Question for supporters groups

Discussion in 'MLS: Clubs' started by chilistrider, Jul 6, 2007.

1. chilistrider

chilistrider Together We Rise

May 9, 2002
    Thornton, CO
    Club:
    Colorado Rapids
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Hi, I am writing on behalf of the Centennial Firm, the Rapids' supporters group that stands and drums and cheers the full 90. Please save your snide comments for a different thread. This is about supporter group solidarity, not about how your group is better than mine.

I have a question for MLS supporter groups around the nation. I want to know what security is like at your stadiums. I want to hear what you are and are not allowed to do. I want to know what your security personnel have threatened you with. I want empirical evidence that the security at Dick's Sporting Goods Park are indeed the biggest pricks out of any of MLS's stadiums.

Which of your groups are, like us, prohibited from throwing confetti and streamers?

Do any of you chant "bull****" when you don't like a ref's call? Has your security personnel ever told you that you weren't allowed to do that?

Has your security ever told you he was keeping track of who was cursing in your group? Has anyone told you at one of your home games that you would be arrested for cursing?

Thanks for helping me out on this fact-finding mission.

Cheers,
    chili

2. Antoshka

Antoshka New Member

May 16, 2007
    Toronto
    i think security is pretty tight at BMO, there are several cops standing in front of the supporters section, there are i believe 1 or two cops in the stands, near the entrance to the section. there are also security guards in front of the section and a bunch of rent a cop kids in the section. we are not allowed to bring anything that is a fire or safety hazard so no flares, smoke bombs, projectiles that can harm people so on... there was one guy who was caught lighting fireworks and not only he had his season ticket revoked but he was also charged with weapons dangerous. also some beer throwers had their season tickets revoked. streamers and confetti and flags and so on are welcome. overall the security personnel are very nice and understanding, the BMO director came out to drink with us one night as well as representatives from the team like the director of business and they are already on first name basis with several supporters. they listen to our requests and try and accomodate us as much as possible. the cops also look like their starting to loosen up abit and im personally on first name basis with several security personnel there. overall id say they are there to make sure we have good fun and stay safe at the same time.

3. Antoshka

Antoshka New Member

May 16, 2007
    Toronto
    oh about cursing we have a PA announcement everytime our bullshit or ******** you chants get really loud but everybody (including security) laughs it off.

4. Bandido

Bandido Member

Apr 6, 2006
    Deperrosbravos N.L.
    Club:
    Houston Dynamo
    In Houston they wont stand for us setting off flares and smoke bombs. they don't allow us to display this huge jersey that the Dynamo gave us because the security staff are worried we will hide under it and set off flares and stuff.
    Someone other than me can tell you more as far as cussing, but I've heard of threats of expulsion for cussing out the Ref.

I believe these grandma's and kids working as security don't understand the culture of the beautiful game. soccer is not like any other sport, it doesn't matter what the score is. you want to enjoy the moment by jumping, chanting and screwing with your rival. They don't get it :rolleyes:

Good luck on your search.

5. peabrainedidiot

peabrainedidiot New Member

Nov 21, 2005
    wessagussett
    Club:
    New England Revolution
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    rapids have a supporters group?:confused::D

seriously, the razor :
    no flag poles over 2 ft, no flares or smoke, they've kind of given up on the swearing as long as its minimal. they enforce nothing particularly consistantly (except flairs, which no one tries because it's been pretty clear that they will take season tix away and toss you (or so they say)). but the security folks are usually pretty nice when all is said and done.

because the way they do seats at gillette, the fort is separated from the rest of the seats and I think it hurts spreading the atmosphere. it's GA and standing room (there are seats but most stand).

6. newtex

newtex Member+

May 25, 2005
    Houston
    Club:
    Houston Dynamo
    Another Houston supporter's response:

Which of your groups are, like us, prohibited from throwing confetti and streamers?

They let us throw streamers and confetti. Of course, our supporters' groups are in an upper deck, not right at the field. Most of our stuff winds up on the concourse between levels or on the lower level. The lower level does often throw a lot of it further on to hit the field.

Do any of you chant "bull****" when you don't like a ref's call? Has your security personnel ever told you that you weren't allowed to do that?

