Quarterly Quarrel - The Financial Discussion Part 5

Discussion in 'Manchester United' started by Ruud v.Nistelrooy 10, Mar 11, 2014.

1. United 16

United 16 Member+

Manchester United
    Mar 25, 2016
    Club:
    Manchester United FC
    jnielsen repped this.
  2. Sofabloke

Sofabloke Member+

Dec 24, 2003
    Mu
    Club:
    Manchester United FC
    Anonymous_United, topnoevili and SF19 repped this.
  3. United 16

United 16 Member+

Manchester United
    Mar 25, 2016
    Club:
    Manchester United FC

SF19 repped this.
  4. Sofabloke

Sofabloke Member+

Dec 24, 2003
    Mu
    Club:
    Manchester United FC
    Putting here because was mostly about ownership and management. Kinda funny confrontation too :)

5. Ruud v.Nistelrooy 10

Staff Member

Jamaica
    Jun 4, 2006
    Antilla
    Club:
    Manchester United FC
    Nat'l Team:
    Jamaica
    this is just one of those cases where neither of them are wrong. United's issues cannot be simplified down to one single thing

topnoevili, JC7rox and Sofabloke repped this.
  6. SF19

SF19 Member+

Jun 8, 2013

Formal bid is not ready, but there is a consortium that is 100% British, backed by 3 billionaires. Money is needed to fix stadium and team, so they still need investors beyond simply meeting a plausible price.

7. Ruud v.Nistelrooy 10

Staff Member

Jamaica
    Jun 4, 2006
    Antilla
    Club:
    Manchester United FC
    Nat'l Team:
    Jamaica
    not even moved by these things anymore.

as i've said over the years the club is valued around £4b and it will likely take £5b for the Glazer parasites to leave if not more.

the odds of any group having that are remote and even more remote they want to spend it on this mess. even if they borrow to make up for what they don't have the Glazers still need to want sell anyway.

a better bet is probably to assassinate the Glazers to be rid of them or something of that dark nature to force them out

jnielsen and jmartin1966 repped this.
  8. SF19

SF19 Member+

Jun 8, 2013
    It looks real to me. I think if Sir Jim Ratcliffe jumps on board, they can make a real offer and if things are as bad on the pitch as they were against Brentford, and fans really make an effort to protest, something could give.

BTW, at around the 8:20 minute mark, he gets into more details of Knighton's attempt to buy United in '89, how it was legitimate, and how was not reliant on the businessmen he partnered. Robert Maxwell lead the effort to discredit him.

The book he mentions is Visionary by Phillip Vine. The Guardian has an article on the book that gets into a few other details: https://www.theguardian.com/footbal...ton-manchester-united-keepie-uppies-interview

9. CybrSlydr

CybrSlydr Member+

Columbus Crew
    United States
    Jun 30, 2013
    Casper, WY
    Club:
    Columbus Crew
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Goldbridge says he thinks the best case scenario is that Knighton and his consortium get the funds together to buy United to get the Glazers out and then sell to someone who can spend the money to get the club back to where it needs to be. Knighton has stated that even if the Glazers do sell to them, they don't have the money to spend on the stadium, players, etc.

He's merely a means to get the club out of the Glazers hands so they can sell to someone who will be a better caretaker of the club and it's history.

10. JamesA

JamesA Member+

Dec 7, 2004
    Victoria
    Club:
    Manchester United FC
    Personally, I don't think the Glazers would sell unless the club was in significant financial decline or, the offer was obscene.

jnielsen, Serengeti_Boy and JC7rox repped this.
  11. JC7rox

JC7rox Member+

Manchester United FC, LAFC
    Jun 11, 2004
    West Coast, Cali!
    Club:
    Manchester United FC
    So they want to flip the club? What about shareholders and all that. How does that work?

12. Ruud v.Nistelrooy 10

Staff Member

Jamaica
    Jun 4, 2006
    Antilla
    Club:
    Manchester United FC
    Nat'l Team:
    Jamaica
    i watched the video. i heard all that 1989 stuff. nothing in there screams anything too serious or convincing to me.

i still don't understand why you're hung up on the fans and protesting when again, in almost two decades it's done nothing of note. on the pitch results are irrelevant as long as the asset stripping can continue unhindered.

one of the red flags for me was why this guy is calling for fans support to make this happen. the kind of people that have that kind of money didn't accrue it and certainly don't spend that kind of money based on fan support, negative stories or how well protests are going. they'd just go spend it if that was really their goal.

i don't have a reason to doubt this guy is sincere, and while he appears composed, calm and speaks quite well this still seems emotionally based more than anything. the fans can't force anything unless they resort to what i mentioned earlier.

if he had said "you the fans have a big part to play by boycotting all United based spending. all fans with refund eligible merch please return to the megastore/adidas and refrain from buying anything else". i'd have been more inclined to believe it was serious.

this vague peaceful protest stuff isn't really saying anything and isn't going anywhere. it will be no different than the folks picketing outside Monsanto offices. Monsanto cares not because it doesn't have an effect on their cash flow. likewise the Glazers.

it's also weird he apologised for exposing their bid early? for a supposedly experienced media guy that's...odd

13. SF19

SF19 Member+

Jun 8, 2013
    I think after the ESL debacle (something the Glazers had pinned their hopes on) and if things on the pitch continue to show decline, it's possible. They're old guys, they have a success NFL franchise, what do they need Man U for? A few million a year? At some point it might not be worth the trouble and a figure of around 5 billion GBP might get them thinking.

