Quarterfinals

Discussion in '2016 Olympic Women's Soccer Tournament' started by Cliveworshipper, Jul 31, 2012.

1. Morris20

Morris20 Member

Jul 4, 2000
    Upper 90 of nowhere
    Club:
    Washington Freedom
    Hmm . . . the US goes 3-0 and gets the Ferns and the tougher half of the draw.

2. BostonRed

BostonRed Member+

Oct 9, 2011
    Somerville, MA
    Club:
    New England Revolution
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    So the left-hand bracket is a modified version of the Commonwealth Games? Perhaps the Anglophone Games.

3. cloak

cloak Member

Aug 25, 2010
    Club:
    Toronto FC
    Nat'l Team:
    Canada
    "A record-breaking crowd at Wembley have been left thrilled this evening after Team GB's women footballers beat the tournament favourites Brazil." -Daily Mail UK

Brazil is a great side, but talk about shameless propaganda. i don't believe it's possible to be that unknowingly ignorant of USWNT.

4. Greg_G

Greg_G Member

Jun 8, 2012
    Club:
    Arsenal FC
    I've heard other outlets refer to Brazil as the tourney favorites also. It's no coincidence that those outlets seem fairly oblivious to women's soccer in general. At best Brazil is third, and you could make an argument for fourth or fifth, favorite to win this tournament. Especially after failing to score against Great Britain.

5. Greg_G

Greg_G Member

Jun 8, 2012
    Club:
    Arsenal FC
    The four teams on the opposite half of the draw are all ranked higher than NZ, GB, and Canada (3 WWC semifinalists and the team that took us to the limit, at that) . The US's half of the draw is infinitely more winnable than the other side.

6. cloak

cloak Member

Aug 25, 2010
    Club:
    Toronto FC
    Nat'l Team:
    Canada
    if an honest blunder, their green, pre-article thought processes must've been something like: brazil women = brazil men.

7. Morris20

Morris20 Member

Jul 4, 2000
    Upper 90 of nowhere
    Club:
    Washington Freedom
    After watching Japan draw with SA and Brazil's play under their current coach, I think you were right if it's 2009. Not so much today.

8. newsouth

newsouth Member

Nov 20, 2010
    Club:
    Santos FC
    Nat'l Team:
    Brazil
    :ROFLMAO:

USA has a draw made in heaven. NZ will hustle again, but doesn't the forwards and just has Riley to handle Morgan's runs for about 70 mins again, but once the USA makes late subs that game will be over.

GB beats Canada because they will wilt as usual.

GB vs USA - You need wheels in the attack against the USA or a structured take away/hold game like Japan, and GB doesn't have them. Plus Kelly just can't run anymore. Once the USA silences her on the pitch, that game is over.

NZ, GB or Canada would be lucky to win a qtr game in the other draw, let alone actually win that group. Lets be real. Thais and Cristie missed point blank shots. That game probably should have been 1:1. Brasil isn't really that good now, but the engine works different when Formiga is shooting the thru balls to Marta and company but Jorge decided to protect her yellow. it probably was good, given they picked up about 3 more in that GB game but her's will drop.

Nice bumping up the USA like they have a hard road to glory. They don't need a structured game to get thru that draw, just let Morgan and Sydney run and Abby run over someone, and the goals will come like tidal waves.

USA has the hard draw. I'm dying! :ROFLMAO:

9. Area 51

Area 51 Member+

Sep 5, 2009
    Club:
    Manchester United FC
    I've been looking at Canada's recent history trying to refute and take offense to the comment that Canada always wilts...but bar 2003....its true:(

Sinclair deserves better, if she was on USA with their supporting cast unlike Canada, she'd be viewed as best in the world imho.

