Question about club football in Russia

Discussion in 'Russia, Ukraine, Belarus, & the former Soviet Repu' started by Ross2006, Sep 13, 2010.

1. Ross2006

Ross2006 Member

May 15, 2006
    Ireland
    Club:
    Bohemians Dublin
    Nat'l Team:
    Ireland Republic
    What are the main differences between the supporters of the big clubs in Moscow ?

Is it mostly a geographic thing ? Or is there a political or class difference between the clubs ? Are any of the clubs considered left wing for example or do they all have a section of fans that are vocal and right wing ?

Do all of the bigger clubs in Russia have a vocal racist section (including Rubin Kazan etc) ? Or are any of the clubs relatively racist-free ?

I'm not suggesting all of the fans are racist - when I say a "racist section" I mean part of the supporters in the stadium who are racist and vocal about it

2. Real Corona

Real Corona Member+

Jan 19, 2008
    Colorado
    Club:
    FC Metalist Kharkiv
    Nat'l Team:
    United States

Most of the Moscow clubs have roots in some form of an organization from Soviet times. They were sort of supposed to be sports clubs for workers.

CSKA was the Army team
    Dinamo was the KGB/NKVD team
    Lokomotiv was a railway companies team (locomotive)
    Spartak is often called meat or myaso because they were originally a meat packing team. Also they are sometimes referred to as the people's team because they were the best Russian team in the USSR and beat the two government teams CSKA and Dinamo.

Now though none of that matters. It's just history.

3. Drake44444

Drake44444 Member

Jul 5, 2008
    Club:
    Fulham FC
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Zenit is unique as one city one team. Does have a racist section.

but Russia is a generally pretty racist country as a whole.

Kazan is actually a hockey city. If the hockey team is playing stadium can be empty even for big Champions league games. Fans I guess are Tatar.

I think the Moscow clubs are equally racist, as in a certain small percentage are racist unless their star player is black.

I don't think any young people in Russia are left wing. Just old grandma's. In fact, I think Russians have given up on politics, so I doubt the fans are political leaning. The politics are what they are, and right now they are putin.

4. FootyFan365

FootyFan365 Member

Jun 23, 2008
    Indy
    Club:
    FC Dnipro Dnipropetrovsk
    Nat'l Team:
    Ukraine
    Drake come on dude, Piter is kind of proud to be racist lol

5. Ross2006

Ross2006 Member

May 15, 2006
    Ireland
    Club:
    Bohemians Dublin
    Nat'l Team:
    Ireland Republic
    so what is the difference between the Moscow clubs today then - is it just a geographic thing ? none of them are perceived as being more right wing than the others ?

Kazan is interesting - champions in both sports. Where do Ak Bars and Rubin get their money from ? Do they have the same patron ? and is there any type of divide between the Russians and Tatars in Kazan regarding ice hockey and football (ie do Tatars prefer football and Russians hockey or vice versa ?)

do some of the Ossetian, Chechen and Tatar fans (Vladikavkaz, Terek etc) racially abuse black players aswell ?

6. Real Corona

Real Corona Member+

Jan 19, 2008
    Colorado
    Club:
    FC Metalist Kharkiv
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    AK Bars are owned by a local business/politician (there is no difference in Russia). I do remember that during the NHL lockout in 2004, they spent millions of dollars to create a super team to honor the 1000 year anniversary of the founding of Tatarstan.

7. Dimuha

Dimuha Member

Oct 18, 2007
    northpole Chicago
    Club:
    CSKA Moskva
    Nat'l Team:
    Russia
    There's no such things as political or any kind of differences in Russian football.

8. Real Corona

Real Corona Member+

Jan 19, 2008
    Colorado
    Club:
    FC Metalist Kharkiv
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    There is of course a regional rivalry, which is somewhat political. The clubs from outside Moscow, all sort hate the clubs from Moscow, or I should say the fans do.

9. Dimuha

Dimuha Member

Oct 18, 2007
    northpole Chicago
    Club:
    CSKA Moskva
    Nat'l Team:
    Russia
    Regional rivalries sure, but it ends at that. I mean, there are regional rivalries in English football too.

10. goliath74

goliath74 Member

May 24, 2006
    Hollywood, FL, United States
    Club:
    FC Dynamo Kyiv
    Nat'l Team:
    Ukraine
    As had been mentioned, Moscow clubs all have a rich past from the various Soviet-time multi-sport athletic societies that used to represent things they don't anymore. The only difference with the presented list is Spartak, they're not as much a meat packing team (although they did take their start as a team representing food industry unions and were called Pischeviki) they were a union team not limited to the food industry.

These days, supporters follow their fathers' clubs. There is no political, geographic, or racist association with the Moscow clubs. If a fan's father was a railroads worker, he pulled for Lokomotiv, and, today, so does his son. Other than that, I guess, people follow aesthetic preferences.

To make matters worse, in addition to the 4 Moscow clubs in RPL, there is another dozen in lower reaches of Russian football...

11. Dimuha

Dimuha Member

Oct 18, 2007
    northpole Chicago
    Club:
    CSKA Moskva
    Nat'l Team:
    Russia
    From personal experience I can say that old school Soviet footy fans are a different breed from the rest. Much more knowledgable about the game and less fanatical.

