Quarterfinal 2: England - France | 09.07.11 [R]

Discussion in 'Women's World Cup' started by Lusankya, Jul 6, 2011.

1. Lusankya

Lusankya Moderator
    Staff Member

Nov 14, 2007
    Nat'l Team:
    Germany
    2011 Women's World Cup
    Match 26
    09-July-2011 18:00
    Leverkusen
    BayArena

England vs. France

[​IMG][​IMG]

History:
    2 English wins
    5 Draws
    5 French wins
    11:11 goals

Most recent form:

England: WWDLW
    France: LWWWW
    PS: Anyone knows where I can find this logo in a better resolution (just the logo with out the text)?
    [​IMG]

2. Jeddy Rasp

Jeddy Rasp Member

Feb 10, 2007
    out to lunch
    Re: Quarterfinal 2: Winners Group B - Runners-up Group A | 09.07.11 [R]

Should be a decent game. I think England has a real chance.

3. MiguelNajdorf

MiguelNajdorf Member

May 4, 2011

England do have a chance. The French CB's weren't able to defend set pieces against Germany, and Jill Scott/ E. White could do really well in that situation. The starting French keeper is out with a red card. England's defense > France.

I think Smith, and Aluko are really spotty though. They often don't seem to work well together, or with anyone else. Forward is a problem for England- France is strong there.

Lots of other good players on the England team. For me Jill and Alex Scott, Carney, Yankey, and Bardsley have been very good.

I posted on another thread France seem to be greater than the sum of their parts, the opposite for England. This is really a subjective statement but put another way, I don't see England combining offensively or having multiple options in attack the way France do.

4. newsouth

newsouth Member

Nov 20, 2010
    Club:
    Santos FC
    Nat'l Team:
    Brazil

keeper - france's back up has over 45 caps
    offense - france has good pace and speed like the african teams
    defense - england is slow outside of scott
    set pieces - equal after seeing france vs germany
    kelly smith - x factor. hasn't been on even in the wps this season. due for a big game?

france too much offense when their full line up is on the field for 90 mins.

good bye england.

5. shlj

shlj Member+

Apr 16, 2007
    London
    Club:
    FC Nantes
    Nat'l Team:
    France

All I can say is look out for diagonal balls behind Unitt's back :) or through ball inside the center half from Necib/Thiney/Abily to Delie, they won't catch her up for pace.

6. mumf

mumf Member+

Nov 7, 2008

I have to agree, am still impressed by France. And not by England at all.

7. Jeddy Rasp

Jeddy Rasp Member

Feb 10, 2007
    out to lunch

I guess the Japanese were'nt impressed by them either.:rolleyes:

8. newsouth

newsouth Member

Nov 20, 2010
    Club:
    Santos FC
    Nat'l Team:
    Brazil

japan is impressed by any euro team. just check their record.

9. Jeddy Rasp

Jeddy Rasp Member

Feb 10, 2007
    out to lunch

Yet everyone was raving about them after they destroyed Mexico, at least until England took them to the cleaners.

10. MiguelNajdorf

MiguelNajdorf Member

May 4, 2011

England took Mexico to the cleaners?!?

11. MiguelNajdorf

MiguelNajdorf Member

May 4, 2011

; )

12. hula

hula Moderator
    Staff Member

May 16, 2009
    Los Angeles
    Club:
    Chelsea FC
    Nat'l Team:
    Denmark
    It's going to be a great game. Great matchup. nom nom nom can't wait.

13. FawcettFan14

FawcettFan14 Member+

Mar 19, 2004
    Colorado
    Very enticing match-up, this. England comes into the quarterfinals with momentum, while France are a bit on their heels after losing 4-2. One interesting trend this World Cup is that teams seem to fluctuate from game to game. France and Japan looked unstoppable, then lost. The U.S. was riding high, then ground to a halt against Sweden. The Swedes were looking anemic on offense, then went on to top the group. Germany and Brazil haven't dominated as many people expected. This unpredictability makes these quarterfinals very exciting.

England need Kelly Smith to perform better than she has up until now. Her visible frustration after being subbed against Japan was telling (although I think she was upset at herself more than Birgit Prinz, who seemed angry at the coaching staff). England can take heart that they have advanced despite Smith being near invisible, but they'll need her against better teams. Karen Carney has been impressing me lately; she has ball skills and control that are on par with Smith. And Aluko has been more effective as a winger than the lone forward.

