Questions about Japan NT

Discussion in 'Japan' started by Lucarneopposee, May 31, 2010.

1. Lucarneopposee

Lucarneopposee New Member

Mar 19, 2010
    Rennes
    Club:
    FC Girondins de Bordeaux
    Hello,

I am a French webmaster of a website dedicated to all world footballs and I’m preparing a whole report on different national teams that will take part of the next Word Cup (WC). On my website, among other international leagues, I cover J-league every week. Now I wanted to speak more specificaly about the Japanese NT with you.

So if you agree, I’d like to ask you few questions (they look very long but they are quite few) :

The first ones concern the draw and you expectations with this WC.

– What do you think of the draw ?

– What do you expect for Japan ?

Next questions concern japanese soccer and the NT.

- Since the "Agony of Doha", Japanese NT has made constant progress reaching World Cup in France and entering in the world lights in 2002 with the round of 16. But since then, 2006 WC was a failure (I don't know if fans are thinking it is actually a failure - for me it looks like, I was expecting more from Japan) and Japanese clubs are now enduring difficulties because of constant progress of South Korean and now Australian clubs as we could see during this last AFC Champions league (I'm covering it for my website). Looking from France, I have the feeling that whereas South Korea was able to take advantage from 2002, Japan has missed something (even if I don't know what). Is this the case or is it just due to some kind of transition era in which the NT has entered since few years (your squad is composed with a lot of young players) ? What is the situation of local japanese football inside AFC at the moment ?

- As I talk about players : I think most european and french know Matsui and Honda, probably also Morimoto and Hasebe but all the others are not well known because of the lack of a decent J-league coverage (I'm working on it ^^). On which players would you advise to take a close look ?

Thank you in advance

nicolas

2. Matsu

Matsu Member

Mar 28, 2001
    ACL is meaningless. If you are using that as your guideline, then all you are getting is disinformation.

The ACL involves long, expensive, 18-hour airplane flights (each way) at midweek, and the only way to really compete in that competition is to forget about winning your domestic league (take a look at the current domestic standings of the four ACL teams from Korea and you can see what Im talking about).

Even if officiating wasnt wildly erratic, turning the competition into little more than a roulette game, teams from the J.League have minimal incentive to make a full effort, because the ACL champion gets less prize money than the team that finishes fifth in the J.League. Indeed, prize money is so modest that ONLY the top two teams last year made a profit. Everyone else lost money by taking part.

If you had the choice between MAYBE winning the ACL, or finishing in the top five in Japan (which isnt as succeptible to chance), all the incentives except one -- publicity and pride -- argue in favour of concentrating on domestic football. That factor is still viewed as important enough for people to take part, but if you ask any coach which games he considers more important, he wont hesitate to tell you.

In fact, coach Takahata of Kawasaki Frontale got in trouble earlier this year because he was asked some question like that at a press conference organized by the ACL, and answered "The J.League, of course." . . . at which point everyone in the room murmured with embarassment, the AFC official who was in the room jumped in and said "I think that was a mis-translation", and Takahata . . . realising what had happened, continued his answer . . . "actually we treat both with equal importance."

3. Lucarneopposee

Mar 19, 2010
    Rennes
    Club:
    FC Girondins de Bordeaux
    and don't you think this is a bad idea ?

I mean, continental competitions are always great to improve more and more. Australian teams (clubs and NT) are improving every year since they came to AFC, it is also the case all over the world (that's what i noticed after interviewing fans from everywhere).

On the other hand, Kashima was doing quite well this year during group stage. They could have go quite further as they were among the favorite and have enough good players to play ACL and J-league (to my opinion). Last year, Pohang won ACL and reached semies in K-league. I really think that top teams can manage to play both competitions.

BTW : no-one has answers to my questions ?

4. nsato

nsato Member

Oct 11, 2009
    It could have been better but it also could have been worse. The fact that Cameroon is in terrible form gives me a little comfort.

Getting out of the group is our realistic goal but I am just expecting 3pts.

We could have done better in 02 and we should have done better in 06 but I don't think we missed anything. We've taken a step back but it happens to every country. We're just not good enough this cycle and Okada isn't the greatest coach so we are seeing what we should expect.

Kagawa is the one to keep an eye on. He didn't get into the squad but he just signed with Dortmund. He's an attacking mid and just only 21. Uchida is also very good. He's 22 and just signed for Shalke. Plays right back and is a liablity in the back but magnificant going forward. He's not fit right now but if does play in the World Cup, he'll be important for us.

5. Elliad

Elliad Member

Jun 22, 2002
    Sydney, Australia
    How does that compare when you take into account the money earned from playing in the CWC and winning a game or two?

