Question about Di Canio

Discussion in 'West Ham United' started by German Ham, Aug 26, 2006.

1. German Ham

German Ham New Member

Aug 24, 2006
    Hi, by the way. I'm an American from Pennsylvania. Admittedly, I'm only very recently starting to really get into soccer (football). It's hard to follow the game in America, so that's mostly why I haven't been a fan all my life. But watching friendlies recently, the World Cup, (German fan...hence the name) and now the Premiership on FSC is really quickly making me into a huge fan. And of all the Premiership teams, I really seemed to like West Ham the most, and I chose them to be a fan of.

But anyway, I have question about Paulo Di Canio. As great and controversial a player as he was, was he ever on Italy's national team? I've been looking at stats and reading about him lately, and I can't find any NT stats of him. Did Italy straight-up outlaw him to play because of the Fascist stuff?

2. claret50

claret50 Member

Oct 3, 2004
    Club:
    West Ham United FC
    Nat'l Team:
    England
    Hi and welcome, Paulo Di Canio was never capped as a full International for Italy, although he did make one appearance for the under 21's for his country.

3. Frieslander

Frieslander Member
    Staff Member

Feb 14, 2000
    North Jersey
    It's very difficult to play for Italy if you're not playing in Serie A. Di Canio wasn't playing in Italy during his prime. The fascist stuff didn't come out until he started playing for Lazio. When he was at West Ham we had no idea of his politics.

4. Parkhead_Faithful

Parkhead_Faithful New Member

Dec 19, 2001
    Glasgow,Scotland
    He never tried to hide his politics, it was mentioned in his autobiography released in 2001.

5. Frieslander

Frieslander Member
    Staff Member

Feb 14, 2000
    North Jersey
    I don't remember it being talked about. I'm not sure when I first heard about the "Dux" tattoo either.

maybe I was the only one who missed it.

6. Footstomper

Footstomper New Member

Oct 4, 2004
    Frederick MD
    Club:
    West Ham United FC
    Nat'l Team:
    England
    Well I missed it, and so apparently did Shaka Hislop who regarded him as his friend until he proclaimed his fascism after he returned to Italy