Ratcliffe made a late bid for Chelsea and it was more than Boehly paid. He's from Manchester. He is a United supporter. He's not part of the consortium, yet anyways. If he gets involved, and he might if he thinks there's an opportunity, the Glazers might sell.

https://www.football.london/chelsea-fc/news/jim-ratcliffe-arsenal-chelsea-tottenham-24748210

14. Chaz Striker

Chaz Striker Member+

Jul 26, 2005
    Denver
    You’re very naive.

Serengeti_Boy repped this.
  15. SF19

SF19 Member+

Jun 8, 2013
    What's naive? That Ratcliffe might get on board to buy the club? He put a bid in for Chelsea right at the 12th hour. It was too late by then.

There is a real consortium backed by 3 billionaires. It's not made up, but they don't have enough right now to even place a bid. Everything depends on whether Ratcliffe would like to join or not.

If fans express enough displeasure with the Glazers, you think they really want to keep hold of the club? They might entertain an offer if it's large enough.

16. Ruud v.Nistelrooy 10

Staff Member

Jamaica
    Jun 4, 2006
    Antilla
    Club:
    Manchester United FC
    Nat'l Team:
    Jamaica
    well then his chelsea bid should tell you he doesn't want any part of this United bid shouldn't it?

you keep talking about fans and their opinion like it matters. why? or better yet why do you believe the Glazers care about that?

CybrSlydr repped this.
  17. Father Ted

Father Ted BigSoccer Supporter

Manchester United, Galway United, New York Red Bulls
    Nov 2, 2001
    Connecticut
    Club:
    Manchester United FC
    Nat'l Team:
    Ireland Republic
    The only way for fans to have an impact is on revenue e.g. stop going to games and buying merchandise. But that will never happen. Everything else is futile.

jnielsen and CybrSlydr repped this.
  18. Sofabloke

Sofabloke Member+

Dec 24, 2003
    Mu
    Club:
    Manchester United FC
    If the manager saying stuff like this didnt make any difference then nothing much the fans can do.

That said, the negativity around the club and the toxicity from the fan will keep rich sponsors away. If we continue to miss top four for a few seasons, then at some point it will be hard for the Glazers to take full dividends if the profits arent sufficient (the loan covenants with the banks force the Glazers to keep us in profit).

So will take a few more years of top four failure and at that point they may be forced to cash out and sell if the piggy bank runs dry.

19. Ruud v.Nistelrooy 10

Staff Member

Jamaica
    Jun 4, 2006
    Antilla
    Club:
    Manchester United FC
    Nat'l Team:
    Jamaica
    i'd bet they'd start selling players or Old Trafford naming rights or some other club assets to maintain their dividends. future revenue streams even.

absolutely wouldn't put it past them

jnielsen repped this.
  20. Sofabloke

Sofabloke Member+

Dec 24, 2003
    Mu
    Club:
    Manchester United FC
    Early days I know but think we lose 30% of Adidas contract revenue if we go two consecutive seasons without CL football.

Is why they usually spend bigger in windows after we fail to qualify. So this seasons weak window after lots of player exits is a little odd.

Suggests maybe failure to execute a factor too.

21. jmartin1966

jmartin1966 Member+

Jun 13, 2004
    Chicago
    What have the Glazers done that makes you think they give a shit about what the fans think?

CybrSlydr repped this.
  22. SF19

SF19 Member+

Jun 8, 2013
    Nothing, but it doesn't mean they will always ignore the fans. It's hard to predict how things will develop, but there is a possibility the Glazers may consider a sale if the club remains in disarray, the fans protest, and there is a real hostile bid on the table worth their while.

You're all welcome to dismiss the idea, but I don't think it's completely impossible, however unlikely.

23. CybrSlydr

CybrSlydr Member+

Columbus Crew
    United States
    Jun 30, 2013
    Casper, WY
    Club:
    Columbus Crew
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    The club has been in disarray since SAF retired...

Ruud v.Nistelrooy 10 repped this.
  24. SF19

SF19 Member+

Jun 8, 2013
    Let's see what happens over the next week or so.

25. Ruud v.Nistelrooy 10

Staff Member

Jamaica
    Jun 4, 2006
    Antilla
    Club:
    Manchester United FC
    Nat'l Team:
    Jamaica
    well if anyone was looking for hope, based on what you've said and the video shared i'd definitely agree on unlikely.

basically the video tells us the guy claiming United is valued at £1.75b versus Forbes valuation of closer to £4b and asking for fans to support a protest that he leaves zero details about but leaves details for subscription to his channel (lol)

and if i reword what you've said it is basically that this Knighton guy has assembled a consortium that can't afford to buy or maintain United and is wholly dependent on another guy joining in who'd rather invest in chelsea - a club inferior to United in every way as an investment.

all that aside, if i was an entity with £5b+ available to use i highly doubt that a football club is the best investment anyway

topnoevili repped this.