Question on Advantage

Discussion in 'Referee' started by shelbo, Aug 23, 2010.

1. shelbo

shelbo Member+

Oct 16, 2007
    L.A.
    Club:
    Los Angeles Galaxy
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    In my daughter's game this weekend, Blue, on defense, committed a fairly obvious push just outside the penanty area. The ref delayed the whistle, the girl on Red that was pushed recovered well, took one more touch, and ripped a shot that went out just wide of the post.
    The ref then blew the whistle, and gave an indirect free kick to Red for the push.
    To me, he let Red play the advantage, they got a great advantage in the form of a clear shot on goal that was missed, so he should not have blown the whistle or granted the free kick.
    Am I right?

2. LiquidYogi

LiquidYogi Member

Sep 3, 2009
    Club:
    Seattle Sounders
    Well I can tell you one thing...a push isn't punished by an Indirect Free Kick.

3. awalkb

awalkb Member

Jun 10, 2009
    You are right of course, referee messed up twice with call and the restart.

4. nonya

nonya Member

Mar 2, 2006
    I am not doubting you, but how do you know it was an indirect? Did he have his arm up for an indirect? Just curious.

And yes, once the shot is taken going back for the foul is off the table. The most you could do in that situation is the GK and a card/warning.

5. BritishRef

BritishRef New Member

Aug 16, 2010
    Preston, Lancs, UK
    Club:
    Portsmouth FC
    Nat'l Team:
    England
    Correct for me. They had the advantage, wasted it, not the ref's problem so get on with the game. Can't bring it back for that.

6. LiquidYogi

LiquidYogi Member

Sep 3, 2009
    Club:
    Seattle Sounders
    Just asking...how well planted did the player get after they stumbled. Did they get firmly behind the ball or did they just take a wild strike while trying to catch themselves after the push?

I ask because of course the moment the referee decides to blow the whistle is when the foul is called not after, he might've stumbled with his whistle, or whatever to see if the player got a fair advantage instead of just swiping at the ball half-heartedly.

We haven't seen the play so we can't really know... ya know?

7. SoccerScottWV

SoccerScottWV Member

Jan 6, 2007
    Charleston,WV,USA
    This is such an excellent point. Most people who haven't reffed probably don't understand the delay between decision and whistle. Excellent point.

8. soccerking1990

Aug 11, 2010
    Texas
    Club:
    Arsenal FC
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    If the player gets off a solid shot and not effected by the push, then I would call for a GK. Now if the player made a sloppy shot because she was off balance from the push, then I would bring it back for a direct free kick. That's the best I can help you without seeing the play myself.