And I thought the AFC subsidizes (if not pay 100% of) travelling costs now?

6. Matsu

Matsu Member

Mar 28, 2001
    What money?

The point I made was that you get much less money for performance, on a per-game basis. You get ZERO for winning a game, and only a tiny amount for participating. Prize money only starts to get meaningful from the semifinal stage on...

However if you want to take it further, you also get much Much MUCH less from ticket sales and broadcasting, while your expenses are a lot higher.

- ACL is only broadcast on Asahi BS and from what Ive heard, that money goes to the AFC, not the clubs. Compare that to J.League matches, where clubs get a portion of the broadcast revenue
    -Attendances for ACL matches this year ranged from slightly over half (for Sanfrecce) to less than 1/5th (for Kashima) the average attendance at League matches.

As for expenses, travel costs are NOT fully reimbursed. The AFC gives an allowance, but I was told directly by a person who works for Frontale that the actual cost they had to pay was more than twice the amount given for allowance. If you fly budget airlines, coach class, and stay in a one-star hotel, you might break even. Otherwise the money comes out of the club's pocket. With fuel prices rising and international travel becoming more expensive, I would not be the least surprised to see the ACL collapse within a few more years. If they can find better sponsorship and improve the financial rewards, as well as get stronger broadcasting promotion, perhaps the tournament MIGHT improve, but until they can get fans in Japan to care about it, the ACL isnt going anywhere....

7. Elliad

Elliad Member

Jun 22, 2002
    Sydney, Australia
    Are you sure?

I was just curious, because Pohang last year got just over 2 million US after winning the championship - according to you that's not higher than what a 5th placed J-league team would get. But then Pohang also participated in the CWC, where:

they won a match to proceed to the SF, then finished in the 3rd place to get another 2.5 million, ending up with around 4.5 million USD total for participating in the ACL, winning it and playing in the CWC. So how does it compare now?

8. Matsu

Matsu Member

Mar 28, 2001
    Well, if what you posted is accurate then theyve added money for each game won, since I last checked. But those numbers are still tiny. Do you know how much it costs to fly 30-40 people from Tokyo to Beijing (much less Tokyo to Adelaide)? Add in the cost of practice ground rental, catering and hotel - lets face it, even if you win and get $40,000+$30,000 travel reimbursement, you still arent breaking even.

What I do know is that a report in the Sydney Morning Herald earlier this year stated that the only clubs who made a net profit from participation last year were Pohang and Ittihad. Everyone else lost money.

It gets worse when you compare to J.League revenues. The gate receipts alone for a J.League game (lets assume 15,000 fans) is between 30 and 40 million yen. Thats $400,000-$500,000 and we havent even started considering broadcasting revenues.

There isnt even any comparison.

9. Lucarneopposee

Mar 19, 2010
    Rennes
    Club:
    FC Girondins de Bordeaux
    If I can participate : okay Matsu but how to explain that South Korean perform well without disturbing their national competition results (look at Pohang and Seoul last year).

This reminds me what we always say/read in France about Europa League. We have teams that fight hard to qualify for it but every season in February/March, when this competition starts to be really interesting, our teams tend to fail because, as they say, it costs money and that the priority has to stay french league.

With this kind of strategy, the only result that we have is that France has never win any Europa League and keeps its time complaining with what I would call, wrong arguments. For me, the only arguments is that others are better at these stages.

10. Matsu

Matsu Member

Mar 28, 2001

That was ONE occasion.
    Better to look at the example of Seongnam (I think it was Seongnam), who won the ACL the same year that they finished dead LAST in the KLeague. In Korea, if you finish dead last you dont get relegated. The J.League is a lot more severe on teams that have a slump, and if you are not careful, you may end up like Tokyo Verdy (who can trace the starting point of their financial woes almost directly to their participation in the 2006 ACL).

All you need to do is look at that one example, (and then a few examples of the ACL officiating like this [ame="http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=4QgrTZGUy1E"]YouTube- AFC Officiating: Part three[/ame] or this [ame="http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=vmMab9TN5dI"]YouTube- AFC Officiating: Part 2[/ame] or this [ame="http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=bj_C8ASb77c"]YouTube- AFC Officiating: Part one[/ame] ) and you quickly understand why J.League teams are a bit less than 100% interested in the ACL.

11. scotch17

scotch17 Member

Jun 15, 2008
    Entebbe
    Nat'l Team:
    Japan
    I think another major factor is -- as Matsu has noted the lack of -- attendance.
    Until JLeague fans show up, it's unlikely to see JLeague clubs take much interest.
    I think given the various factors -- and this clear message from the fanbase themselves that it's not a vital trophy -- it's unlikely to become a very important competition for Japanese clubs.

