Question about Adu's MNT availability to DC Fans

Discussion in 'D.C. United' started by Ronaldo's Idol, Feb 13, 2006.

1. Ronaldo's Idol

Jun 13, 2004
    I'm wondering if anyone has any information on whether Adu has been called back to the MNT for this weekend's Guatemala game.

I know he played with DC for the first half vs. the U17 MNT. And I know DC scrimmage NY/NJ tomorrow, so possibly Adu will play tomorrow and then go back to the MNT camp just for the Guatemala game, and then return to DC.

The reason I ask is that, for those of you who have been following the MNT the past week, you'll know that the team is down to bare bones in camp with injuries, and the fact that all of the Galaxy and Revs players are going to be with their club teams this weekend and won't be available. So basically there are hardly any players at all in camp who can play this weekend, and there isn't a single attacking midfielder (Martino is injured, and everyone else is gone).

So it seems reasonable Adu may get called back in by Arena just for this game, and then sent back to DC for the rest of preseason.

Anyone know if this will happen, or conversely, is he definitely remaining with DC throughout the weekend?

2. ursula

ursula Member

Feb 21, 1999
    Republic of Cascadia
    1) There has been no word of Adu being called up.

2) Remember the Scotland game last year featured Kerry Zavagnin at a-mid. Very possibly Arena won't call up any a-mid type.

3. pwip

pwip Member

Jul 10, 2004
    Dallas
    What is DCU's upcoming schedule this weekend?

4. Ronaldo's Idol

Jun 13, 2004

Scrimmage Friday. That's it until the next weekend (though of course there will be training in between).

5. tab5g

tab5g Member+

May 17, 2002
    not a definite answer, but Goff writes at the bottom of http://www.washingtonpost.com/wp-dyn/content/article/2006/02/13/AR2006021301547.html:
    ----
    Meantime, Brian Carroll, Ben Olsen , Santino Quaranta and Bobby Boswell have been retained by U.S. Coach Bruce Arena at national team camp for Sunday's friendly against Guatemala in Frisco, Tex.
    ----

not to say things can't change, but currently this reads that Arena has not called in Adu for the 2/19 match.

having a young player bounce back and forth between club and NT training is no way to help that player earn a starting spot with his club, and if Bruce were to call in Adu for this weekend it would be going against his own advice on how to best help that player develop at this point.

6. uniteo

uniteo Member+

Sep 2, 2000
    Rockville, MD
    Club:
    DC United
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    us soccer has released the game roster without Adu on it...

Kyle Martino looks to be the likely starter at A-mid, Santino would also be a good choice for the spot if you ask me

7. Real Mobile

Real Mobile Member

Sep 10, 2004
    Fixed your post. :D