Quarterfinal Opponent? (R Implied)

Discussion in 'USA Men: News & Analysis' started by Rahbiefowlah, Jul 12, 2005.

1. Fires Of Fulham

Fires Of Fulham New Member

Mar 30, 2005
    Chicago, USA
    We can't face them in the semis. There's no reseeding and Mexico is in Q3. The winner of Q3 plays the winner of Q4 which is South Africa and Panama.

Meanwhile we're in Q2 and play the winner of Honduras and Costa Rica in the semis (provided we beat Jamaica).

It's actually turned out to be an interesting set of quarters. In one side of the bracket you've got two teams who missed the hexagonal playing the powers one last time for respect (ironically the powers that finished at the head of their pools in WCQ).

In the other you've got the two invitees playing two hexagonal teams.

Surprised no one's called FIX yet. :D

2. scaryice

scaryice Member

Jan 25, 2001
    Omar Daley will be suspended for Jamaica, and Frankie Hejduk for the USA.

Here's what the final will look like:

Honduras/Costa Rica/USA/Jamaica

vs

Mexico/Colombia/Panama/South Africa

3. jq pepe

jq pepe New Member

Jun 3, 2005
    los angeles
    Club:
    CDSC Cruz Azul
    Nat'l Team:
    Mexico
    it would be nice for the USNT to wear NFL style uniforms, the jamaicans were rough against Mexico (one redcarded) and sure will go rough against the US, good luck guys,things were back to "normal" and we may see a US-Mexico final

4. Elninho

Elninho Member+

Sacramento Republic FC
    United States
    Oct 30, 2000
    Sacramento, CA
    Club:
    Los Angeles Galaxy
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    So, we have an extra day of rest, and Jamaica has to travel from Houston while we're already in the Boston area. And it's Jamaica. We should have every advantage in this match.

BTW, assuming we beat Jamaica, in the semifinal we're going to face the winner of Honduras vs. Costa Rica.

5. Elninho

Elninho Member+

Sacramento Republic FC
    United States
    Oct 30, 2000
    Sacramento, CA
    Club:
    Los Angeles Galaxy
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    And as it turned out... the more I look at the seeding, the more I think it's rigged for the maximum probability of a USA-Mexico final.

We were in Group B, and Mexico was in Group C. 1B and 2B were both placed on the same side of the bracket, and 1B and 1C were both placed on the same side. The only way for us to play Mexico earlier than the final would have been for one team to finish 3rd in its group.

6. Sanguine

Sanguine Member

Jul 4, 2003
    Reston, VA
    I hope so. anything less would make this tournament a bore.

7. chayes

chayes New Member

Feb 29, 2000
    Raleigh, NC
    And the games have been exciting so far?

Other than the last 10 minutes of the US game, it's been a snoozefest of epic porportions.

8. jahman

jahman Member

Aug 18, 2000
    Outside Reggae Land
    Correction...Mexicans were diving all over the place and the ref was a complete moron. Jamaica is a physical/aggressive team, but certainly not dirty. The Jamiacan players are also massive and solid; therefore, the contacts, especially against Mexico (because of the olympic diving abilities)looks a lot worse than they are. Two yellow cards againts Daley was completely unjustified. There were four Spanish speaking officials doing the game last night; just had a sinking feeling we were going to get last night.

9. NBlue

NBlue Member

Jun 17, 2002
    Orlando, Florida
    Club:
    Arsenal FC
    Nat'l Team:
    United States

I am shocked, shocked to hear this.

10. JoseP

JoseP Member

Apr 11, 2002
    I thought if anybody deserved a red it was Borgetti for that cheap shot push into the goalie.

11. garbaggio

garbaggio Member

Jan 3, 2001
    Arlington
    I disagree about the snoozefest. I guess it all depends on one's expectations. The Gold Cup is never going to rival the European Cup or even the Copa America (which has lost most of its allure now that Conmebol qualifying has become so extended - but still gave us an epic final last year), but they still provide me with some interesting soccer.

The games in the US' group haven't been very exciting. But if you look at them as a test for players that are trying to make the squad for Germany'06 - then there is plenty to evaluate.

