Quakes/Wizards Playoff Match 1 (10/24) inmatch/postmatch [R]

Discussion in 'San Jose Earthquakes' started by BlueMeanie, Oct 24, 2004.

1. ZiggyGalaxy

ZiggyGalaxy New Member

Sep 22, 2004
    Congrats, guys...I'm forming a temporary truce between us, as we need you guys to perform so that we have a shot at going to the cup (should we go to the next round...we cannot win at KC). So congratulations on a game well played. Gansler said he was gonna sit back until you guys got tired...boy, was that a mistake! Congrats...and hopefully see you all in the next round. Cheers!

2. willykirk

willykirk Member

Jan 6, 2004
    San Jose, Ca
    Club:
    San Jose Earthquakes
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    dunivant did do very well, and i'm glad I was worried about mullan for nothing--with 15 minutes to go, nate b. for kc was just gassed, couldn't even keep of the facade of marking mullan anymore. i'll bet kc tries to counter this defensively somehow in the return leg, and it only upsets what little offense they've got further.

oh yeah, Waibel finally scored!!

3. 1Bri Fanatic333

1Bri Fanatic333 New Member

Jul 12, 2000
    I havn't read the entire thread yet, so firgive me if I repeat....My thoughts on the game:

When I heard about no Mulrooney, I thought we were done-for......I can honestly say Ramiro stepped up and did what he had to do. Best game I've seen from him all season.
    Solid game from Ian. One of his best this season. He has had better, but he has also had SO MUCH WORSE! I thought he played well today with the occasion mishap.
    Ryan Cochran (I'm sorry, I dunno hwo to spell his name) played like a Veteran today. The tackle in the first half to stop a one-v-one was priceless. Best game I've ever seen him play.
    Goose was solid and composed when getting those balls out of the back....Nice game for him.
    Todd and Craigy....good games for both of them. I'm so happy for Craigy that he scored.....he deserved it. The look on his face was priceless. Todd got hammered in the second half....they need to beef that boy up so he doesn't get knocked so easily.
    Landon played well today, too. I havn't been impressed with him much this season, to be honest. Best game I've seen him play his season.
    Mullan didn't have much action in the first half. All of the balls were coming up the left side. In the second half, they found him more often, and he dusted that guy on the right time after time. I was at a good view to see it, and that man just amazes me...his heart is never-ending. Not the best game I've seen out of him, but definately not a bad one. He had good services into the box, too.
    Ching was silent for mst of the game, yes, but he was gettin' their defense really frazzled. He got to them enough for Dero to have so much room, IMHO.
    Dero was like the energizer bunny out there. Does he EVER get tired? The goal-planned or not, there are few who could get that ball in the net from that angle....give him the credit for it.
    If it weren't for Bo, we would have won it by 4 or 5.....Meola who?
    Conrad saved their butts numerous times, too. We need to get him back!

Wasn't it just so great walking out of that stadium with a win and 2 goals? It was just so nice.....a feeling I havn't had in a while. And the guys looked so happy and excited, too.....that made it that much better for me. I had warm tinglies inside me when they were exiting.....

4. lurking

lurking Member+

Feb 9, 2002
    Club:
    San Jose Earthquakes
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    If Im KC, I dont worry too much about changing my system to mark Mullan tighter. They did a good job of denying him the ball.

No, the thing they need to figure out is how in the hell do they keep Donovan from running roughshod over their midfield. Well that and how to get some possession.

5. dred

dred Member+

Nov 7, 2000
    Land of Champions
    Without reading the rest of the thread here's my take:

Quakes remain the most talented team in the league, they just need to maintain focus.

Huge step-up games under pressure by Cochrane and Corrales. In a rare start Cochrane met the challenge of Wolff's speed and won all the must-win challenges. Corrales tackled and distributed well as was a perfect partner for Donovan in an unfamiliar pairing.

Dunivant avoided critical gaffs which usually means his ball skill makes him a net asset. Waibul continues to play within himself and came up big as well.

Non-stop aggression from Mullan, hard work from Russell. De Ro did what the team needed of him.

If someone knows Diego Gutierrez` home address, Mr. November would like to mail him his jock back. How many tackles did Donovan make look silly? Had to wonder if this was his last game in San Jose when he went alone to the East stands after the game to applaud.

Oshonyi seldom came off his line on Agoos' strong corners, it wasn't surprising a goal finally resulted from the chaos.

Both teams ran out of gas around minute 70.

It aint over yet, but don't be surprised if the Quakes win in KC as well.

