Quaresma

Discussion in 'Portugal' started by Scotty, Aug 25, 2002.

1. Scotty

Scotty Member+

Dec 15, 1999
    Toscana
    As some of you may know, I took a vacation to Portugal a few weeks ago (and had a fantastic time, BTW). I was able to catch the Sporting vs PSG friendly at Avalade Stadium.

The player that stood out to me, more than all the others, was Quaresma. Sporting has an incredible talent on their hands with this youngster. His ability to take on defenders is amazing. Almost everytime he had the ball he would turn to face his defender, drop his shoulder, and then just glide past him. He also posseses the size and strength to out-muscle his opponents.

Hopefully I will be able to see him in some of Sporting's games from the Champions League this season. But I'm afraid it's only a matter of time before the big Italian and Spanish teams come looking for him.

2. Fender playa

Fender playa New Member

Mar 18, 2002
    Vancouver/Canada
    quaresma is supposed to become the next superstar:D

3. Cbear5959

Cbear5959 New Member

Aug 11, 2002
    Rhody
    It is his destiny

I have seen him play only about five times, but his one on one skills are amazing he will be the next great Portuguese wing attacker in the mold of Figo.

4. JuveleoRules

JuveleoRules Member

Jun 8, 2002
    New Jersey, U.S.A.
    Club:
    Sporting CP Lisbon
    Nat'l Team:
    Portugal
    Just another one of the superior youth players that Sporting CP has produced.

Did anyone have any doubts what team and organization is the best in Portugal. One great player after another, from Figo to Simao to Hugo Viana to Quaresma to Cristian Ronaldo to Carlos Martins, etc....

5. Selecao2002

Selecao2002 New Member

Oct 20, 2000
    MA
    Scotty,

Glad to hear that you were able to take in a game in Portugal. I hope the rest of your trip was enjoyable.

FYI: Quaresma got his first of the year in Sporting's opener Friday night. I agree -- he will be playing elsewhere next year.

6. dtoste

dtoste New Member

Sep 2, 2001
    San Jose Ca
    I just got back today from portugal today and I was very lucky to catch the Academica vs Sporting match (I'm still amazed that I was able to get in) but anyway that kid is amazing he is definitly going to be a star. I also caught the Benfica vs Maritimo match and got to see guys like Nuno Gomes, Simao, and Tiago who are all young. With guys like that along with Viana we have a lot of young talent we need to get these guys called up!!

7. Frank Cunha

Frank Cunha New Member

Sep 17, 2001
    UNION TOWNSHIP, NJ
    Dtoste you were lucky to get in, I guess you got to the game earlier then expected, a friend of mine was waiting 3 hours before the game started.
    Crazy scene, hours earlier you probably could see Sporting shirts all over the city, they took over the city.

8. dtoste

dtoste New Member

Sep 2, 2001
    San Jose Ca
    It was pure luck! Instead of renting a car I worked out a deal with my Hotel to drive me to Fatima and then the game. When we got there about 2 1/2 hours ealry it was sold out. But the guy who took us asked a guy at the window and told him he had brought two americans all the way from Lisbon who came just to watch the game and he sold him two tickets for 15 euros each. We went in with no problems but about 30 minutes before the game everyone was trying to get in and that's when the problems started. Sporting fans invaded Figueira da Foz! I also got to watch Benfica and Maritimo it was great!

9. Frank Cunha

Frank Cunha New Member

Sep 17, 2001
    UNION TOWNSHIP, NJ
    You did the right thing by not driving to the game, you have to leave early in the afternoon, just to get a parking spot, for a game at 9 Pm..Also its not easy to drive in Portugal or any other place in Europe. I try to give a couple guys a chance to get in and they look a me like I was crazy the knew right away I was not leaving in the country.