Quakes/Wizards Playoff Match 1 (10/24) inmatch/postmatch [R]

Discussion in 'San Jose Earthquakes' started by BlueMeanie, Oct 24, 2004.

1. shasta

shasta New Member

Mar 8, 2004
    AEG SVCKS
    Now, THAT'S what I'm talking about!!!

That is the type of heart, soul and PASSING that won them the cup last year! Absolutely BEAUTIFUL game! K.C., although there were a few scary moments, looked absolutely lost. It would be nice, however, to have a little better cushion. K.C. will not lie down and throw everything they have at us. If the Quakes play like yesterday, however, it’s all over for K.C.!!!!

Now, the referee on the other hand… absolutely disgraceful. I stopped yelling at him. Mullen gets kicked in the chest, right below his Adam’s apple and HE gets a yellow??? Unbelievable.

I missed Richard. The team must have played this one for him. They were on fire!

DeRo was all over the place. Awesome!

Mullen OWNED the right side. Did you see the one where he burned two defenders, the second one right between the legs? BITCHIN’!

Donovan showed us why he is so special. We’ve been very fortunate to have this guy, people! Plus, when he took a picture with my 13 year old and her friend after the game, I thought they were gonna’ have heart attacks!

I was very surprised Dom subbed out DeRo. When I saw that, I told my buddy they should take out Ching, as he looked hurt. Sure enough, next play Brain gets flattened! Later, in autograph ally, he could barely walk. Looked to be in a great deal of pain, but told everyone, “I’m fine”. Hope he’s a quick healer!

Anyway, I was a little melancholy looking around at what may have been our final game at Spartan. Love it or hate it, over the last 30 years I’ve spent some of the most enjoyable moments of my life with some really awesome people at that place. We managed to be part of the “line” on the field that cheers the players as they run out of the tunnel. Got some great photos and the kids that were with me were bursting with excitement. Absolutely priceless.

QUAKES ALL THE WAY!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

2. GoMooner!

GoMooner! New Member

Jan 24, 2003
    Mullan...MullAn.

3. Albany58

Albany58 Member+

Sep 14, 1999
    Concord, CA USA
    Club:
    San Jose Earthquakes
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Does anyone know if Kevin Terry played soccer, and if so, did he play in England? I was talking to him and Alex Prus (well, okay, I was threatening them :)) and Terry said he was from Texas, but I heard a bit of a Brit accent. Could he have been a footballer who got cut, and decided to come over and take his frustrations out on MLS and its fans?

4. doppelganger

doppelganger Member

Jul 6, 2001
    santa cruz, ca
    Mullan deserved the card...he went in late with his leg up and back turned, laying his shoulder squarely into Gutierrez...Mullan got kicked in the throat, which was his own fault....

5. KMJvet

KMJvet BigSoccer Supporter

May 26, 2001
    Quake Country
    Club:
    San Jose Earthquakes
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    That was a fun game and really, we should have had 3-nil.

People are being too hard on Ching. That cracker of a volley which Oshani saved in the first 5 minutes made the defense have to focus on him, which is just fine because it tends to help free up DeRo and others. He was working hard all game, even after he was clearly tired. Dom should have subbed him 70th minute when the tank was empty and put in Brown.

Corrales....either he was really up for the playoff game, or D-mid is his one and only natual position.

Donovan great. And why in heaven's name didn't Zavagnin and Guitierrez foul the heck out of him like they usually do? That's worked for them in the past. I wonder if KT warned both teams he intended to call the game pretty tight ??

Agoos....bumped Wolf around just enough to take him off his game, easily. KC offense was non-existant.

Waibel....solid....and well-deserving of a goal.

Mullan....that hit on Burciaga was a thing of beauty...absolutely legal. Reminded me a perfect mid-ice hockey check. Keep your temper though...the yellow card was unnecessary.

Kevin Terry.....I'm glad the curse is broken. He called the game very tight. Not shinanigans....but fouls. That helps us. I wonder if he got a talking to after the last game. He made some bad calls...most of which did not favor us. DeRo should have gotten a yellow for diving. But Simutenkov should have been given a red for throwing a punch. You can't throw a punch unintentionally. I guess he let it slide as a yellow because it was to the body instead of the head. KT was wrong on the top of the box free kick that lead to the Jeff yellow--that was a dive. And I'm not entirely sure the top of the box we received for a foul on Donovan was really a foul.
    But when Jimmy went over Ching's back on the Landon free kick, that should be a penalty for pushing...and KT was staring right at that. I think that was let go because of what the score was and that's not okay.
    So, we didn't really get any breaks from him, but he called the game pretty tight and that favors us for sure.

The crowd....sure looked and sounded bigger than 8,700.

Even if Ekelund's back next week, leave Donovan at O-mid, at least to start.

-KMJvet

6. JazzyJ

JazzyJ BigSoccer Supporter

Jun 25, 2003
    That volley is very very difficult to put on frame given the angle of his body to the goal, the direction of the pass, and his choice of foot (right). The pass was from his left, his body was turned somewhat left, and he hit it with his right foot. It has to be timed perfectly. If he had used his left foot and gone to the other post he might have scored. But it was still an excellent shot that required a very good save by Bo.