12. Dimuha

Dimuha Member

Oct 18, 2007
    northpole Chicago
    Club:
    CSKA Moskva
    Nat'l Team:
    Russia
    Spartak-Dinamo was probably the only true meaningful game in Soviet footy.

Moscow vs. Kiev
    Russia vs. Ukraine
    Technique vs. Power

13. FootyFan365

FootyFan365 Member

Jun 23, 2008
    Indy
    Club:
    FC Dnipro Dnipropetrovsk
    Nat'l Team:
    Ukraine
    technique v. power...lol yea Ponidelnik or whoever that dude you like to talk about is way more technical than Zavarov, Blokhin etc haha

14. Dimuha

Dimuha Member

Oct 18, 2007
    northpole Chicago
    Club:
    CSKA Moskva
    Nat'l Team:
    Russia
    The two teams played different types of football. Ponidelnik never played for Spartak.

15. FootyFan365

FootyFan365 Member

Jun 23, 2008
    Indy
    Club:
    FC Dnipro Dnipropetrovsk
    Nat'l Team:
    Ukraine
    That doesn't mean you categorize Dynamo as a 'power' team like their Rangers or something lol. Dynamo's players were better and had a better coach, the end

16. Dimuha

Dimuha Member

Oct 18, 2007
    northpole Chicago
    Club:
    CSKA Moskva
    Nat'l Team:
    Russia
    Whatever dude, I don't even care.

17. goliath74

goliath74 Member

May 24, 2006
    Club:
    FC Dynamo Kyiv
    Nat'l Team:
    Ukraine
    It is interesting, however, that Ponedelnik did retire as a Spartak Moskva player. However, he never played an official match for them.

18. FootyFan365

FootyFan365 Member

Jun 23, 2008
    Indy
    Club:
    FC Dnipro Dnipropetrovsk
    Nat'l Team:
    Ukraine
  19. Tsarevich

Tsarevich New Member

Aug 24, 2007
    York, England
    Club:
    --other--
    Nat'l Team:
    Ukraine
    Poor old Dynamo!

:)

20. goliath74

goliath74 Member

May 24, 2006
    Club:
    FC Dynamo Kyiv
    Nat'l Team:
    Ukraine
    Truthfully, Zenit weren't the only club in Piter for most of the history of Soviet football.

21. yasik19

yasik19 Moderator
    Staff Member

Chelsea
    Ukraine
    Oct 21, 2004
    Daly City
    Chernomorets is the bestest club ever.

22. Rusich

Rusich New Member

Apr 17, 2010
    Club:
    Spartak Moskva
    I'll try to explain the situation as I can. 99% of all Russian ultra hold right-wing views. By the way, most of them are very good boys and girls, of course, they want to play more Russian players. But if the African, Asian or Brazilian plays well, his support too.
    Kazan is populated by Russian and Tatar 50 \ 50. But Rubin's ultras are also right.
    Where there is a right there must be leftist, you ask? But in Russia everything is more complicated. Of ideological rivals Russian Ultras are 4 clubs from the Caucasus: Terek (Chechen), Anji (Dagestan), Nalchik (Kabardian) and Alanya (Ossetians). Formally, they are apolitical, but they really are right (Caucasian nationalists) and hate Russian. They can be called followers of the Turkish style.

23. Ross2006

Ross2006 Member

May 15, 2006
    Ireland
    Club:
    Bohemians Dublin
    Nat'l Team:
    Ireland Republic
    interesting, thanks

what do you mean by "the Turkish style" ?

so Anzhi, Alania, Nalchik and Terek are mostly supported by non-Russians but Rubin have both Tatar and Russian fans - is that correct ?

24. Rusich

Rusich New Member

Apr 17, 2010
    Club:
    Spartak Moskva
    The Turkish style is rock falls in the stadiums and around, a great Number of people with arms. The attack on referees and other delights of the eastern hospitality.:D For any fan of Russian trip to the Caucasus - a trip to the war. You can not be sure that you come back safe and sound. I'm not going to scare you stories 5-10 years old, give 2 examples from 2010.
    Anji Fans threw stones at the guest sector CSKA during the match. After the game, they attacked the bus with the players of CSKA, broke several windows. The atmosphere at the stadium in Makhachkala
    http://www.cskaultras.ru/index.php?section=news&parent_id=6&n=0&id=908
    In Nalchik, was attacked on a bus Rostov Ultras. One man was taken to intensive care. The fans had to travel 600 kilometers from Nalchik to Rostov with no windows.
    [​IMG]
    Tatars are integrated into the Russian community, more than 450 years they lived together with Russian, a lot of mixed marriages. Kazan most tolerant city in Russia, there are no disagreements all cheer for Rubin, Ak Bars, UNICS and other sports clubs.

25. Dimuha

Dimuha Member

Oct 18, 2007
    northpole Chicago
    Club:
    CSKA Moskva
    Nat'l Team:
    Russia
    Don't you mean Chuvash ? Chuvash are almost indistinguishable from ethnic Russians, Tatars have held on to their identity more so.