Quality of Football

Discussion in 'West Ham United' started by Footstomper, Feb 6, 2010.

1. Footstomper

Footstomper New Member

Oct 4, 2004
    Frederick MD
    Club:
    West Ham United FC
    Nat'l Team:
    England
    Is probably better to watch in the championship, dont you think? I mean, who wants to watch these premiership prima donnas week in and week out. Its a real mans game in the championship. The sort of game you really want to watch.
    Even if you cant, coz its not on the telly. Oh but I remember those good old days when we were hoping to reach the play offs, I'm sure you do too.
    But honestly, I wish I supported a championship side, it would just be so much more fun.
    Wouldnt it?
    Maybe?
    Possibly?

2. Lasse

Lasse Member

Oct 27, 2004
    Espoo
    Couldn´t agree with You more. Even though being not able to watch as many matches a season as now if happened, that´s The Real League!

Just the type of football I´ve grown to admire and the reason I started watching British football at first place.

Remember a couple of years ago we had two home matches in the row on Wednesdays. It was February, rained like hell on both occasions and both were against of Scunthorpe´s or Peterborough´s or something like that. And there were over 30.000 watching! Just imagine: 60.000 altogether!!!

...and playoffs then: went to Cardiff with my wife and son to celebrate our win against Palace. Bitter but what a memory...

My pals haven´t taken me seriously when I´ve stated I almost wish us to go down. So what? It´s not the end of the world, been there done that. Of course it would mean us playing with Malky Mackay´s and Tyrone Mears´s and juniors. Who cares? It´s still football, and in many ways much more honest kind of it.

But I don´t know, still. It´s so scizcophrenic - I recall how I couldn´t even watch ANY table of ANY sports for a long time after relegation without getting mad...

3. Footstomper

Footstomper New Member

Oct 4, 2004
    Frederick MD
    Club:
    West Ham United FC
    Nat'l Team:
    England
  4. claret50

claret50 Member

Oct 3, 2004
    Club:
    West Ham United FC
    Nat'l Team:
    England
    Good times just around the corner then, because that's what we'll be playing next season, fizzy pop football.

5. 15woodcroft

15woodcroft Member

Oct 6, 2004
    Toronto
    Club:
    West Ham United FC
    Too subtle? Something lost in translation I think...

(And I think a ban should be imposed on the next person to use the phrase "too good to go down", 'cause you know it's coming)

6. Lasse

Lasse Member

Oct 27, 2004
    Espoo
    Irony? No way

Just like pizza: who cares if it´s not gourmet? It´s still pizza

7. Footstomper

Footstomper New Member

Oct 4, 2004
    Frederick MD
    Club:
    West Ham United FC
    Nat'l Team:
    England
    No.
    Pizza should always be Italian rather than American. Eaten in the open air. In half shade as the waning late summer sun heads for the horizon. Accompanied by a cheap cheerful local Valpolicella. In the company of a comely, intellectual, ballerina.

Then its pizza: the mythic food of the demigods invented by Aeneas as he attempted to fulfill the destiny proscribed to him by Jupiter himself.

Pizza hut just doesn't do it for me

8. Lasse

Lasse Member

Oct 27, 2004
    Espoo
    Stomps You are a poet

And You also say it´s not only the pizza itself.

You know, for me British football is that open air pizzeria and afternoon showers that late summer sun - crowned with a proper pint of ale, that´s my sip of perfect Valpolicella. And that ballerina? Yeah well, that could do :)

Of course I´d also prefer that pizza to be as perfect as possible, but it´s not my full point.

As said, this IS scizophrenic but in many ways PL isn´t that honest open air pizzeria to me. To me it´s more like a sophisticated, cultivated but faked gourmet restaurant with French cuisine and half empty plates where I just don´t feel myself at home.

So, if relegated I´ll take that with content - or well I don´t how could I really know beforehand? - and remember I´ve already experienced that twice. And it´s been good as well.

It´s still WHU, it´s still Boleyn and its Academy and all that tradition that comes with it.

So, You see, it´s still pizza :)

9. Birminghammer

Birminghammer New Member

Jun 19, 2005
    Wiltshire, England
    Club:
    West Ham United FC
    Whilst sat outside a cafe, by the Bridge of Three Arches on the Cannaregio Canal, Mrs BH and I thought we could slip in a quick pizza between lunch and dinner. When in Venice etc.

We navigated the menu with the polylingual prowess of Derek Trotter, when we happened across 'cavallo' as a topping, swiftly turning to the French translation we confirmed it as cheval. The loser of the 3:30 at Haydock Park on a pizza.:confused:

The durty bastads.

10. Footstomper

Footstomper New Member

Oct 4, 2004
    Frederick MD
    Club:
    West Ham United FC
    Nat'l Team:
    England
    I think that West Ham are not the Cavallo of pizza toppings but neither are we haute cuisine. I regard us as being more a Quattro Stagioni; the kind of topping that everyone goes for, always has a particular local flavour, and has anchovies (Paul Hilton, Kovac, Repka) that one has to ask the waiter to replace with something edible.
    Naturally the dancer is in the chorus rather than being a prima ballerina. But she's second understudy so one day she might make it. although in your hearts you both know its never going to happen.
    The wine, while characterful, is a little too dry, and is that a rain cloud I see on the scarlet-tinged westering horizon?

11. Footstomper

Footstomper New Member

Oct 4, 2004
    Frederick MD
    Club:
    West Ham United FC
    Nat'l Team:
    England
    Damn. I almost got optimistic there. Dont worry it's passed.