I'm predicting 3-2 France.

14. kolabear

kolabear Member+

Nov 10, 2006
    los angeles
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Referee for this match will be Jenny Palmqvist from Sweden.

CR followed by ARs, then 4th official

15. debzy

debzy Member+

May 26, 2009
    paris
    Club:
    Paris Saint Germain FC
    Nat'l Team:
    France
    England is the team france respect the most, cause the english (like us) plays an attack minded football,got technically gifted players,physically tough and they are fair like france.........French players have a true respect for english players like a.scott,yankey,williams and a kind of admiration for carney and smith....so we know the game will be not easy......but we even know than we have a more balanced team than them , we pass the ball better and our forwards are too pacy for their defense.
    The two teams knows each other from A to Z ,the players knows each others from A to Z....it will be a battle but a nice one with two entertaining teams but i think we will win with 1 or 2 goals difference

16. kool-aide

kool-aide Member+

Feb 1, 2002
    a van by the river
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    I think this game will be the closest of the quarterfinals as I see these two as the most evenly matched pair.

Will K. Smith raise her level for this game? How will the slower English defense deal w/ the very fast French forwards and quality midfield passing? Will Powell keep Asante in the lineup (perhaps even moving her to the backline)?

I'm looking forward to watching.

17. shlj

shlj Member+

Apr 16, 2007
    London
    Club:
    FC Nantes
    Nat'l Team:
    France
    I think if nothing unusual happens like early injury/red card/penalty, we will be beating England very easily. Both team will score IMO because England have quality forwards but their defense is really the weakest link. 3-1 or 4-2 for me :cool:

18. ogopogo

ogopogo Member

Oct 13, 2005
    Lake Okanagan
    Club:
    Millonarios Bogota
    I like the way this French team has been playing...Bonne chance!

Looks like is going to be an exciting match...

19. kolabear

kolabear Member+

Nov 10, 2006
    los angeles
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    And we'll be watching along with (hopefully) millions in England. The BBC has announced an about-face and will now broadcast the quarter-final against France.

From the Guardian:

20. Cville K C

Cville K C Member

Nov 3, 2008
    Collinsville, IL
    Club:
    Saint Louis Athletica
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    I agree with most that this will be a very interesting matchup. France's speed and technical skills against England's size, strength, and grittiness.

Kelly Smith has to get more involved for England to win IMO. England cannot afford to waste set piece opportunities and they need to test Deville as often as possible.

I see England having huge problems with Delie and Thomis and their speed. Necib vs. Alex Scott could be one of the best matchups we'll see.

I've got to believe that Ellen White starts over Aluko for this match.

This should be close.

21. kolabear

kolabear Member+

Nov 10, 2006
    los angeles
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    The big lineup question for Hope Powell is a recurring theme in this World Cup - play your veteran or start her on the bench. In this case I'm not talking about Kelly Smith but captain Faye White. The England defense looked much better against the best team they played by starting with Sophie Bradley in place of their longtime backline anchor.

Styles make fights and this should be one of the best. These teams are well-matched overall but with dynamic imbalances all over the pitch and individual players capable of stunning moments.

22. htide

htide Member

Jul 28, 2007
  23. htide

htide Member

Jul 28, 2007
    Captains in a stardown....

24. Gilmoy

Gilmoy Member+

Jun 14, 2005
    Pullman, Washington
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    00' 0-0 #12 Karen Carney chips from just past midfield wide right, footrace to box top right -- France's keeper comes all the way out, loses the race, #10 Kelly Smith rounds her! Chases her own final touch wide to 7m midway between 6-right and box right, shot toward empty net blocked over by her defender. Good morning :p

25. Gilmoy

Gilmoy Member+

Jun 14, 2005
    Pullman, Washington
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    03' 0-0 France press to center circle left, England foul, ref plays advantage. #17 Gaetane Thiney switches to #10 Camille Abily at 35m arc right, she touches to 30m with nobody around her, lifts a high flat shot that #1 Karen Bardsley tracks with interest -- just 2 diameters over the crossbar.

05' 0-0 #8 Fara Williams slides through #17 Gaetane Thiney's shins in center circle. Yellow card on Williams already.