Quarterfinal Opponent? (R Implied)

Discussion in 'USA Men: News & Analysis' started by Rahbiefowlah, Jul 12, 2005.

1. blueman2

blueman2 New Member

Oct 6, 2004
    Chicago
    Okay, so now we're officially way off topic...

Upon researching the boards, there is a complex seeding formula that does determine the 8 seeded teams for the WC groups (https://www.bigsoccer.com/forum/showthread.php?t=199199), however I don't think the US is going to be affected by it - Mexico, however could be by slipping in the world rankings if they show poor form throughout the rest of the year.

2. I. Tristeza

I. Tristeza Member

Oct 7, 2004
    San Antonio, Texas
    Hejduk is suspended for the quarters for his second yellow in group play. But I am guessing that the players with one card in group play (i.e., Donovan) start with a clean slate for knockout. Just a guess but I would be surprised if cards carried throughout the tournament.

3. Onionsack

Onionsack BigSoccer Yellow Card

Jul 21, 2003
    New York City
    Club:
    FC Girondins de Bordeaux
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Scenarios for USA-

1. USA vs. Mexico = if mexico loss by less than 6 goals

2. USA vs. Jamacia = if mexico wins and South Africa wins or draws or loss by less than Jamaica

3. USA vs. South Africa = (a)mexico wins and South Africa loss by more than Jamaica, (b) mexico-jamaica draw and South Africa loss

4. USA vs. Colombia = Mexico loss by 6 or more goals

I would bet on Mexico not losing..so i think its all going to come down too either Jamacia or South Africa.

4. jamison

jamison Member

Sep 25, 2000
    NYC
    I have to say I'd be down with a US v. Honduras semi-final, a Colombia v. Mexico semi-final (tons of Colombians in Jersey) and a US v. Mexico final.

5. o_l_coach

o_l_coach New Member

Jun 14, 2003
    USA
    Not that it will probably matter, but in 3b (Mexico-Jamaica draw & South Africa Loss) South Africa places 2nd because the 1st tie breaker is head to head.

6. Steel Keeper

Steel Keeper Member

Jun 5, 2005
    Pittsburgh
    As far as seeding goes. The U.S. is 10th right now. They cannot get to 8th by their own merit at this point. They need help. Obviously, if two of the 9 teams ahead of them don't qualify then there is nothing to talk about (assuming we qualify).

Brazil, Argentina, Germany, and Mexico will be seeded. Italy and Holland are looking pretty good to qualify.

England will most likley make it.

Spain and France are the most likely to fail to qualify.

If all nine qualify then we have no chance of being seeded and as I said, if two don't qualify then we will be seeded. The interesting part occurs if only one team doesn't qualify. We are 1.5 points behind Holland would we would need to leapfrog in this case.

If France or Spain don't qualify then we will need to be ahead of Holland in the November FIFA Rankings. That won't happen without Holland failing miserably in qualifing which we have assumed won't.

If England is the team not to qualify then we automatically gain a full point on Holland because they have been between the US and the Netherlands for all 3 ranking periods. Currently the U.S. is 7 spots behind Holland. We would need that gap to be cut to 5 in order to overtake them. That would likely involve us overtaking Portugal and Spain in the world rankings which would probably require an almost unblemished record for the rest of the year. We have 8 remaining games. It is certainly attainable.

The fact is we need two teams not to qualify. I am officially a Serbia, Lithuania, Ireland, Israel and Switzerland fan.

7. Dixie

Dixie New Member

Jul 25, 2002
    Tallahassee, Florida
    Now the important question. If we don't play Mexico will the game be on Univision?

8. Adam Zebrowski

Adam Zebrowski New Member

May 28, 1999
    usa soccer says saturday match is on telefutura at 4pm...

as to foe, I'd prefer south africa..new face, with a nice counter game...

will test usa transition defense somewhat....

9. Dixie

Dixie New Member

Jul 25, 2002
    Tallahassee, Florida

ARRGGGHHHHH

10. DonCorleone

DonCorleone New Member

Jun 21, 2005
    NY state.
    they said that they want to take US out of any tournament as early as possible ....as their revenge of the WC lost to US.

11. Kevin Lindstrom

Oct 28, 2003
    Dallas, TX
    Club:
    FC Dallas
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    I don't recall Mexico being seeded last time....

12. DCFAN96

DCFAN96 Member

Apr 24, 2004
    Exactly, I'm tired of playing the same type of team over and over again. South Africa would provide a nice test for us, with a different playing style. I'm hoping for either RSA or Colombia.

13. Gary V

Gary V Member+

Feb 4, 2003
    SE Mich.
    They weren't. But they have done well enough in the last 3 WC's and have a high enough Coca-Cola rating to have earned it this time. Assuming FIFA use the same formula as last time.

