scaryice Member

Jan 25, 2001
    There is no proof that this will happen. It's just "on the table" as a possibility.

9. Sachsen

Sachsen Member+

Aug 8, 2003
    Broken Arrow, Okla.
    Club:
    Sporting Kansas City
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Your phrasing is a bit unclear. The supporters shield winner in 2006 will have a spot in the 2007 CCC.

That may be, in fact, what you meant, but I wasn't sure.

10. la fresa

la fresa Member+

Oct 31, 2005
    texas
    Club:
    Serbian White Eagles
    well, that is traditionally how it works...

11. JLZ286

JLZ286 Member

Nov 6, 2004
    Ann Arbor
    Club:
    DC United
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Personally im a fan of the playoff system. I dont know about anyone else but I would be bored if it was july and I knew my team had no chance at getting the championship.

12. Kerry

Kerry Member

Apr 10, 2006
    Dearborn Heights Mi
    The regular season for all sports in America seem like expensive, maddeningly long preseasons for the playoffs.

Someday MLS will be big enough for relegation and Cup play. But, the playoffs and championship games are meaningless, or the regular season is.

13. Soccer_Lancer

Soccer_Lancer Member

Jun 30, 2004
    Orlando, FL
    Club:
    Orlando City SC
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    When I first found out how they organized soccer leagues in other countries, I thought it was way cool and felt that we should do it that way here. I even thought through some scenarios of other sports like MLB and NFL and how they would work if they did it like this. However, now that I'm older and wiser, I actually like the play-off system...in general. I just think MLS' implementation of it is all screwed up and last season kinda proved that (keep in mind, however, that a 6th seed did win the Super Bowl for the first time this year. Maybe there's something going around).

Anyway, I actually don't mind the play-offs. We just need to have less teams in it. Make it mean more. Break the league up into 3 or 4 divisions and only let 4 teams in. Then the regular season would mean something. When the league grows in size, let in more teams but always make the regular season mean something.

How exciting would it be right now if, in England, Chelsea didn't have the championship locked up because they had to go through play-offs against he likes of Manchester United , Liverpool and Tottenham or Arsenal. Now that would be exciting.

14. BHTC Mike

BHTC Mike Member+

Apr 12, 2006
    Burlington, ON
    Club:
    Toronto FC
    Nat'l Team:
    Canada
    The "Scheduling Options for 13 or 14 Teams" thread already has a number of suggestions that involve single-table, including mine, which I think is a rather nifty solution that should satisfy both fans of playoffs and fans of single-table. Go check it out.

Mike.

15. Ringo

Ringo Member

Jun 10, 2002
    Rough and Ready
    Club:
    Yeovil Town FC
    Nat'l Team:
    United States

I read that.
    I'm asking for the link that saying this is definitely happening. Because that link doesn't exist.

16. Keenan

Keenan New Member

Jun 15, 2004
    Stephens City,VA
    We love the single table concept and hate the current playoff format!

Signed,
    2005 Indianapolis Colts :p

17. Novaflow10

Novaflow10 New Member

Apr 14, 2004
    WV
    I don't want a single table...this is AMERICA you give the under dog a chance.

18. jason1551

jason1551 Member+

Apr 9, 2003
    Columbus, GA
    Club:
    DC United
    They already do, as evidenced by awarding the winner of the SSS a spot in the CCC.
    Not as long as MLS can make money off it and the fans attend them. Besides, why would MLS want to break away from the playoff tradition found in all professional American team sports?
    Toronto is the only confirmed entrant for 2007, with a 14th team to come in 2008. There would likely be two conferences, one with six teams and one with seven. How they determine the schedule would be anyone's guess, similar to how MLS has changed the number of games per season in year's past.

19. CMeszt

CMeszt Member+

Farewell Sweet Prince
    Jan 9, 2004
    Gentrification's Edge.
    Club:
    Philadelphia Union
    to whoever mentioned relegation: IT WILL NEVER HAPPEN! no way in hell a potential invester is going to dish out 20 million on a team that could potentially be dropped from the top ranks.

20. Sunderland_til_death

Nov 12, 2005
    Mob Town
    I see what your saying but do not agree. Chelsea already had a Playoff match against all the teams in the league. And guess what they beat the majority. So they are the champion. The cup is for playoff type games or playoff type system.

Americans are not use to a single table but it can still work. Nascar is somewhat of a single table and it works there. The chase for th cup is a way they introduced a playoff in nascar.

There are not enough teams in MLS for a good season of 34-40 games. the way i would fix that is by allowing the teams in the top of the table to play each other at the end. 12 teams so the last 5-6 games would pput top half teams against top half teams and vis versa. Now i know the bottom teams would say o we dont have nothing to play for. Relegation.:D

I know there is no were to be relegated to now, but hopfully in the future threr can be. That way the last 6 games of the season really mean something.

I know this want happen anytime soon but i think it would be a way to fix the playoffs, single tables, and relegation. Everyone has what they want

21. scaryice

scaryice Member

Jan 25, 2001
    I disagree.

22. metrofan89

metrofan89 Member

Jun 13, 2005
    Did ANYONE read the 20 questions with Don Garber? A single table wont be happening for atleast 10 years.

23. SYoshonis

SYoshonis Member+

Jun 8, 2000
    Manistee, Michigan
    Club:
    Michigan Bucks
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    This is perfectly analogous, since EPL teams don't all play each other home and away, and depend on the opinions of writers and coaches to rank them.

Oh wait, they don't..... :rolleyes:

If you think that the NCAA tournament determines the best basketball team in the country, you didn't pay much attention to the most recent one.

24. Lord15

Lord15 New Member

Jun 20, 2001
    Southeast
    I'm pretty sure Garber has shot the rel. argument down several times.

25. Ringo

Ringo Member

Jun 10, 2002
    Rough and Ready
    Club:
    Yeovil Town FC
    Nat'l Team:
    United States

which is your right, of course.

but you're still wrong. :)