That said, unlike Matsu, I do enjoy and appreciate ACL. And I think it's improving -- slowly but surely, and especially with the new professionalization, format, and measures to make it more viable financially.
    But it's unlikely in the foreseeable future that it will ever be more important than JLeague itself, or even approaching the importance of JLeague -- especially considering Korea and Australia have no worries about being relegated. Those sides can devote themselves entirely to ACL and piss as many league matches away as they like -- whereas the table in JLeague is often very compressed in the middle and it takes but a few mistakes to find yourself in relegation battle.

12. Matsu

Matsu Member

Mar 28, 2001
    I never said I dont enjoy it.
    OK, there ARE some occasions like the match shown in the YouTube clips, where the ACL can be completely unwatchable. But I do enjoy many of the games.

I also enjoy the Nabisco Cup, the Xerox Cup, the JOMO all-star match, and the friendlies against European clubs during the summer. I even enjoyed the "Hide Nakata's washed up old men team vs. Ventforet Kofu benchwarmers and U-18 players" match. But you can "enjoy" something, and still recognise that it is WAY down the list of priorities for the team in terms of how much effort they put in.......

13. scotch17

scotch17 Member

Jun 15, 2008
    Entebbe
    Nat'l Team:
    Japan
    Perhaps I should rephrase that I enjoy it on the same level as "blockbuster" JLeague matches such as Urawa - Kashima.
    But I recognize most people don't, and I can understand why that's the case for fans and clubs alike.

14. Elliad

Elliad Member

Jun 22, 2002
    Sydney, Australia
    I see - your initial post had only placed emphasis on the relatively small prize money and not the tickets revenue and that's what I was rather confused about; it seems like you were basing your assessment on the ACL of 2008 and earlier and not 2009, and I was wondering why you would say the ACL prize money is less than that of 5th placed J-league team when the J-league champions get somewhere between 1.5-2 million USD - which is less than half of what Pohang earned as prize money last year.

Anyway, considering how the AFC signed a sponsorship deal with WSG that's worth 1 billion USD spread over 8 years starting from 2013 where most of the money will be allocated to the ACL, I guess that the prize money will at least triple and even quadruple in the upcoming years and J-league clubs should get more interested, then.

15. AKITOD

AKITOD Member+

Apr 5, 2007
    Hobart, Aust
    Club:
    JEF United Ichihara
    Nat'l Team:
    Japan
    Honestly do not give a crap how japanese clubs do in ACL and do think its a pointless exercise. The only benefit I've seen recently is that Yuya Osako has been starting some of those games. Also the manner in which AFC operates its competitions pretty much disgusts me and the improvements that are seen in the ACL are only due to the work of Saburo Kawabuchi's alterations to the competition.

On top of that, Japanese clubs doing well at ACL level doesn't add any more prestige to the J.League as majority of Asia recognises J.League as the best league of Asia even after this season which there were no J-teams in the last 8.

16. Lucarneopposee

Mar 19, 2010
    Rennes
    Club:
    FC Girondins de Bordeaux
    I find really interesting and I have to say that I'm a bit sad to see that the asian equivalent of European Champion's league gets as few consideration to you as Europa League get with lots of french.

I follow ACL for one of my blogs (totally dedicated to it) and also for my own pleasure and really enjoy it.

What's also interesting is that when I discussed with south korean they also told me that ACL was clearly not a priority and even that korean medias didn't care about it (they also don't care so much about K-league which has a poor coverage on TV).

The funny thing is that these kind of continental competition is required (to my opinion) for constantly improve local football.

17. Matsu

Matsu Member

Mar 28, 2001
    Say what?
    You seem to have left out a "0"
    Kashima's prize money for first place was Y2 billion (US$20 million+), not Y200 million

Even the Nabisco Cup first prize is US$5.5 million
    http://soccernet.espn.go.com/news/story?id=697141&cc=4716

The Xerox Cup - a single exhibition match at the start of the year - earned the Kashima a bit over $1 million or about 50% of the money as Pohang got for the entire ACL.

The fifth place J1 team earns roughly US$2 million.
    The first place ACL team earns considerably less (until you start counting the World Club Champ.s, which is an entirely different competition)

18. OneiroPhobia

OneiroPhobia Member

Feb 10, 2010
    While the ACL is generally not that big a deal or important all round, the ticket to the the CWC is a pretty decent perk (much like the Asian Cup ---> Confederations Cup). The chance of playing the European Champion (South American Champion not so much) in a meaningful match in a FIFA club tournament much like how Urawa and Gamba did against AC Milan and Manchester Utd certainly adds global exposure for the club and abit of presitge not to mention the financial gains for just playing a few games. Its abit ironic and a shame that the two times a J.League club won the ACL a J.League club would have entered the CWC anyway.

