Question

Discussion in 'FC Dallas' started by SgtSchultz, Jan 19, 2004.

1. SgtSchultz

SgtSchultz Member

Jul 11, 2001
    Parts Unknown
    While going to Barnes and Nobles to look for a travel book, I stumbled across a magazine that had a topic about the globalization of soccer. The article itself was a decent read but what really caught my attention was the mentioning of Thomas Hicks’ investment group and their purchase of a Brazilian soccer team. I had already read about the purchase. That did not surprise me. What did, however, was the trouble the franchise had in making a solid return on Hicks’ investment. Also, the article mentioned Dallas and Columbus had higher average attendance’s than many Brazilian top-flight teams.

In my opinion, Tom Hicks blew it by not investing in the Burn. He had a golden opportunity to help build a soccer franchise in the metroplex relatively cheaply. Now with Frisco only a year away, do you think Mr. Hicks regrets not taking a chance on the Burn?

2. Massgeno_Side

Massgeno_Side New Member

Jan 12, 2004
    Texas
    I know I regret him not having the team now.

HSG has a horrid relationship with the City and the Cotton Bowl. I can't help but think that Hicks would've done better on both the relationships side (not only with City officials, but Hispanics as well), and 'real' marketing dollars targeted wisely.

3. Alexx Sanz

Alexx Sanz New Member

Jan 15, 2004
    Texas
    Hicks has investments in soccer in Brazil and Argentina and in Hispanic Television. I would think his company is miles ahead of HSG in terms of Hispanic marketing saavy.

Yet again, it's not like the Rangers tear it up in that department. But for soccer, he probably would have made sure the Hispanics were an important component. No Southlake debacle if he's in charge.

4. burn 2002

burn 2002 New Member

Dec 27, 2001
    Alot of Stars and Rangers fans might disagree about Hick's ownership. God people.. Give these guys some time. Please. They made up in part for the SouthLake fiasco by returning to the C.B. They hired a good G.M. Give them a chance to right the ship. As for learning Hispanic marketing. Just because they own a few teams down there doesn't mean they got expertise in that area. There is NO Hispanic marketing in South America. There isn't much need for it. The press covers the local teams everyday. They don't advertise upcoming games. The fans all know when they are. ANY marketing strategy down there isn't going to work here. It's just not the same ball game.It is THE sport down there. Here it is the 5th major isn't it??

5. Alexx Sanz

Alexx Sanz New Member

Jan 15, 2004
    Texas
    Hicks' expertise in Hispanic marketing doesn't come from owning south american teams. It comes from having a stake in Fox Sports Espanol (US audience) and such properties as the Libertadores Cup.

But like I said, he hasn't been a trailblazer with the Rangers. I just think he would be saavy about the fact that soccer needs to target hispanics. HSG obviously had to learn their lesson the hard way. Hopefully the move back to the CB signifies they are ready to get back on track in that regard.

And as far as you're concerned Burn 2002, you were quite the cheerleader for the Southlake move if I remember correctly. So I take everything you say with a grain of Burn PR salt.

6. burn 2002

burn 2002 New Member

Dec 27, 2001
    NO, I was not a cheerleader for Southlake. I simply asked people to give it a chance. People were freaking out about it before a game was even played there. If you read my posts I have said that it was a huge mistake. But I NEVER said it was a great deal. Only before the season started I said to wait and see before you bitch about it. Just like I am saying now. Give the guys a chance to rectify their mistakes and Collin a chance to build and coach this team.And gee, if being positive all the time instaed of whining about the team, then I guess I am a cheerleader. So sue me..And, you completly missed , or ignored my point about "Hispanic" marketing in South America, didn't you??

7. Alex Sanz

Alex Sanz New Member

Apr 6, 2000
    TX
    No, I didn't ignore it, I addressed it in my first sentence. I said I wasn't referring necessarily to Hicks' South American holdings as making him more Hispanic marketing saavy. It's his holdings in Hispanic media outlets in the US that give him that edge.

8. Pegasus

Pegasus Member+

Apr 20, 1999
    Club:
    FC Dallas
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Hey Alex, I have to ask - why the two x's sometimes and now a return to the single x?