And the rest of the tournament has had some pretty interesting story lines: from Mexico's post-Confed Cup & post-doping situation, a big disappointment for Guatemala, a surprisingly good "C" team from South Africa, a solid looking Jamaican team trying to prove they're still good, a Honduran team which is likewise trying to redeem itself after a WCQ flameout, Panama and Trinidad which seem to continue punching above their weight class, and a "B" Colombian team that was disappointing but still made it through and has enough talent to cause problems.

Last night's Mexico - Jamaica was pretty entertaining for anyone who bothered to watch. Mexico has more skill and were the better team but Jamaica's speed and individual talents provided quite a challenge in a close game whose outcome wasn't decided until the very end.

12. garbaggio

garbaggio Member

Jan 3, 2001
    Arlington
    Seeding is a form of merit-based "rigging" if that's what you want to call it.

But there's nothing wrong with it if it increases the chance that the pre-tournament favorites will meet in the final and decreases the chance of them eliminating each other before then.

Of course the teams that are seeded lower tend to disagree.

13. Cannon

Cannon Member

Arsenal
    United States
    Sep 2, 2001
    Washington, DC metro
    Club:
    Arsenal FC
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Agreed. The Mexicans again proved that we should rename diving. Lets just call it "pulling a Mexican", ok? They've perfected the ability to drop as soon as the first atom of the other side's players touches them. Sad because they have the skill to win games without resorting to that. For example, the pass that led to their goal was perfect.

It was obvious that the ref was completely intimidated by the crowd. He had good views of a few clear serious fouls by the Mexicans but let them slide especially in the second half.

14. Elninho

Elninho Member+

Sacramento Republic FC
    United States
    Oct 30, 2000
    Sacramento, CA
    Club:
    Los Angeles Galaxy
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Seeding wasn't the issue... it's the fact that 1B and 2B are on the same side of the bracket and 1C and 2C. Normally, tournaments are set up so that the top two teams from the same group cannot meet for a second time until the final. (WC2002 was an exception, due to the co-hosting arrangement.) In this case, separating Groups B and C - on the off chance that either the US or Mexico somehow finished second in their group - was apparently deemed more important.

15. numerista

numerista New Member

Mar 21, 2004
    ... no, the issue was travel.

Apart from third-placed teams, all the qualifiers from Groups B and C get to stay where they played their previous game. This reduces expenses and fatigue.

16. TheDread

TheDread Member

Aug 17, 2004
    You mean like the no call against the defender that tripped Ricardo Fuller in the box, but the ref determined that it was not a corner or a foul!

17. TheDread

TheDread Member

Aug 17, 2004
    Carefull, you might get what you wished for! :cool:

18. Adam Zebrowski

Adam Zebrowski New Member

May 28, 1999
    hey jahman, bolt and powell might be golden in helsinki.....

actually, the kids jamaica played have been very entertaining the whole tourney...

when medina got that early goal, I thought the rout was on, but instead the jamaicans remained composed defensively, and had afr more possession than mexico usually gives up....

I bet usa fans will biitch and moan after tha match on saturday about how unimpressive the usa team was....failing to give credit to the other team....

if beasley doesn't show up on saturday...there might be an upset...

it'll be interesting to see onyewu matched up with some of the boyz...

19. jq pepe

jq pepe New Member

Jun 3, 2005
    los angeles
    Club:
    CDSC Cruz Azul
    Nat'l Team:
    Mexico
    why would you remain on the deffense when you are losing? Jamaica only had a few sparks of football, and being already qualified for the next round, didnt even try, and of course you "dive" when people purposefully crash into you, or kick you. good luck US

20. jahman

jahman Member

Aug 18, 2000
    Outside Reggae Land
    add Campbell and Simpson (women) in the 100 and 200... we also got a good shot at the 4 x 1 relays men and women.

back to football.... I think its going to be an entertaining game. It pains me to think we are not in the Hex but such is life. I hope the love affair with British second rate players is over, as all members of this team were born (in the case of Andy Williams - Jamaican parents and grew up in ) Jamaica.

Fans will allways bitc_ and moan about games, even the one their team wins.