10. newsouth

newsouth Member

Nov 20, 2010
    Club:
    Santos FC
    Nat'l Team:
    Brazil
    i have nothing against those 3 teams but they don't have the starting 11 ATHLETES to deal with the USA over 90 mins and i've seen nothing that tells me any of them can hold the ball on their feet in the mid-field, burn clock, make the USA chase and look for a counter. Ok, canada and new zealand had some close friendly matches with them, which is nothing but the USA's front-liners picking up their nice guaranteed pay checks. this thing is for all the marbles forgot about the bench, given your front-liners have to compete. Those 3 would get rocked by France and Japan. GB can compete with Brasil and Sweden because of the Home Field Effect, which we saw yesterday. Riley gives NZ the ability to take away an opponents best forward for periods in a game, as she showed in the friendly robbery at the hands of the USA. To me that's just bits and pieces, nothing complete about those 3.

Sinclair might be good for one goal if you can get her opposite field of Rampone, isolated on one of the other defenders. Too bad Sydney didn't play for her REAL country. :ROFLMAO:

11. Area 51

Area 51 Member+

Sep 5, 2009
    Club:
    Manchester United FC
    Leroux? Ya, she thinks it was the best decision to her overall career I guess

Also, Kara Lang was a top top top female player, its a shame injuries cut her career really really short.

12. newsouth

newsouth Member

Nov 20, 2010
    Club:
    Santos FC
    Nat'l Team:
    Brazil
    Think about it. Sydney with as many caps (she'd get them on Canada's team vs playing Morgan's sub) under her belt as Morgan, running next to Sinclair. That gives Canada a world class duo. Right now, they have a lone striker when they play the big girls.

13. Area 51

Area 51 Member+

Sep 5, 2009
    Club:
    Manchester United FC
    I know, hence why I said with her and Kara Lang not succumbing to career ending injuries, Canada would have a dynamic frontline...now without Kara and even Timko pretty much finished, Sinclair has to be a playmaker since no one else can do it, and as a result she doesnt get into dangerous positions as much and play her proper role.

Tancredi is performing well, but shes more of a smash and grab type forward who relies on her work ethic and strength more than skill.

Filigno is talented and quick, but inexperienced.

14. Morris20

Morris20 Member

Jul 4, 2000
    Upper 90 of nowhere
    Club:
    Washington Freedom
    I guess GB was pretty lucky, given the whole "THEY DID WIN THE GROUP" thing. GB was the better team on the day, and there's no particular reason to think Brazil is going to suddenly improve (until they try an actual coach). I mean, how bad are you when you're clearly out-coached by HOPE POWELL????? She's saying "maybe Gareth Bale is the male Steph Houghton" - when she's clearly the female Steve Kean - BUT SHE TOOK BRAZIL to the cleaners. And you're saying THAT makes Japan's draw tougher? Or is the existence of a French team that was comprehensively dismantled about a week ago by the US? Or the Swedes with their history of knockout round success . . .

15. kool-aide

kool-aide Member+

Feb 1, 2002
    a van by the river
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Charmain Cooper. Just an amazing will and fight in her (not to mention a darn good soccer player). What's she doing now?

The current Brazil coach is a real coach, Morris20, but it is clear he underestimated the GB team--and given Powell's coaching history and tendencies, you can't be totally surprised at that. I think he felt he'd be ok resting players and get a draw at worst.

GB seems to really be getting a lift from the home crowds. That game was one of the more complete performances by them that we've seen. Little is a difference maker and Houghton is having a stellar tournament so far (hope I haven't just jinxed them). And the Brazilian fed still gives women's soccer embarrassingly little support.

As a US fan, if we do manage to advance to the semis, I'm not exactly looking forward to playing the home nation in front of >75k. They've beaten us recently.

usa3por2ft repped this.
  16. newsouth

newsouth Member

Nov 20, 2010
    Club:
    Santos FC
    Nat'l Team:
    Brazil
    I love this board. GB hasnt done anything in this life. Now, they have homefield, which is bonus for any team in any sport, in this tournament and are making the best of it with what they have. it also doesn't hurt the olympics give the home team a nice draw and help, and formiga was riding a nice little yellow card. wow, they are so great now that they would walk thru Japan and France back - back games since Canada is now a world power and the most difficult match of the qtrs:rolleyes: . You better not sneeze if Sinclair gets a hot foot, because GB's offense is pretty much good for one goal, ONLY.

i already said brasil just wrote their ticket home with that game, but with the cards being handed out and formiga willingness to play contact to draw a foul, i would have left the mid-field to esther:rolleyes: and maurine:rolleyes:, but it's not like they were in an elimination game, as we saw japan tank a game yesterday. but based on this board, the ladies dont tank games. amazing how japan played based on the knowledge from another game's score. at least, if they win on th 3rd, they dont have to deal with the usa til the finals. i bet france or japan isn't complaining either.

