Quarterfinal Opponent? (R Implied)

Discussion in 'USA Men: News & Analysis' started by Rahbiefowlah, Jul 12, 2005.

1. Rahbiefowlah

Rahbiefowlah Member+

Oct 22, 2001
    Las Vegas
    I believe we get 3rd place of Mexico/Jamaica/Guat, not Colombia. And Canada has made their graceful exit. Semifinal would be winner of Costa Rica/Honduras. Confirm or deny please.

2. thigpig

thigpig New Member

Apr 24, 2005
    upstate NY
    I guess you know more than www.ussoccer.com knows?

According to them it's Columbia.

3. dws3665

dws3665 Member

May 30, 2005
    Charleston, SC
    Per USsoccer.com: "The U.S. opponent will be either Jamaica, South Africa or Mexico, who complete Group C play on Wednesday, July 13 in Houston, Texas. All three teams are still in the running for the top three places in the group, and the U.S. will play the third-place finisher."

4. Rahbiefowlah

Rahbiefowlah Member+

Oct 22, 2001
    Las Vegas
    Well at least they'll have to travel.

5. thigpig

thigpig New Member

Apr 24, 2005
    upstate NY
    HA!! im not lying to you. about 10 minutes ago it read Colombia. can someone else confirm this? they must have screwed up because I swear I'm not goin crazy.i mean it went pretty in depth about their history playing Colombia and everything now it's all edited out. wow glad i saw this thread.

6. RobtheAggie

RobtheAggie Member+

Sep 10, 2001
    Middle Georgia
    Club:
    Rochester Rhinos
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    According to the Gold Cup Website:

http://www.us.terra.com/goldcup2005/calendario.html

The United States will play either the third place team in Group A or C.

That would be either:
    Colombia who had 3 points.
    Or any of the Group 3 teams.

If Jamaica were to beat Mexico and Guatamala were to overcome a 8 goal differential with Mexico Mexico would be eliminated and Guatamala would have the third spot.

More realistically It will be South Africa, Mexico or Jamaica. If Jamaica wins, they will claim the top spot. If South Africa wins, they will claim the top spot.

I imagine the the only way the US would not play Colombia is if the afforementioned situiation with Guatamala were to happen. Otherwise Mexico, SA or Jamaica would all have 4 points, more than Colombia.

7. thigpig

thigpig New Member

Apr 24, 2005
    upstate NY
    Ussoccer changed its info to just USA vs. C3

8. scaryice

scaryice Member

Jan 25, 2001
    Honduras vs Costa Rica
    United States vs JAM/RSA/MEX

JAM/RSA/MEX vs Colombia
    JAM/RSA/MEX vs Panama

Most likely we will be playing Jamaica.

9. WishHoustonHAdATeam

WishHoustonHAdATeam New Member

Jun 3, 2004
    Houston Texas
    does anyone have an idea of where the game will be? who is playing in houston...which groups?

10. RobtheAggie

RobtheAggie Member+

Sep 10, 2001
    Middle Georgia
    Club:
    Rochester Rhinos
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
  11. thigpig

thigpig New Member

Apr 24, 2005
    upstate NY
    Agreed. But you never know. Hopefully they will draw for the fans. I mean it'd be a great game to have U.S. vs. Mexico in Foxboro. Huge split crowd is always fun.

12. Kevin Lindstrom

Oct 28, 2003
    Dallas, TX
    Club:
    FC Dallas
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Actually, according to the CONCACAF site, Canada is not yet eliminated - but Colombia is definitely in. I guess the unlikely way for them to make it is if Guatemala beats out Mexico for third in their group, but not by enough to catch Canada.

Odd.

Remaining games:
    Mexico-Jamaica (I expect Mexico to win)
    RSA-Guatemala (I expect at best a tie for G)

It would be interesting to play Mexico on Saturday, but I'd rather play them later in the tourney.

13. brianzappa

brianzappa Member

Oct 21, 2003
    In a big country
    I think SUM and Concacaf would agree with you there.