We had a person arrested last year for swearing. (Technically kicked out for swearing and then arrested for resisting the police, I think) I don't think we have had a problem with that this year. We do very little organized chanting with swearing in English. We do not chant "bull****". We chant "culero" and "********" and have not had any problem with those.

Has your security ever told you he was keeping track of who was cursing in your group? Has anyone told you at one of your home games that you would be arrested for cursing?

Nothing like that this season as far as I know. We have a representative of the Dynamo Front Office on hand during games and he has worked with our stadium security to defuse most problems this year.

There was one really bad incident between supporters and police at the stadium this season which led to a walkout and later protest but things have been pretty good overall.

7. chilistrider

chilistrider Together We Rise

May 9, 2002
    Thornton, CO
    Club:
    Colorado Rapids
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Seat cushions don't fall into that category? ;) Seriously though, sounds like you guys have a pretty good situation there. I think TFC is currently the envy of the league in many regards.

Bandido---that is sad about your large Dynamo jersey. The Rapids gave us one like that as well, and so far security has been OK with it. I didn't realize I was taking that for granted. :eek:

And thanks newtex and peabrainedidiot for your feedback as well. I would like to hear still more responses from others. Thanks in advance.

8. outforkicks

outforkicks New Member

May 20, 2005
    Denver,Co
    Just noticed this thread. Kudos Chili for starting it.

Yes Rapids do have supporters but I know why some seem suprised by that.....it isn't because there is a shortage of passionate supporters of the beautifull game here in Denver...it is because our Team owner is a Wank, along with the VP in charge and most (not all) of our FO. They don't allow us to support their team in a way every other team in MLS allows.

The Dippin' Dots who apear in droves for a game or two each season just for the fireworks and getting free shit from the cheerleaders are more important to them than passionate atmospheric supporters who hold season tickets and come for their TEAM.

And we are loosing more supporters every game. Not because of the results of the team itself but because of the moronic stadium staff and security.

So please keep wise cracker remarks about the Rapids and their supporters on other BigSoccer pages.

MLS Supporters as a whole need this feedback. Not just us here in Denver.

Please keep responses coming.... cheers.

9. nymetrobulls

nymetrobulls New Member

Feb 3, 2007
    nyc
    Club:
    New York Red Bulls
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    I'm sorry but the ESC has it the worst here at Giants Stadium. No confetti/streamers(sometimes it is allowed), hanging banners/signs, no poles(which means no flags), or flares.

10. teddy_montoya

teddy_montoya RapidsThugLife

Nov 9, 2006
    Supporters Terrace
    Club:
    Colorado Rapids
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    you guys have it tough, hopefully when you move to RBP it will change...

11. gocaps

gocaps Member

Sep 23, 2000
    With the SEs in 134
    The security at Dick's have a giant puritanical stick up their butt. They're bad.

The security at Giants Stadium will take that stick and beat you over the head with it. They're worse.

12. Red&Black

Red&Black Member+

Aug 30, 2001
    Lot 8
    Club:
    DC United
    Nat'l Team:
    Burkina Faso
    yeah i have to agree, they were a bunch of snotty little punks at dick's but you could tell they were puss--ies but them dudes at giants like to kick ass on dudes. a few times i've gone down with them under the stadium to make sure our people made it back out.

we used to have fights with csc at rfk for years, they even broke one dude's leg and a couple of their dudes got knocked out but now we have the real police there has never been an issue, in fact i'd say the supporters group at rfk probably has it better than anywhere. no issues about language for sure.

paul i'm not directing this at you as you know this as well if not better than i but the general thread readership

13. dadman

dadman Yo soy un papa

DC United
    United States
    Apr 13, 2001
    Reston, VA
    Club:
    DC United
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    And I just want to chime in about the highlighted part to clarify that the Metropolitan Police are there at the request of the supporter's groups because CSC was so bad.

14. Mighty!

Mighty! Member

Apr 19, 2007
    DC
    Club:
    DC United
    CSC are a bunch of goons...

when did RFK's supporters sections change to no CSC? Is there any official record of CSC abuses at United games (Post, Times)?

