Quarterfinal: Great Britain vs Australia, pre/pbp/post

Discussion in '2020 Women's Olympics Soccer' started by lil_one, Jul 27, 2021.

1. lil_one

lil_one Member+

Nov 26, 2013
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Quarterfinals are set, and let the individual match threads begin. QF19 is Great Britain playing Australia on 30 July 2021 at 6 pm local time in Kashima Stadium in Kashima.

I'll let you all figure out (and possibly post here to help others) when and where the game is broadcast in your area of the world.

2. BarryfromEastenders

Staff Member

Jul 6, 2008
    #2 BarryfromEastenders, Jul 27, 2021
    Last edited: Jul 27, 2021
    From the GB perspective. The positives are that the team hasn’t really conceded a lot of big chances to the opposition. I don’t think they will be an easy team for anyone to play. Play a bit like a club team with all the Man City players involved.

They don’t really create enough chances to be too confident going into games. Ellen White is the key player. Focal point hold up play and finishing has been very good at world level for a while. She’s become very intelligent with her movement too. Team was toothless without her against Canada today.

Considering the coaching team hasn’t had much time with the England or GB team I think they have done quite well. Feel it will be a tight game either way.

M, kolabear, Romario'sgurl and 2 others repped this.
  3. L'orange

L'orange Member+

Ajax
    Netherlands
    Jul 20, 2017
    This could be a tight match. Australia have a bunch of good players--mostly veterans-- but have lost a lot in the year or more leading to the Olympics. And they weren't good in the World Cup. They played a good first half against Sweden a few days ago--had the lead--but then gave up 3 goals in the 2nd and lost. Just not strong enough in the back. They should take some encouragement from today's tie against the U.S. Britain, meanwhile, is a solid team--good talent throughout and seem to be feeling positive about themselves--but as mentioned above, they've struggled to score balls and seem nearly as dependent on White as the Aussie are on Kerr.

4. BarryfromEastenders

Staff Member

Jul 6, 2008
    Where it started -

DE90457F-FFFD-4DA0-A6E5-491687E15D3F.jpeg

Where we are now -
    9AFBCE47-A84D-4698-A5E9-0D31A6C94ABD.jpeg

5. shlj

shlj Member+

Apr 16, 2007
    London
    Club:
    FC Nantes
    Nat'l Team:
    France
    I think Team GB have a little bit more creativity thanks to Weir, Little and Hemp. And I agree it might end up depending on who wins the contest between White and Kerr. I expect both teams to be safe first and try to keep a clean sheet.

6. BarryfromEastenders

Staff Member

Jul 6, 2008

soccernutter and kolabear repped this.
  7. BarryfromEastenders

Staff Member

Jul 6, 2008
    Little can become isolated because she’s playing pretty much as a 10 most of the time. Australia need to press Walsh and Weir and GB might struggle to get the ball to their better players in key areas.

Having Fran Kirby off the bench might be key. She looked lively off the bench and could really make an impact against tired legs.

kolabear repped this.
  8. BarryfromEastenders

Staff Member

Jul 6, 2008
  9. BarryfromEastenders

Staff Member

Jul 6, 2008
    kolabear repped this.
  10. kolabear

kolabear Member+

Nov 10, 2006
    los angeles
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Ah, it was here I saw it. But where the heck are the other match assignments (as well as official confirmation of this one)?!

11. BarryfromEastenders

Staff Member

Jul 6, 2008
    Only found that because it came up on my Twitter feed. Can’t find anything else on the other games.

kolabear repped this.
  12. kolabear

kolabear Member+

Nov 10, 2006
    los angeles
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Isn't it odd?! The quarterfinals start in 6+ hours, right? (I don't think I have my time zones and international datelines that screwed up!)

13. BarryfromEastenders

Staff Member

Jul 6, 2008
    It is odd and the men’s referees have been announced. Done some snooping and apparently Frappart and team are doing Canada v Brazil.

West Ender and kolabear repped this.
  14. lil_one

lil_one Member+

Nov 26, 2013
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Great Britain vs Australia

R: MUKANSANGA Salima (RWA)
    AR1: KWIMBIRA Bernadettar (MAW)
    AR2: NJOROGE Mary (KEN)
    4O: ALVES Edina (BRA)
    VAR: MILLOT Benoit (FRA)
    AVAR: FU Ming (CHN)

Alves is actually listed as the 4th official, not Madu.

West Ender and Lechus7 repped this.
  15. blissett

blissett Member+

Aug 20, 2011
    Italy
    Club:
    --other--
    Nat'l Team:
    --other--
    Is anyone watching the game? I am watching Canada-Brazil, but I heard that Australia scored with Kennedy. Was it a good goal? Being by a tall DF, I have to assume it was an header from CK or something of the kind?

16. jackdoggy

jackdoggy Member+

May 16, 2014
    Big D
    Nat'l Team:
    United States

blissett repped this.
  17. West Ender

West Ender Member

Dec 28, 2020
    Southwest
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    It was off a corner in the 35th minute. Kennedy rose over the defender and headed the ball into the far corner.
    Seemed to me a tall order for the defender to get up that high to challenge her.

jackdoggy and blissett repped this.
  18. blissett

blissett Member+

Aug 20, 2011
    Italy
    Club:
    --other--
    Nat'l Team:
    --other--
    Kennedy has an history of scoring such goals.

It's good for her, because she is also famous for making some incredible defensive blunders. :x3:

West Ender repped this.
  19. West Ender

West Ender Member

Dec 28, 2020
    Southwest
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Nice headed goal by Ellen White in the 57th minute, assist by Hemp.
    White positioned herself between Kennedy and Carpenter. Neither was close enough to her.
    Tied at 1

blissett repped this.
  20. West Ender

West Ender Member

Dec 28, 2020
    Southwest
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Houghton with almost an own goal, goes off the crossbar.

blissett repped this.
  21. West Ender

West Ender Member

Dec 28, 2020
    Southwest
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Daly out, Kirby in.

22. blissett

blissett Member+

Aug 20, 2011
    Italy
    Club:
    --other--
    Nat'l Team:
    --other--
    I am watching the other two games currently underway, so I greatly appreciate the updates, @West Ender! :thumbsup:

West Ender repped this.
  23. desinho

desinho Member

Liverpool FC
    Spain
    Aug 7, 2007
    Holland
    Nat'l Team:
    Argentina
    2-1 to GB in the meanwhile :whistling::x3:. Ellen White winning the header on a cross into the box and subsequent ball poorly dealt with by Aussie #5. Could have cleared it first time but took all the time in the world to deal with that ball :rolleyes:. Fell to the feet of Ellen White again in the end and with the help of some poor goalkeeping scored the 2-1 ...

blissett and Lohmann repped this.
  24. West Ender

West Ender Member

Dec 28, 2020
    Southwest
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    White with another goal in the 66th minute.
    Throw in by GB, ball pinged off the Aussie defense, and White pounces on it.

blissett and JanBalk repped this.
  25. West Ender

West Ender Member

Dec 28, 2020
    Southwest
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Little out, Scott in.