Question from a Juve fan...

Discussion in 'Arsenal' started by ECMoney, Jul 15, 2005.

1. ECMoney

ECMoney Member

May 9, 2003
    Toronto
    Hey guys,
    Just a question to ask you guys. Are you guys happy to see Patrick Vieira go or was he still a fan favourite for Arsenal? Personally being a Juve fan myself I was not thrilled when they officially signed Vieira as I was never a big fan of his and I do think he is overrated but maybe I just never gave him a full chance and didn't watch enough of him over the years. I just don't put him in that class with Zidane, Nedved, Totti, Figo, etc in terms of midfielders but I don't think anyone ranks him to that level, or do you?

Just some feedback about Vieira from you guys would be great, do you think it was a good move for Juve to pick him up?

2. Val1

Val1 Member+

Arsenal
    Mar 12, 2004
    MD's Eastern Shore
    Club:
    Arsenal FC
    Speaking on behalf of everyone here :) ...

Vieira was a huge fan favorite, but we got tired of his seemingly wanting to be somewhere else.

An awe-inspiring performer in his prime, read arseblog.com to get a really good two paragraph summary of what it is like to watch him. But he's no longer in his prime. He's 29, you'll get 2-3 more good years of him, but presumably not great.

What you'll get is a guy who likes the pressure, can handle the big game, a great PK taker, and a guy who can score the crucial goals. He's not in the class of a ZZ or a Figo, or even a Totti, but he doesn't play the attacking creative role. He's a holding mid, but so much more.

Vieira was stunning. It'll be interesting to see how many years you get out of him. And I don't think you overpaid, if you get 2-3 years.

3. goonsquad

goonsquad Member

Apr 1, 2004
    Los Angeles
    Club:
    Arsenal FC
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Well he's certainly not getting any younger, so you guys better win th CL next year. It seems like you whole squad is aging, and while you will be a major force in the next two years, it will all fall apart as your players age together, Vieira included. Oh and IMO, Vieira at his best is a more complete player than any you mentioned. The question is, will you get his best? I think you will for the short term, because of the fresh challenge, but he won't be able to keep it up for more than two seasons.

4. Cannon

Cannon Member

Arsenal
    United States
    Sep 2, 2001
    Washington, DC metro
    Club:
    Arsenal FC
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    The funny thing about that is that the media says he signed a FIVE year deal for them. Does Juve have a "senior" team that I don't know about? :D

5. Its only Ray Parlour

Aug 3, 2003
    London
    In an attacking sense Vieira isn't as skilled as those players you mentioned, that is not his game, although he is actually a very good dribbler. Where Vieira is second to none is his ability to dominate a midfield with his athleticism, fierce tackling and drive. He'll win the ball and intiate a counter-attack with a poweful surge or an incisive pass. Those are his strengths.

His biggest fault is his refusal to shoot when he gets into good positions. He just doesn't believe in himself in that respect. It's a shame as he has scored some rockets in the past.

6. Teso Dos Bichos

Teso Dos Bichos Red Card

Sep 2, 2004
    Purged by RvN
    I think the key will be whether he can adapt to Serie A and the midfield opponents he will be facing. Vieira can easily dominate a game like iorp stated above, but that is if you allow him to. Put pressure on him and snap at his heels, then his overall impact reduces and he can effectively disappear from games. If he is up for the physical battle, then he will get the job done, but he has been known to shirk this resonsibility on occassion.

7. Arsenal_pwns_all

Arsenal_pwns_all New Member

Aug 13, 2004
    Just to add something: Vieira has always been one of the most important players in our squad, but in the recent years he has been increasing pushed around by other midfielders. In the past, he was truly THE midfield powerhouse, and you can see that he is very often the one controling the midfield with his tackles. Still, he did have a few good games (he dominated against Lampard). So, he can still contribute a bit to you guys. Just don't expect too much from him or he'll disappoint the way Henry disappointed for you :rolleyes: .

Generally, most of us are sad to see him go; however his leaving is more a case of Wenger wanting him to leave than him wanting to leave. So, we all trust Wenger and don't see him leaving as too big a problem; in fact if we can get The Beast it would be even better than having Vieira. Even if we can't get The Beast or any other midfielder Cese, Flamini and Hleb can take over his post.

(P.S Don't believe the crap about us wanting to get Jenas)

8. mobjack

mobjack Member

Jun 27, 2005
    Richmond, VA
    Club:
    Arsenal FC
    Nat'l Team:
    Germany
    The one thing, the only thing, I thought I could add is that he always played physical on defense. Whenever the Gunners were up against ManUre or Liverpuddle, he played his best. Roy Keane was non-existent when Patrick covered him, it was a joy to watch him in those big games. You'll be happy with him.

9. Teso Dos Bichos

Teso Dos Bichos Red Card

Sep 2, 2004
    Purged by RvN
    If you are going to lie, at least make it seem believable...

