Question

Discussion in 'Referee' started by Nate2L, Aug 27, 2002.

1. Nate2L

Nate2L New Member

Jul 21, 2001
    PA
    I know there are certain things in the rules that don't allow cards to be given out for certain fouls if a goal is scored unless the goal wouldn't count if you gave the card. So I am wondering about this:

On a cross in the goal comes out while the offensive player is going up for the ball right after the offensive player heads it the goalie punches him on purpose but the ball goes in the net. Can the goal stand and the goalie be carded or do they have to not let the goal stand in order to card the goal keeper? Thanks in advance.

2. blech

blech Member+

Jun 24, 2002
    California
    i'll be interested to hear what the other experts say, but i was unaware of anything that prohibited a card in this situation.

to break it down (and i'm assuming in your hypo that the punch occurs before the ball crosses the goalline), you play the advantage, allow the ball to go into the goal, and then give the card once there is a stoppage in play, namely once the goal is scored. this would be a normal application of the advantage rule and the delayed card. i was unaware of an exception in the event a goal was scored.

3. billf

billf Member+

May 22, 2001
    Club:
    Philadelphia Union
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    I would concur with blech. You allow the advantage to see the ball go into the goal and then send off the keeper.

What you may be thinking of is a situation where defender attempts to handle a ball to deny a goal scoring opportunity, but the ball goes into goal despite his getting a touch to it. The goal would count, but you can't really send the defender off because he didn't deny a goal scoring opportunity.

4. Nate2L

Nate2L New Member

Jul 21, 2001
    PA
    thanks bill you hint it right on the head i was thinking it might be one of those deal type things. thanks for you advice guys. some times you guys don't get the credit for actually know the rules, i have seen many times that people put you down for something cuz you try to explain it and they disagree even tho you know the rules. thanks for your time. your intelligence does not go unnoticed by me.

5. KidRef

KidRef New Member

Jun 27, 2000
    California
    However, you can, and should probably, send the goalie off for violent conduct. Punching a player on purpose without even attempting to play the ball is considered VC, and generally the LOTG should be applied as such.

6. soccernutter

soccernutter Moderator
    Staff Member

Tottenham Hotspur
    Aug 22, 2001
    Near the mountains.
    Club:
    Tottenham Hotspur FC
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Kid, that is what I was just thinking. Give the advantage which allows the goal to occur. Once the play stops, send the keeper off for violent conduct (VC). I just got done with a class, and a very similar question came up.

7. Andyrey

Andyrey New Member

Aug 12, 2002
    Raleigh NC
    I agree that no red card should be given in this situation, but a yellow for unsporting behavior should be given.

8. Greyhnd00

Greyhnd00 New Member

Jan 17, 2000
    Rediculously far nor
    Punching someone in the head????????a yellow card? are you kidding me? What do you have to do to get a red card on your field???? Take out a knife and stab someone? twice?

9. BrianCappellieri

BrianCappellieri Red Card

Feb 11, 2002
    Wiltord pushed someone very hard to the ground and later took another player's legs out from behind, running at full speed.

He only got a yellow... ;)

10. Andyrey

Andyrey New Member

Aug 12, 2002
    Raleigh NC
    I am sorry, but where did the punching someone in the head come from. I do not see that in the quote or in Billf's post.

11. Greyhnd00

Greyhnd00 New Member

Jan 17, 2000
    Rediculously far nor

12. Andyrey

Andyrey New Member

Aug 12, 2002
    Raleigh NC
    I was replying to the situation that Billf posed that had to do with atempt to stop an obvious GSO. In the situation described by Nate2L, the keeper goes for serious foul play (if he was playing the ball) or violent conduct (if he was not). The goal makes no difference. Of course, if the referee blew the wistlw for the foul before the ball was in the net, the restart would be a PK.

13. jkc313

jkc313 Member

Nov 21, 2001
    There have been no rule changes. Apply advantage for the striking. Allow the goal to stand. Then send the keeper off for violent conduct and show the red card