6. TyffaneeSue

TyffaneeSue moderator
    Staff Member

Nov 15, 2003
    Upstairs
    Club:
    San Jose Earthquakes
    We had to leave before 60 min to get to my BU19 game (I told the boys they'd better have a game that was at least as exciting as the one I'd had to leave, and they won 5-1!) We all hated to walk out of there--what a game! Kansas City was actually playing (albeit not that well) unlike the recent 90 minutes of bunkerball. (Please...let's dump the no-overtime rule--0-0 games are a marketing liability). It was great to see DeRo sizzling through the defense, and Landon fighting for possession. Both goals (which fortunately we did see) were incredible, and you could feel the joy in Craig's post-goal celebration from 1/4 way around the stadium.

Kansas City looked scared, and for good reason.

Also, I don't know if anyone has posted the actual attendance but the crowd was great, not as big as the last two of course, but very animated and into the game. Plus after a rainy week, that sun felt good.

7. WbaQuakesFan

WbaQuakesFan New Member

Jan 12, 2004
    San Jose
    I don't know what match some of you watched, but here are my thoughts:

Donovan and DeRo were awesome

Waibel was awful on D (looked like he took some tips from Doyle)

Onstad did well on the chances they had

Ching was his usual clumsy self, did absolutely nothing (Season Team MVP? What a joke)

Corrales and Russell were awful

Why the hell did Kinnear take DeRo out? To get a well-deserved Standing O? In a regular season game, ok. But in a playoff game were total goals come into play, leave him on the field, and take Ching out. Glad to see Jamil on the field, though.

And yes, I was AT the game

8. 1Bri Fanatic333

1Bri Fanatic333 New Member

Jul 12, 2000
    hey, to each their own.....

9. Beau Dure

Beau Dure Member+

May 31, 2000
    Vienna, VA
    Atlas? Hey, don't restart those Mexico rumors!

Press release inexplicably gives attendance as 8,659, which has revived the paranoia I used to feel that San Jose was undercounting.

10. MarkBox

MarkBox Member

Aug 1, 2002
    CA Hills
    Landon IS a midfielder. He showed it for the USMNT and today for the Quakes. Winning balls, distributing, and slicing and dicing at will. Much more dangerous than when he plays from the forward position. Leave Landon at midfield!

DeRo, what a goal! Very sharp angle surprised everyone :)

Good efforts from all.

Way to go Quakes!

11. flowergirl

flowergirl Member+

Aug 11, 2004
    panama city, FL
    Club:
    Columbus Crew
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    congrats you guys. if our boys can't win, i'm glad yours can! :)

12. hipityhop

hipityhop Member

New Mexico United
    United States
    Jan 10, 1999
    Mission TX
    Club:
    SønderjyskE
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    I'm sad now, because I'm for the wizards, but congratulations to the quakes and their fans..... I still think you have the best team in the league, at least for the rest of this year....

Being 2 goals down to your quakes will be hard to overcome, because with your speed in the counterattack mode, I fear Landon could get 3 goals, and he loves to stick the dagger in the heart on the road......

It will be rough, but San Jose will not go down easily, and I don't look for a repeat of last year, when you overcame that big lead of the Galaxy. I figure that San Jose will not be over confident and will play well...

Again congratulations quakes!

13. batfam

batfam New Member

Jun 5, 2002
    Brandon, FL
    What a game! I just got home and I am still on cloud 9. They played fantastic and controlled the entire game. My morning prediction was if we could beat KC 2-0 and LA loses next week...we are going to the Cup. Well, we won 2-0 and will have to see what happens next weekend.

MOTM--LD he was one step away and several bad tackles from putting KC away. He deserves the Captain's armband.

Hats off to the Casbah. They were incredible!!!!

Go Quakes!

14. sonofapitch

sonofapitch New Member

Feb 11, 2002
    Novato, CA
    What a performance from our Quakes! That effort was beyond words when you consider the absences of Ronnie and Richard. They continue to define what "team" means...everybody got it done today. Even Waibel!!!! Way to go, Craig!

I'm thrilled with the outcome. I just hope that they carry this momentum into next Saturday and continue to play assertively--no prevent crap. No bunker. I would love to have witnessed the third goal (a.k.a.--the final KC coffin nail) in San Jose but if they get that first goal in KC, I have a hard time envisioning a Wizard comeback.

I'd love nothing more than for that next SJ goal to come right before the half next Saturday. Send KC into the locker room staring at a 3-0 deficit and a club that is totally unfamiliar with all-out attacking soccer.

No chickens being counted yet...if anyone should know that, it should be those of us who watched THE GREATEST COMEBACK IN MLS HISTORY. However, KC can't score like we can and we are not as inept as the Galaxatives.

