Question on going to London + Football

Discussion in 'Premier League: News and Analysis' started by depor15, Nov 5, 2003.

1. depor15

depor15 Member

Jun 28, 1999
    I am hoping to be in London on the weekend after Christmas. How hard will it be to get a ticket for any of the games that weekend. I don't really have a favorite EPL team so which team I see does not concern me. I am just looking to see any game.
    Any suggestions are welcomed
    Thanks

2. Alan_V

Alan_V Member

Apr 22, 2003
    Anaheim, CA via NJ
    Club:
    Blackburn Rovers FC
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Go to www.premierleague.com and select the Season Fixtures box. You can list the schedule by month. Briefely, of the London clubs, on Friday the 26th, Arsenal, Charlton and Fulham are home. Sunday the 28th, Chelski and Spurs are home. Pick the game and go to that club's site and see if you can organize some tickets.

Good luck!

3. Golasso

Golasso New Member

May 6, 2003
    Somewhere in Texas
    Club:
    Manchester City FC
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Also, take a look at ticketmaster.co.uk.

4. Mobile

Mobile New Member

Jul 29, 2002
    Melbourne
    There are also plenty of other London teams outside the Premiership.

5. The Double

The Double Moderator
    Staff Member

Nov 11, 2002
    Denver
    Very true. Take a look at attending a QPR or a Palace match.

6. MightyBees

MightyBees New Member

Aug 16, 2003
    London, England
    Brentford are at home to Britsol City on Boxing Day if you get here a bit early!
    Always brings an exciting fixture!

7. Hosscat

Hosscat New Member

Jul 21, 2003
    Denver
    I'd check out White Hart Lane if I were you.... It's seriously old school (about 100 years old school)- a little different from "Invesco Field at Mile High." I saw the Spurs play there last season- they actually won too.

Ticketmaster.UK is not an option for home THFC matches.... I think you'll actually have to call the ticket office.

8. Brook

Brook BigSoccer Supporter

Sep 13, 2001
    Cleveland
    Club:
    Chelsea FC
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    White Hart Lane is a little difficult to get to, depending where you're staying in the city. It's in North London, a long tube ride away and then a switch to an overland train. Very old ground. I went there once last season and then once about a month ago. Alot of history though. You've got to get a map before you go, figure out where you're staying, and then find the closest ground. But, with the excellent underground system, you're pretty close to just about everything. Tickets are expensive for all the clubs though, so take the dollar's slide against the pound into account.

9. Random

Random New Member

May 20, 2002
    N4 again
    Here's a list of the football in the capital over that weekend, with KO time:

Fri 26 December
    Barclaycard Premiership

Arsenal v Wolverhampton 12.00
    Charlton v Chelsea 12.00
    Fulham v Southampton 12.00
    Nationwide Division One
    Crystal Palace v Millwall 15.00
    West Ham v Ipswich 15.00
    Nationwide Division Two
    Brentford v Bristol City 15.00

Sunday 28 December
    Barclaycard Premiership

Chelsea v Portsmouth 12.30
    Tottenham v Charlton 15.00
    Nationwide Division One
    Millwall v Gillingham 15.00
    Nationwide Division Two
    QPR v Colchester 15.00
    Nationwide Division Three
    Leyton Orient v Torquay 15.00

Would suggest avoiding the Millwall games. One's a South London derby, and the other's against Gillingham, who have a little previous of their own. The tickets to games involving highest-profile teams (Arsenal, Chelsea) will be difficult to get hold of. I'd suggest getting on to the official websites and finding out what the ticket situation is for any of the games you might be interested in.

Hope this helps.

10. SuperElf

SuperElf Member

Jul 16, 1999
    Dallas, TX
    Club:
    FC Dallas
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    I JUST came back from a trip to England (but I was only there to watch football). You could walk to WHL from the tube. I was in a walking cast with a broken leg, and still made it in about half an hour. It's a little over a mile, I'd guess. There are buses running up Tottenham High Road constantly, too. I know QPR/Fulham, Arsenal and Chelsea are all much easier to get to from the tube. Didn't make it to the Valley, though.

Ditto the "stay away from Millwall" advice.

As for tickets, Spurs don't go through Ticketmaster, but I called right at the onsale time for the Bolton match and got front row. (I would have rather been 5 rows up or so, but can't complain too much.) Tickets are toughest for derby/rivalry games. At a glance, short of the Spurs/Charlton fixture, I'd imagine none of those are Category A matches, meaning there's no restrications on the public buying tickets. Just call right when they go on sale. (The fixtures you're looking at will likely go on sale this week or next.)

11. Random

Random New Member

May 20, 2002
    N4 again
    Looking at the fixtures I posted up there...

If you have no particular preference, you might well be able to get Charlton tix for home to Chelsea on Friday and away to Spurs on Sunday.

See the same team, one home, one away, both against local opposition (hopefully not entirely dead despite being Charlton), in two days.

Charlton aren't the biggest team in the world, so you might be able to get the tickets without paying well over the odds. You'd have to get organised though.

Just an idea.

12. SuperElf

SuperElf Member

Jul 16, 1999
    Dallas, TX
    Club:
    FC Dallas
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Problem is, because they are both London-London games, those two are likely to restrict sales to those who already have ticket stubs (to make sure a bunch of away fans can't buy tickets in the main stands and start trouble). Worth a shot, but don't get your hopes up. (Unless you have friends in the area . . . always a good thing.)