Quest Field Attendance

Discussion in 'USA Men: News & Analysis' started by lufty, Jul 8, 2005.

1. lufty

lufty Member

Aug 21, 2000
    What was it last night?

2. Stupid_American

Stupid_American Member+

Jan 8, 2003
    New York, NY
    Club:
    Columbus Crew
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
  3. sounderfan

sounderfan New Member

Apr 6, 2003
    I was NOT there. SUM can kiss my *ss!
    (Long story, but basically, SUM, "Soccer United Marketing," an arm of MLS, kicked the Sounders out of Qwest Field for tonight's derby match with Portland. So why would I support their money-grabbing attempts in my own town when they spit on my own team?) The Seattle-Portland match July 8 was scheduled for Qwest Field until SUM filed a "complaint" that the pitch would get torn up. While CONCACAF had already OK'd the match being played at Qwest, SUM had other ideas...

SUM spits on Sounders threads:
    http://soundercentral.com/modules.php?name=Forums&file=viewtopic&t=2664
    http://soundercentral.com/modules.php?name=Forums&file=viewtopic&t=2656
    http://www.usldiscussions.com/ubb/ultimatebb.php?ubb=get_topic;f=2;t=003154;p=2

Pathetic Seattle "crowd" story...

[​IMG]

Commentary:
    http://seattletimes.nwsource.com/html/sports/2002368142_judd08.html

4. Scoey

Scoey Member

Oct 1, 1999
    Portland
    I was there. The announced attendance was apparently 15,000 or so. Didn't seem like that many to me. Dissappointing number. Tepid atmosphere. So it goes. Hopefully there will be more tomorrow.

5. Simon Birch

Simon Birch New Member

Aug 4, 2003
    With McOwen's Monkey
    You're right, SUM should have bent over backwards for an A-League team when the region's "jewel" tournament is taking place.....MLS teams put up with this stuff all the time. This isn't hating on my part, but seriously, think outside you're little Seattle box.

6. sounderfan

sounderfan New Member

Apr 6, 2003
    I see the big picture. Apparently so do most Seattle soccer fans: the Gold Cup is not a big deal. Look at the line-up Arena started.

However, I also understand that standing by my club is important.

I am in no "box," as you say. The Sounders are a tennant at the stadium. They issued their schedule months before the Gold Cup was announced. The switch was "forced" on the Sounders exactly TWO WEEKS AGO. By a group of people who run in MLS circles...You know MLS? That league that keeps dropping the NAME of SEATTLE as a top expansion city? It was a chance for the Sounders to be part of a "Seattle soccer weekend celebration." Instead, we are now 12 miles South in Tukwila, WA.

BTW, we play in the USL-1. The A-League is no more.

Tonight's Seattle-Portland match will be on Fox Soccer Channel nation-wide at 8 PM PST if anyone would like to tune in and see 2,000-seat Starfire Soccer Complex Stadium.

7. denver_mugwamp

denver_mugwamp New Member

Feb 9, 2003
    Denver, Colorado
    Um, MLS doesn't "keep dropping Seattle". The problem is that your investors never seem to show up. There's probably dozens of Microsoft millionaires in Seattle and not one of them feels compelled to reach in back pocket for his wallet. I wonder why that is?

8. sounderfan

sounderfan New Member

Apr 6, 2003
    A 30 year old rivalry. A chance to see these guys in action on the road:
    http://wweek.com/story.php?story=6493

How old is the MLS, again? ;) 10? How quaint. :D

9. sounderfan

sounderfan New Member

Apr 6, 2003

I meant "dropping our NAME" as an expansion city. Not dropping us. Lord only knows when that will *finally* happen. (Fixed).

PS: Portland for MLS, NOW!:D

10. SC71

SC71 Member

May 30, 2004
    South Carolina
    Club:
    Charleston
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    15,000 for the men's national team is pathetic ... very disappointing to see that the team received no more support than that ... it certainly explains why no major network televises the games to the rest of us.

11. sounderfan

sounderfan New Member

Apr 6, 2003
    Based on your comments, I'd imagine you've been around for AT LEAST half of those years... :p

How about BURNT Sienna?

Seriously, though...division 2 soccer in the states has some great rivalries going, and is fun to follow.

12. metroflip73

metroflip73 Member

Mar 3, 2000
    NYC
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    I totally forgot that a 2nd division team is that important to American soccer.

Forgive us for failing to see your POV.

13. Onionsack

Onionsack BigSoccer Yellow Card

Jul 21, 2003
    New York City
    Club:
    FC Girondins de Bordeaux
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    To be quite honest if i was still living in Seattle i would have skiped last nights match too and saved my dough for Saturady against Canada. I think around 25K-30K or so will show for that. Vancouver is only 2 hours away, its a weekend game and its the more attractive match up for the casual fan out of the 3.

15K on a thursday night aganst Cuba isn't bad.

14. sounderfan

sounderfan New Member

Apr 6, 2003
    It's important to *a few* people following soccer in Seattle.

I stand by my team.

Surely a Metros fan knows what THAT can be like? ;)

15. dark knight

dark knight Super Moderator
    Staff Member

Dec 15, 1999
    Club:
    Leeds United FC
    All - please drop the MLS v A-League v SUM. This forum is for US Soccer fans, so we're not likely to be all that sympathetic here. I think we would all like our regions tournament to be a bigger deal.

16. Scoey

Scoey Member

Oct 1, 1999
    Portland
    Today I bought tickets for Saturday's game. Selection wasn't as good, so it appears we can expect more fans tomorrow.

17. Delsocfan

Delsocfan New Member

Oct 23, 2004
    Wilmington, DE
    Club:
    Philadelphia Union
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    I agree with all those who say that the attendance wasn't that bad considering it was Thursday night against Cuba right before a Saturday game. Wouldn't it have made more sense to have split the US games amongst 3 cities (Could have played last nights game in Portland)?

18. Rocket

Rocket Member

Aug 29, 1999
    Chicago
    Club:
    Everton FC
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Has US Soccer/CONCACAF ever considered they may be setting prices too high?

$65 is quite a bit to spend to watch the USA "B" team play in a tournament that means little.

19. DrBobC

DrBobC Member

Feb 28, 2004
    Burton upon Trent
    Club:
    Chicago Fire
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    only a metros fan would be happy with 15k.

20. metroflip73

metroflip73 Member

Mar 3, 2000
    NYC
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Sure.

But this is the USA playing. End of.

21. Flyin Ryan

Flyin Ryan Member

May 13, 2004
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    ^^ Everyone outside the Galaxy in MLS would be happy with 15k. How's the Fire drawing this year?

22. Onionsack

Onionsack BigSoccer Yellow Card

Jul 21, 2003
    New York City
    Club:
    FC Girondins de Bordeaux
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Says the Fire fan that hasn't had a home attendance over 10K in weeks. :cool:

23. DrBobC

DrBobC Member

Feb 28, 2004
    Burton upon Trent
    Club:
    Chicago Fire
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    it's a function of a metros reject named Guppy.