10. icemike49uk

icemike49uk New Member

Mar 23, 2005
    Middlesbrough
    But you rate Totti, what's he achieved? :rolleyes:

11. nikhil rao

nikhil rao New Member

May 14, 2005
    New Delhi, India
    who knows.. maybe Viera is the next Cafu ! is 35 now and still in the top league of defenders or even maldini he's still a defender in one of european power houses!always be optimistic i say !

12. ECMoney

ECMoney Member

May 9, 2003
    Toronto
    During the 2003/04 season, I thought Totti was #1 in the world. If you watch him on a regular basis you would definitely have him in your Top 3. He led Roma to 2nd in Serie A and scored 20 goals in one of his best years yet. I had very high expectations for him at the Euro and so did all of Italy, that was his tournament to shine to the world until he got the boot after the first game. Hopefully he will rebound in Germany next summer and show everyone his true colours. One last comment, you have to remember where Totti plays! If he played for Milan, Juve, Real, or Barcelona he would have won World or European Player of the year that season and definitely would be a bigger star than he already is but he stays in the small market of Roma and is still 4th or 5th highest paid in the world currently.

13. Arsenal_pwns_all

Arsenal_pwns_all New Member

Aug 13, 2004
    Hate to say this, but it's no use being a talented player if you are addicted to spitting and stomping at your opponents. Totti gets respect from me for his ability, but he gets no respect from me for his behaviour. Someone with a behaviour as horrible and disgusting as him can never be considered a class act.

14. Teso Dos Bichos

Teso Dos Bichos Red Card

Sep 2, 2004
    Purged by RvN
    So is Bergkamp not a class act then? :rolleyes:

Most creative players have some kind of flaw.

15. goonsquad

goonsquad Member

Apr 1, 2004
    Los Angeles
    Club:
    Arsenal FC
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    :confused: We're thinking of the same Rome right? :rolleyes:

16. ECMoney

ECMoney Member

May 9, 2003
    Toronto
    They are still a small market team compared to Real Madrid, Juve, Milan, Man United, etc, etc

That is what I was referring to. If Totti played for one of those teams mentioned he would be considered one of the worlds best and a much bigger star.

17. Gmak

Gmak BigSoccer Yellow Card

Jul 13, 2005
    You Guys are extremely lucky. He is Fantasic and is still an arsenal fan favourite. BTW he will still perform well for Juve despite being 29. Makelele is 30-something and he's one of the top 5 best CDM's in the world.

PS he's just as 'world class as zizou, totti :rolleyes: ' these guys play different from vieira but he's just as talented in his position. :cool:

18. topcatcole

topcatcole BigSoccer Supporter

Apr 26, 2003
    Washington DC
    Club:
    Arsenal FC
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    You guys got a steal. We will regret for years selling him.

19. Bighorn

Bighorn New Member

Jan 5, 2005
    41.8 Lat -87.68 Lon
    Club:
    Arsenal FC
    Nat'l Team:
    --other--
    Here is the point to the whole deal...and if you read Arsene's comments on Arsenal.com, this is supported.

He's 29. While Arsene (and most of us supporters) still rates him very highly it just not wise to offer him a 5 year contract. After 9 years of faithful service he was offered a 5 year contract with another club. Arsenal was not willing to match that but was also not willing to stand in the players way.

20. themodelcitizen

Jul 23, 2000
    BMO Field - Sec. 114
    Club:
    Arsenal FC
    Notice how one of his feet is noticeably longer than the other. Tony Adams was once quoted as saying that he only had a few more years left at the top level (and that was a couple years ago). When you watch him run you notice this, and I think it will contribute to his gradual loss of from from here on in. His best days are behind him, he could prove me wrong this season but I'm not surprised that Arsenal felt it was time to let him go. Compared to the rumours of Madrid last season, Arsenal fans are a lot more willing (although reluctant) to see him go.

21. Cannon

Cannon Member

Arsenal
    United States
    Sep 2, 2001
    Washington, DC metro
    Club:
    Arsenal FC
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    It looks to me like Arsenal were not just unwilling to stand in his way but were in fact..."happy" isn't the right word because we'd like to have him for another season or two but "happy" is close, to sell Vieira now. Wenger basically says that the club were worried they'd be stuck with a fading Pv4 who they couldn't sell for much and might not be able to sell at all because Vieira would demand too high of a salary. Then the club would have to let him go on a free during 2007. I doubt that is the whole story but its a start.

22. des1derata

des1derata New Member

Jul 19, 2005
    Montana, USA
    i'm a relatively new gooner (been following them for 3 or 4 years now), but i know that vieira will be desperately missed. he was our capt! you don't where that armband within a wenger squad without having all the intangible qualities. a great, powerful midfielder, with the longest legs in the prem (what is he - 6'3"/6'4"?). i, like everyone else, will miss watching him play. we'll move on and hopefully wenger will unearth the next vieira (who knows, hleb looks pretty damn good!)