Have you noticed the CSC guys in Lot 8 as of late, not sure if their scoping out opportunities for free food or what.

Their presence is not welcome..

15. REVS FAN 1

REVS FAN 1 Member

Jul 2, 2004
    Weymouth, MA
    Club:
    New England Revolution
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    I guess we take some things for granted up here in New England as well...

It's taken many years of work between stadium security and The Midnight Riders to loosen the restrictions a bit..As peabrain mentioned we have a standing GA section(The Fort) and we have a regular security guard/Peter Griffin lookalike that works very well with us...

Streamers and confetti are fine...In fact, Monty had a meeting with security at Gillette on day where they we're going to tell him no more streamers on the field...when Jonathan Kraft walked by the office and said something to the effect of those streamers looked great last night...keep it up!:D

Banners are welcome provided they do not have bad language/promote a rival companies product(No Sam Adams!) or cover Gillette Stadium advertising signage....We're able to keep the majority of our banners inside the stadium and they're left out for us before every match...

The flag/pole situation seems to be loosening as well...Earlier this year they measured every flagpole to make sure it was less than 24"....Recently we've been able to bring in much larger ones....We're talking with security now to allow what DCU/SE have...I think that's a longshot at best...

As for language as long as someone doesn't go off on a long tirade we're ok...Our Peter Griffin doesn't like the F word or the middle finger, other than that we're good...If you sneak in a can of beer don't be stupid and hold it up when you're singing...you'll get tossed!

Obviosusly no smoke/flares etc....As much as some of us would love to do that we wouldn't want to jeopardize what concessions we've already gotten from stadium security...

Hopefully Monty and a few of the other original Riders will chime in here as well...Bu thaving travelled to The Swamp several times I can safely say that NJSEA thugs can go a long way towards ruining a match at Giants Stadium...I hope for ESC's sake it's different at RBP...Of course it'll be tough for them to do much with all that Haz-Mat gear on!!!:p

:D

16. HardHatMike

HardHatMike DOOOOOOOOM!

Traktor Nebraska
    Aug 31, 2005
    Lincoln, Nebraska
    Club:
    Columbus Crew
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Here in Columbus, we have almost no complaints about security in either of the supporters' sections. It helps that the security guy in charge of Local 103's section is also a guy that comes to the bar for away matches and is friends with most of us in the section. Flagpoles are, for the most part, kept inside the stadium by our FO contact and laid in front of the section prior to the match. They've put no restrictions on the size so long as they're not waving during the action (but they're understanding about his point and let it go at key times such as late in the game, right after a goal, etc.) They let us bring the drums and cowbells and things of that manner in with no problems. Confetti isn't a problem, and streamers for the most part aren't as long as we do our best to keep them in the stands and not on the field. But accidents happen. :D All of the security supervisors at the gates know the ones of us that are cleared to bring things into the stadium that otherwise wouldn't be allowed. As far a swearing goes, it's sort of frowned upon in the 'older' group that sits on the sideline, but the high schoolers and college guys that stand behind the north goal unload on the opposing keeper with both barrels for the entire half that he's up there.

The biggest piece of advice that I can give you is talk to your group's ticket rep and ask them to work with you and on your behalf. Any other info I can give you, don't hesitate to ask.

HHMike

17. San Jose Ultras

San Jose Ultras New Member

Jul 18, 2007
    Richmond, CA
    It was happening to us in San Jose as well. Even worse...We had a lot of guys arrested for stupid reasons.

18. Intru

Intru Member

Mar 16, 2006
    Rochester, NY
    Club:
    Puerto Rico Islanders
    Man i cant imagine how good some of the MLS SG would look if they would allow all the stuff we are allowed in the Islanders game. LOL we have flare smoke section, but the SG here are so small that we can't do much as far as atmosphere. But things will loosen up and you gusy are gona have some nice tifo going when they do.

19. 60-90 Days

60-90 Days New Member

Apr 6, 2007
    It seems as if you will change your bullsh$# chants to spanish you should be able to get away with it. As NewTex and Bandido mentioned. Down at The Rob (Houston), our SG's don't cuss in english so when fans yell the most unoriginal thing in soccer these days, "********", our security does nothing. The other unoriginal thing that our fans do is disagree with a bad call by chanting "culero". I have a feeling if they chanted "a$%hole" then our security would say something.
    Say it in spanish and you will not be bothered.