14. Bruce S

Bruce S Member+

Sep 10, 1999
    better learn how seeding is done.We have ZERO chance of getting a seed.It is performance at last 3 WCs plus current ranking.So for us this will include one 15th place finish ( out of 24) and one 32( out of 32)... and one 7th.If you can get a top 8 out of that, you have some magical math ability.

15. Kevin Lindstrom

Oct 28, 2003
    Dallas, TX
    Club:
    FC Dallas
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Which is why Mexico isn't going to be seeded, either.

16. XYZ1234

XYZ1234 New Member

Oct 26, 2002
    Did you even read his post?

It's pretty clear that "Steel Keeper" is commenting on this...

https://www.bigsoccer.com/forum/showthread.php?t=199199

and he's correct (assuming FIFA doesn't change the seeding formula) that the US will be seeded if they keep the 10th spot and 2 teams above them fail to qualify.

How did you not get this?

17. NateP

NateP Member

Mar 28, 2001
    Plainfield, NH, USA
    Club:
    New England Revolution
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Just to take things a little farther OT....

Surely you have seen eldiablito's work in the other thread(s) tracking the projected seeds.

Here are the Past WC scores for a number of teams:

31.67 Brazil
    28.83 Germany
    23.50 Italy
    21.50 England
    21.17 Spain
    21.00 Mexico
    19.83 Denmark
    18.67 South Korea
    18.33 USA
    17.33 Argentina
    16.17 Belgium
    15.00 Nigeria
    15.00 Sweden
    15.00 Turkey
    14.83 Paraguay
    14.67 France
    14.67 Japan
    14.50 Croatia
    14.00 Netherlands

That gives us the 9th best WC score and we have year end FIFA ranks of 11th in both 2003 & 2004. If we finish 10th this year we won't make it without higher poetential seeds failing to quailify - but there is a small but real chance that France and/or Spain could fail to qualify which could be enough....

If the same formula is used Mexico is all but assured of a seed. They have the 6th best Past WC score and year end ranks of 7th in both 2003 & 2004 - there is no way they can fall far enough in the rankings between now and November for them to still qualify but not be seeded (provided the same formula is used).

18. Flyin Ryan

Flyin Ryan Member

May 13, 2004
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    South Africa 1:1 Guatemala

With that result South Africa is 2nd place in their group as regardless of tonight's result someone will pass them.

Jamaica win = U.S. play Mexico
    Tie = U.S. play Mexico
    Mexico win = U.S. play Jamaica

19. Soccer Doc

Soccer Doc Member+

Nov 30, 2001
    Keene, NH
    Club:
    New England Revolution
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Come on Jamaica :D

20. Stars&Bars

Stars&Bars New Member

Aug 13, 2004
    I have a feeling they are not gonna put too much into this and just go for the tie. unfortunately. :(

21. Onionsack

Onionsack BigSoccer Yellow Card

Jul 21, 2003
    New York City
    Club:
    FC Girondins de Bordeaux
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    As it stands right now we play Jamaica.

Mexico leads 1-0 start of 2nd half.

I couldn't find a offical rules page for this Cup, if its GD as the tie breaker a Mexico draw still we play Jamaica...if its head-to-head then a Mexcio draw still leaves Mexico in 3rd place tied with South Africa.Actually thats a pretty big unknown...someone did say they tought it was head to head first tie breaker so...

We play Jamaica unless they can come back.

22. garbaggio

garbaggio Member

Jan 3, 2001
    Arlington
    Your post is confusing. Mexico cannot finish in a tie with either of South Africa or Jamaica. If Mexico wins, they win the group and Jamaica finishes third. If Mexico loses or ties, they finish third.

23. garbaggio

garbaggio Member

Jan 3, 2001
    Arlington
    Mexico hangs on in a close game to win the group.

Jamaica had a couple of shots in stoppage time that would have flipped the teams positions - had either gone in.

USA plays 3rd place Jamaica in Foxboro Saturday.
    Mexico stays in Houston to play 3rd place Colombia on Sunday.

Jamaica gets to wear the yellow jersey for one more day...

24. Soccer Doc

Soccer Doc Member+

Nov 30, 2001
    Keene, NH
    Club:
    New England Revolution
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    So, who will we be playing on Saturday?

25. XaviusX

XaviusX Member

Mar 21, 2001
    Tampa, Florida
    Club:
    FC Tampa Bay Rowdies
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    It's official, we're facing JAMAICA on Saturday @ Foxboro, MA

I don't know if I'm the only one, but I really wanted to Face Mexico on Saturday, just to get them out of the way, 'cause I still have the feeling that we're likely gonna face them either in the Semis or the Cup Final.