17. TittleTums

TittleTums Member

Feb 23, 2009
    Club:
    West Ham United FC
    Personally, I like the Great Britain draw for Canada a heck of a lot more than a France or USA. I think someone is making some quick assuming that Canada can't beat GB, because they are a very beatable team for Canada. They controlled most of the Sweden game and hopefully brain fart Erin sits out and Leblanc gets the start.This is a great success for them that they avoid the Americans.

Sinclair arguably hasn't even been Canada's best player in this tournament.

Is it necessary to continuously harp on Canada's lack of Leroux? Whatever, she's gone. Hopefully, another player of her ilk comes along who actually wants to play for her country.

kolabear repped this.
  18. kool-aide

kool-aide Member+

Feb 1, 2002
    a van by the river
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    I do find it a bit rich that some Canadian fans rip Leroux for deciding to play for the USA as a teen given that other Canadian players have US citizenship. And Sessleman decided as an adult (26/7) to get a Canadian passport and play for BigRed. I don't begrudge Sessleman her choice. I say best of luck.

Morris20 repped this.
  19. TittleTums

TittleTums Member

Feb 23, 2009
    Club:
    West Ham United FC
    The argument could be made that Sesselman was never part going to be a part of the USWNT, so there wasn't much of a loss for them. She was never in their plans. However, this is common territory for Canadian soccer fans having their stars spurning their home country and playing elsewhere. You have to kinda understand why fans were upset?

Leroux leaving is the American equivalent of Alex Morgan deciding to suit up for Japan. It was a devastating loss for the program, especially because there is no heir apparent for Christine Sinclair. Leroux would have been a natural fit. Even the great Charmaine Hooper had a heir apparent, her name was Christine Sinclair. I don't know if we ever find a true heir apparent for Sinclair, she's a once in a generation talent.

But yeah, I agree, no one should hate Leroux, she did nothing illegal. I certainly understand why she would made that choice and I am sure there other players on Canada and around the world, who if given the opportunity to play elsewhere, might have chosen utilized that to their advantage like Leroux.

And I consider Leroux to be a Canadian, she even considers herself off record to be a Canadian. Much like Sesselman is an American.

cloak repped this.
  20. usa3por2ft

usa3por2ft Member

Oct 15, 2002
    in exile
    Club:
    Millwall FC
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    this++.

It was pretty clear that Jorge Barcellos was more concerned with resting players than getting the result. That said, the perennially underrated Powell had a smart plan for this game which protected the slow British center halves from Brazil's speed.

They had several months of camp this year, but mostly without a key half dozen or so players with overseas club commitments.

21. kool-aide

kool-aide Member+

Feb 1, 2002
    a van by the river
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Anita Asante was really solid. Just really solid. She's a nice player.

As for Hooper. Man. I remember some UNC vs NCSU games back in the day...

22. usa3por2ft

usa3por2ft Member

Oct 15, 2002
    in exile
    Club:
    Millwall FC
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    So true. Diminutive stature notwithstanding, Desiree Scott has been massive for them.

23. kool-aide

kool-aide Member+

Feb 1, 2002
    a van by the river
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Scott has been a revelation for me. I mean, I've seen her some before and thought she was solid enough. But for whatever reason she caught my eye more this tournament.

24. Morris20

Morris20 Member

Jul 4, 2000
    Upper 90 of nowhere
    Club:
    Washington Freedom
    You don't see "Hope Powell" and "smart plan" in the same sentence too often . . . She's anything but "underrated."

guignol repped this.