Question concerning Thai, Indonesian and Malaysian football

Discussion in 'Asian Football Confederation' started by fscat, Sep 23, 2010.

1. fscat

fscat Member

May 2, 2005
    Chicago, IL
    If this question has been asked before, i apologize. Also, if anyone is offended for throwing these three different nations together, again I apologize, I thought it was better than having three different threads.

My question is concerning the respective professional leagues and national teams of these three nations.

All three of these nations have solid to strong economies, have good-sized populations (with Indonesia being very large), are football/soccer-mad, and have functional pro leagues, their national teams make little noise outside of their respective region in Asia (ASEAN I believe). Also, the clubs from these nations make little to no noise in the AFC Champions League.

Why is this? I would think with the reasons listed above, they would be more competitive in Asia, at least on the second tier of Asian nations, like Uzbekistan, Bahrain, etc. But you don't see this.

Also, why do their clubs make little noise in the AFC Champions Leagues?

Thanks to anyone who takes the time to answer these questions for me.

2. druryfire

druryfire Member

Sep 10, 2007
    England
    You might notice that they don't amke noise in the ACL because they don't ply in the ACL. Only one Indonesian team does at the moment.

Of course, this Asian Cup, no ASEAN member qualified, but the years before that ASEAN has had team's represented, so it's not like they have suddenly gone downhill.