20. DINO COSTA

DINO COSTA New Member

Feb 9, 2007
    Chili I was completely unaware of any of this - however I have noted previously on my radio programs that the security and attitude of those doing this kind of work for all KSE teams is more than a little bit over the top...as compared with for instance security and ushers at Colorado Rockies games - a non KSE property - or at Invesco Field, another non KSE property.

For full disclosure however - be advised that many of those puling security and or usher work at Coors Field & Invesco are also employed in similar capacities at Pepsi Center & DSGP.

The difference as I have noted previsouly is in regard to "attitude" and power trips - that KSE personnel seem to employ at their games - versus a much different tone and tenor at non KSE events hosted by many of the same people.

Please feel free to come onto my radio program at any time to discuss this as I would relish to hear more of your feelings on this.

21. edlova

edlova Member

Nov 22, 2004
    Somerville, MA
    where I have been...

Gillette:
    -If we are swearing as a group during a chant or song, nothing happens but if one person shouts something out they get yelled at and told next time is ejection
    -Last season they opened the stadium early during the WC and showed US/Italy on the big screens and after a shocking Italian dive I gave the middle finger to the screen and my season ticket was threatened
    -selectively yelled at if you taunt the away keeper ("no personal attacks" is what they say when they enforce it)
    -yelled at if you make a wanking motion with your hand
    -they sometime allow flagpoles over 2 feet in, sometimes we get stopped and yelled at

Giants Stadium:
    -the worst security ever...seriously, I will let the RB guys explain that one

Dallas and Columbus:
    -didn't allow flagpoles, but overall no real complaints

22. Publius

Publius Member+

May 22, 2001
    Alexandria, VA
    Club:
    DC United
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    I was at the El Salvador qualifier a few years ago at Gillette. Just before the game began, security threatened ejection for anybody throwing streamers towards the field. Of course the El Salvadorans were throwing mostly full plastic bottles at the US supporters after the US scored.:rolleyes: I suppose those folks got thrown out or arrested but it left me with the impression that security had their priorities out of whack.

23. edlova

edlova Member

Nov 22, 2004
    Somerville, MA
    that is correct...our security (Giants Stadium as well) is football security guards who would allow anything during a NFL game but since all soccer fans are hooligans who riot all the time, they clamp down for no reason and find reasons to eject or yell at people at our stadiums...

24. Going Mobile

Going Mobile Moderator
    Staff Member

Apr 15, 2004
    Club:
    CD Chivas USA
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Its the same for both LA teams--

Keep the cussing to a minimum, its not a real issues unless the drunks gets real loud. Or the game gets real bad then the chants get a lil off color, no one has been arrested for it.

Confetti and streamers are not only OK but supplied by the FO, the only requirement is DO NOT throw them at a player. If you hit a player with one you can expect to be removed.

No fireworks, smoke bombs poles. For obvious reasons. Poles were allowed up until this season, security stopped it for fear of someone going postal with them.The Legion (Chivas) group has/had a smoke machine that was "cleared" by security they don't bring it every game. this was the FO answer to smoke bombs.
    Banners can be hung and raised overhead pretty much at will. The Riot squad has a few banners in front of their sectiuon adn a giant jersey they raise when they score that covers a large percent of the section, The legion have a similar banner that covers the majority of the south end they riase 3-4 times a game.

The one thing thats seems to be working in both of their favors is they have a great relationship with the FO and have people inside trying to help them out all the time. They have storage at the facility and a "go to" contact person to address any issues.

After reading about NYRB and Section 8s issues we have it pretty good out here. I hope you guys get things working better in Colorado as I am moving out there next year.

25. HardHatMike

HardHatMike DOOOOOOOOM!

Traktor Nebraska
    Aug 31, 2005
    Lincoln, Nebraska
    Club:
    Columbus Crew
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Shoot me a PM next time your group comes down and I can set you up with the right people to make sure you can get them in next time.

HHM