Perhaps but one could argue that abit prestige was lost from the "embarrassment" this year. Basically outsiders looking into Asian football generally use this tournament as a measuring gauge regardless of whether this is a proper measuring gauge or not.

What is this WSG that you speak of?

19. Lucarneopposee

Mar 19, 2010
    Rennes
    Club:
    FC Girondins de Bordeaux
    on the other hand I only see two ways to measure the evolution of a local football over time and to compare it with the evolution of local football in the area : looking how the national team perform during international competitions and doing the same with clubs.

20. Matsu

Matsu Member

Mar 28, 2001
    WRONG!
    That is true in Europe, where the longest flight if 4-5 hours and the longest time difference about 3 hours. In Asia, though, continental competitions have to deal with debilitating problems of distance. I dont know how many times youve travelled abroad, but I used to travel from Japan to Singapore or Hong Kong about once a month, for my job (MUCH MUCH shorter trips and less jet lag than Japan-Qatar or Australia-Iran, for example). After the first trip it isnt so hard to recover, but after youve made three trips in three months, you walk around like a zombie for the next week. Ive never met anyone who doesnt experience the same problem. Why do you think European clubs hate to release Asian players for friendlies?

Taking part in the ACL is a physically debilitating exercise. If you pass the quarterfinals, and start making the long-haul home-and-away matches from East Asia to West Asia, your club will be incapable of playing for two weeks after they get back. Even last year, Pohang was in first place in the K.League before they had to play the semifinal, but they ended up falling well short of a title. The same happened to Urawa Reds in 2007.

If youve never travelled in Asia, on a 19-hour flight over 7 time zones and then back, all in the space of 3-4 days then Im sorry-you dont know what youre talking about. Continental competitions in Asia are detrimental to football. Period.

21. AKITOD

AKITOD Member+

Apr 5, 2007
    Hobart, Aust
    Club:
    JEF United Ichihara
    Nat'l Team:
    Japan
    holy crap I had no idea the champions get $20 million I thought it was less than 10 million.

That makes the ACL even more a useless exercise.

hang on, the 5.5 million for the Nabisco was won by Kawasaki for being runners up. Meaning FC Tokyo would've got much more probably.

22. nsato

nsato Member

Oct 11, 2009
    On the J League website, it says first place gets 200 million yen(2 million USD+). I find it very hard to believe that the winner gets 20 million USD. But if the Nabisco Cup winner get 5.5 million USD, you might be right and the website might be wrong.

23. shuvy87

shuvy87 Moderator
    Staff Member

Oct 17, 2003
    USA
    Club:
    Liverpool FC
    Nat'l Team:
    Japan
    Honestly, I dont know where people are getting their numbers:

Prize Money for J1:
    http://www.j-league.or.jp/j1/profile.html
    Official Document: http://www.j-league.or.jp/aboutj/2009pdf/12.pdf

Champions 200 million yen -> US$ 2 million
    Runners-up 100 million yen -> US$ 1 million
    3rd: 80 million yen -> US$ 800K
    4th: 60 million yen -> US$ 600K
    5th: 40 million yen -> US$ 400K
    6th: 20 million yen -> US$ 200K
    7th: 10 million yen -> US$ 100K

Nabisco Cup
    http://www.j-league.or.jp/yncup/profile.html

Champion: US$ 1 million
    Runners-up: US$ 500K
    semifinalist: US$ 200K

Kawasaki received $550k last year, not 5.5 million. I believe that ESPN article is wrong.

People, if you are true fans of Japanese football, stop making excuses like refs were biased, prize money is not enough, or travel time is too long and just admit that Japanese clubs were beaten and our clubs need to improve next time around. As a Japanese person, this is one thing we do not do.

However, I do have to agree that our clubs needs to figure out how to attract more fans on midweek fixture, but as far as I'm concerned, football level-wise we have enough quality to win title again.

24. Elliad

Elliad Member

Jun 22, 2002
    Sydney, Australia
  25. shuvy87

shuvy87 Moderator
    Staff Member

Oct 17, 2003
    USA
    Club:
    Liverpool FC
    Nat'l Team:
    Japan
    oops, I must have been very pissed off. :eek:

Oh well, you caught me before I edited out the last phrases, so I will just leave it.