Quark XPress for Mac OS X drops next week

Discussion in 'Technology' started by skipshady, Jun 10, 2003.

1. skipshady

skipshady New Member

Apr 26, 2001
    Orchard St, NYC
    I don't know if there are many designer/art director types here, but the OS X version is finally shipping next week and will retail for a very affordable $1,045. How soon do you think before it's available via file sharing?
    Anyway, it's about damn time.

story

2. fidlerre

fidlerre Moderator
    Staff Member

Oct 10, 2000
    Central Ohio
    ugggh, quark? blech...i am a much bigger for of in-design by adobe.

3. skipshady

skipshady New Member

Apr 26, 2001
    Orchard St, NYC
    Re: Re: Quark XPress for Mac OS X drops next week

I haven't used In Design even though I've had it for almost a year. Then again, I don't do layouts much.

I know a lot of art directors who used to live and die by Quark though, since it was more stable and ran faster than Adobe programs. They either abandoned Quark for not supporting OS X or stayed on OS 9 because that's what they were comfortable with. I've learned to live without Quark myself. Though the new features make it sound pretty nifty. If they have a workshop, I may go check it out.

4. metrocorazon

metrocorazon Member

May 14, 2000
    People still use Quark over InDesign for reasons you stated. It is still industry standard and unless youre an Art Director there's no way you can change the fact that 90% of the time, if you get a job, you'll have to use Quark over InDesign.

I beleive tho that in a few years InDesign will probably catch up and compete. But people are generally picky about stuff like this they always tend to stick with what they like even if theres a better product. They only change when they absolutely have to and Quark is still a much more reliable program so theres no need to change.