GO QUAKES!!!** :D

15. Hawkeye17

Hawkeye17 DynaChick v QuakeBabe v WildKate v Chewie23

Aug 25, 1999
    Miami Vice 82
    Club:
    San Jose Earthquakes
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Thought this was going to be another scoreless draw, but score one for our lads...

Got to give the coaches credit for installing Donovan, Ching, and DeRo all in the same starting XI... Ching looked a bit banged up, but a total cracker from DeRo, who would most likely to get GOTY.

Even more so, getting key goals from people who would be least expected to score a goal will be important... Waibel is the last person expected to put one behind the net...

I'll be the first to say the defense wins games, but offensive chances are going to count for a lot... just keep pressing the Wizards defense and opportunities will come along...

A 2-0 aggregate lead is very good. However, given that the tables are now turned I wouldn't count out KC--they will have come into Saturday's leg attacking endlessly or they are done... It still looks good despite the absences of Mulrooney and Ekelund...

I'm hoping we get a result similar to the win on August 14 instead of the loss on September 18. Still, at least we can bunker down, but not without getting a goal or two in to be very sure...

It feels good to finally get a win when it counts... cheers!

16. sj_quakes_fan

sj_quakes_fan Member

May 18, 2001
    San Jose
    Club:
    San Jose Earthquakes
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    There is the funniest pic of Craigy's goal on yahoo sports. The look on Oshnini's face is priceless!

17. Dark Cloud

Dark Cloud New Member

Apr 5, 2003
    Mountain View
    From my point of view, at the top of section 130, the following had their best game of the year.

Landon Donovan

Ian Russell

Ramiro Corrales

Dwayne DeRosario

Jeff Agoos

And the Casbah.

I haven't been to the KC board yet but I can image what they are saying. We had what ten corners? Which matched nicely to the number of times we fouled Davy Arnaud.

Nice touch placing Cochrane in Bo's jock on the corners.

Most players shoot with their feet or their head's nice to see Craig Waibel try something different, missed using his but butt later buried one with his knee.

DeRo's goal was a shot - I know I have seen him try that before sometime.

I was worried that Agoos or Mullan would pick up a second yellow - they both gave Terry the opportunity to reach for the pocket a second time.

18. sj_quakes_fan

sj_quakes_fan Member

May 18, 2001
    San Jose
    Club:
    San Jose Earthquakes
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Ummm.... I'll be good.... Even though I'm so not thinking that way....

19. Bajoro

Bajoro Member+

Sep 10, 2000
    The Inland Empire
    Club:
    San Jose Earthquakes
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Very nice post, Linds.

One thing about Ching -- check out Waibel's goal on mlsnet.com when they post it. Ching and Conrad were absolutely battling for position. Ching ran across the goal, from about 5 yards out, with Conrad grabbing everything he could. The great thing was that the run totally cleared everyone away from the near post -- exactly where Waibel ran through to connect on the goal.

So while Ching doesn't get an official assist, his perfect run springs Waibel for the goal.

20. babytiger2001

babytiger2001 New Member

Dec 29, 2000
    Melbourne
    Club:
    San Jose Earthquakes
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    This one?

[​IMG]

21. babytiger2001

babytiger2001 New Member

Dec 29, 2000
    Melbourne
    Club:
    San Jose Earthquakes
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Meanwhile, here's Dwayne celebrating his goal...

[​IMG]

22. SJHorns

SJHorns Member

Aug 5, 2004
    Redwood City Norcal
    Club:
    San Jose Earthquakes
    Are you serious? Its fun when people admit to supporting WBA.. but do you really think this? Waibel wads solid. Russell was very solid. Dero came out on the 85th. Gotta be more value here than the Hawthorns this year?

We're all going to HDC 2 times I think.

23. Goodsport

Goodsport Moderator
    Staff Member

May 18, 1999
    Club:
    San Jose Earthquakes
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Ewww...

24. SJHorns

SJHorns Member

Aug 5, 2004
    Redwood City Norcal
    Club:
    San Jose Earthquakes
    We wiped out the so far best team in the league. Like last time, they came for a draw. They had no response to our (understrength) team. What will they do in Kansas? Attack us? ha ha. I dont think they know how.

We are the best team in the league. WE get to beat LA in HDC, then go play ....ADU united, & spoli the MLS party by winnning... Hurray

Very disappointing KC. Came for nothing, got nothing

25. TyffaneeSue

TyffaneeSue moderator
    Staff Member

Nov 15, 2003
    Upstairs
    Club:
    San Jose Earthquakes
    As a native Kansas Citian, I am required to educate the masses about the location of Kansas City.

It's in Missouri.

(Yes, there is a Kansas City, Kansas, but it is a smallish industrial city, sort of like South San Francisco vs San Francisco proper).

Now, back to the celebratory thread.