14. blueman2

blueman2 New Member

Oct 6, 2004
    Chicago

Actually, the only way Canada can advance to the next round is if Jamaica beats Mexico by 6, which would make Canada the second best 3rd place team. And we all know this is a totally realistic situation, right? :rolleyes:

15. Kevin Lindstrom

Oct 28, 2003
    Dallas, TX
    Club:
    FC Dallas
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    I don't know - an early Jamaica goal, some frustrated Mexico players lash out Cobi-style and you have two red cards, Mexico hangs their heads and Jamaica has a party. Unlikely? Yes. But it could happen.

16. blueman2

blueman2 New Member

Oct 6, 2004
    Chicago
    Assuming all goes as planned tonight (South Africa beats Guatemala and Mexico beats Jamaica) the quarterfinals will look like this:

Q1: (A1 v B2) Honduras v Costa Rica
    Q2: (B1 v C3) USA v Jamaica
    Q3: (C1 v A3) South Africa v Colombia
    Q4: (C2 v A2) Mexico v Panama

and then it's...

Q1 winner v Q2 winner
    Q3 winner v Q4 winner

17. Red Card

Red Card Member+

Mar 3, 1999
    Club:
    New York Red Bulls
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Off Topic-

If this tournament was held 20 years or so ago, we could have been seeing a USA v USA match. Prior to RSA, they were USA (Union of South Africa). This other USA was however banned from many sports due to its racial policies and I suppose soccer was one of those sports that banned them at that time.

18. T Nitty

T Nitty New Member

Jun 3, 2004
    MD
    I don't want to play Mexico again till 3 September. I don't want a B-team match to take away from the momentum and excitement building up to that game. I don't want my hatred and need for revenge to be diminished by a "meaningless" Gold Cup win.

19. FirstStar

FirstStar Hustlin' for the USA

Fulham Football Club
    Feb 1, 2005
    Time's Arrow
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Happy stuff. In any event, we are looking at CRC again in the Semis, where I hope we would roll out a better team than the one that played last night.

B/t/w, does anyone know if yellow card accumulation carries over from Group play to the knock-out round?

20. thigpig

thigpig New Member

Apr 24, 2005
    upstate NY
    cry more? the september 3rd game is pretty meaningless as well. I mean we will have 3 more points by that time and are pretty much in the world cup already. Both Mexico and USA will be in the world cup so it's not that meaningful. Even if Mexico were to win September 3rd, it wouldn't really matter. But when 2006 comes by and we end up playing Mexico again and beat them, then it would matter.

21. Kevin Lindstrom

Oct 28, 2003
    Dallas, TX
    Club:
    FC Dallas
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    I don't know - I think if we were to clinch Germnay with a win over Mexico (entirely possible considering the games currently scheduled), that would be a big emotional blow to them. And it would take back the momentum they got when they won in Azteca.

22. T Nitty

T Nitty New Member

Jun 3, 2004
    MD
    oh yes, I am so crying. On the meaningful scale, an already-qualified-WCQ is far below a WC match, sure. But I don't think Gold Cup matches even register. Actually, I really don't care who we play, as long as I can watch the game, this time. [cry]Damn Telefutura![/cry]

23. blueman2

blueman2 New Member

Oct 6, 2004
    Chicago
    I'm not sure how the seeding works for WC2006, but I would think winning the CONCACAF region would affect what pot we're put into and ultimately which teams we're grouped with.

24. Kevin Lindstrom

Oct 28, 2003
    Dallas, TX
    Club:
    FC Dallas
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    I don't think so - at least, it isn't supposed to be that way. Whether they do it with smoke and mirrors, though, is a different story.

25. NateP

NateP Member

Mar 28, 2001
    Plainfield, NH, USA
    Club:
    New England Revolution
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Very doubtful. 5/6 of the seeding formula is already locked in (Last 3 WC results and 12/03 & 12/04 FIFA rankings) so that our best chance to be seeded is to have 1 or 2 Euro/SA seeds fail to qualify.

Even if Mexico were to crash out with the 6 goal loss needed for them not to advance to the Quarters those results would be partially if not mostly offset by their Confed Cup run last month. Also even if we win out the Gold Cup and remaining WCQ's I don't think it would be enough to move far enough up the 2005 FIFA Rankings so that we are seed without getting any help.

All of that being said I hope I get to see a better game than last night on Sat..