Question about Saturn vehicles

Discussion in 'Technology' started by purojogo, Jun 29, 2005.

1. purojogo

purojogo Member

Sep 23, 2001
    US/Peru home
    Club:
    New York Red Bulls
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    looking for a used car.... I have heard from some people that this type of car absolutely blows..... While others point out that , depending on the year (something about GM effing it up) one can find very reliable ones...So which is it... and if you can provide details/experiences with such a car.... it'll be appreciated.....

Hope this is the right forum, and not too burdensome a question.... :)

2. Foosinho

Foosinho New Member

Jan 11, 1999
    New Albany, OH
    Club:
    Columbus Crew
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    My dad is on his third Saturn, so he must like 'em well enough. Personally, I only ever drove the first and third (the third is only about a year old now), and didn't have any major complaints. I mean, it's no Audi, but...

His 2nd Saturn was used, but I think he only had that one for 3 years or so before "trading up" to get his current (V6, bigger) car.

3. purojogo

purojogo Member

Sep 23, 2001
    US/Peru home
    Club:
    New York Red Bulls
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    what is it with old people and Saturns? ;)

To clarify further, it is an aunt (in her late 50's) who's looking for a car.... and having not much available funds for it..she was looking around and saw a 1994 Saturn SL car (says 'twin cam' on the back...don't know what the heck it's supposed to mean).... I could not tell her if it was a good deal or not -25 hundred bucks- because i got no clue.... Car looked allright though, and only 87K miles.....But i've heard some crap about it....

4. needs

needs Member

Jan 16, 2003
    Brooklyn
    [knocking on wood]
    My wife has a 99 Saturn SL2 and it's been pretty trouble free. It's got about 110k and still runs well.
    [/knocking on wood]

From what I've heard, they started to suck in the 2001 model year.

Edit: saw your post, my sister-in-law had an early 90s Saturn (GM family, we almost got disowned when we bought our Toyota) and the seats in that were the most god-awful uncomfortable things I've ever sat in. You couldn't sit in them for more than 1/2 hour.

5. mateo319

mateo319 Member

Jul 19, 2004
    Club:
    Columbus Crew
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    In my experience Saturns are good cars, reliable and safe. My father-in-law has a '94 that he loves and still drives. The models to stay away from are the 03 ION and the early model VUEs - pre - 02, I think. Any thing else should be ok. Go to http://www.saturnfans.com for a message board w/ more info if you want.

FWIW I own an 04 ION which I have been very happy with - I would not buy another after 06 b/c they are killing the space frame and gutting the brand. But I like my car very much and was not a Saturn fan prior to test driving it.

And I'm 27 . . . not sure what your definition of old is. :)