"Quakes upbeat as camp opens" (Tuesday, 1/26/10)

Discussion in 'San Jose Earthquakes' started by Goodsport, Jan 26, 2010.

1. Goodsport

Goodsport Moderator
    Staff Member

May 18, 1999
    Club:
    San Jose Earthquakes
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
  2. Goodsport

Goodsport Moderator
    Staff Member

May 18, 1999
    Club:
    San Jose Earthquakes
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Very interesting.

Though will there even be an upcoming season after this Sunday? :eek:

GO SAN JOSE EARTHQUAKES!!! :(

-G

3. markmcf8

markmcf8 Member+

Oct 18, 1999
    Vancouver, WA, USA
    Club:
    San Jose Earthquakes
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Fitness first. This is where they should start, and they should carry on with fitness training all season. As noted in Soccernomics, AC Milan do a lot of training, much more fitness work than other clubs. Some of their players complain, but after a bit, the new players notice that they have fewer injuries and keep their speed and stamina much deeper into games than previously.

WE need to take this approach. Last season we suffered (and lost games) due to a lack of fitness.

It's good to know that Gjertsen and Eduardo are both in camp.

Now we just need to see the CBA settled. My big hope there is that both sides understand that they cannot afford a strike or lockout. A serious player-owner dispute right now would kill the league. The owners are going to have to part with more cash and allow for some free agency. When a player is cut or not resigned by his former team, he needs to be free to negotiate with other teams in the league. His former team who dumped him should not get any sort of compensation. That's crap.

Let's hope for the best!

Go Quakes!! :D
    Wake up time!!! :D

- Mark

4. QuakeAttack

QuakeAttack Member+

Apr 10, 2002
    California - Bay Area
    Club:
    San Jose Earthquakes
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Everyone is upbeat at the beginning of the season...

5. athletics68

athletics68 Member+

Dec 12, 2006
    San Diego & San Jose
    Club:
    San Jose Earthquakes
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Glad to hear they're focusing on fitness as I believe that to be our #1 issue.

6. futbol monkey

futbol monkey Member

Dec 12, 2007
    Santa Clara
    Club:
    San Jose Earthquakes
    Nat'l Team:
    Mexico
    I would agree here. I'm no fitness expert (made obvious by my beer gut) but when I went to watch the club practice the last two years at Buck Shaw I wondered if they didn't practice longer to limit injuries. They practiced a total of two hours (10am-noon) and sometimes not even the full two hours. The first half hour they used it to stretch, warm up and setup and equipment needed for the day's training. Of all the times I saw them practice, it was never intense and rarely did they scrimmage for longer than 30mins. My practices in high school football were way more intense and lasted longer. And in that sport there's plenty of off time during the game. I would think that in a sport that requires you to constantly move for 90 min, you would try to maximize your stamina. I'm not saying make them run 5 miles after practice but maybe increase the length of practice or at the very least increase the length of the scrimmage.

7. UrawaRed

UrawaRed New Member

Dec 19, 2000
    Kiyose, Tokyo
    Club:
    San Jose Earthquakes
    And beat-up at the end?

8. fadedtoblack

fadedtoblack Member+

Nov 6, 2007
    San Jose
    Club:
    San Jose Earthquakes
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
  9. UrawaRed

UrawaRed New Member

Dec 19, 2000
    Kiyose, Tokyo
    Club:
    San Jose Earthquakes
  10. sjquakes08

sjquakes08 Member+

Jun 16, 2007
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    when you gonna stop frowning goodsport?

this is not bad news.

11. UrawaRed

UrawaRed New Member

Dec 19, 2000
    Kiyose, Tokyo
    Club:
    San Jose Earthquakes
    He'll stop frowning when he hears the FO has made blue dominant. ;) Otherwise......

12. Goodsport

Goodsport Moderator
    Staff Member

May 18, 1999
    Club:
    San Jose Earthquakes
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    With the primary uniform still having remained black/black/black with no apparent firm plan to return it to blue/black/blue (as UrawaRed pointed out), with our new stadium planned to have no suites and have an embarrassingly low 15k permanent seats at a cost of only an equally-embarrassingly low $40-$60 million, with Frank Yallop seemingly still planning to continue playing with a cringe-inducing small playing field within the lines, with no announced plans for 16:9 HD TV coverage this season (though at least that may or may not be announced soon enough), and with the team on the field apparently not having improved much if at all, there's really not much to look forward to! :(

-G

13. sjquakes08

sjquakes08 Member+

Jun 16, 2007
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Get some optimism. Quakes/Clash used to suck. They got better. Now the Quakes suck again. They'll get better.

Also, that [drawing of a] stadium looks beautiful.

14. heavenorhell

heavenorhell Member

Jul 27, 2009
    Club:
    San Jose Earthquakes
    Nat'l Team:
    El Salvador
    ^^^^what stadium?

15. Goodsport

Goodsport Moderator
    Staff Member

May 18, 1999
    Club:
    San Jose Earthquakes
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    But none of the aforementioned things are likely to change, are they? :(

:(

-G

16. DotMPP

DotMPP 'Quakes fan in Stumptown

San Jose Earthquakes
    United States
    Jun 29, 2004
    SE Portland, OR
    Club:
    San Jose Earthquakes
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    So did that [drawing of a] stage arch in "This is Spinal Tap"

17. athletics68

athletics68 Member+

Dec 12, 2006
    San Diego & San Jose
    Club:
    San Jose Earthquakes
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    I still don't get how you think spending $60 million dollars is "embarassingly low". In this day and age now that society knows what money is actually worth I'd think it would be more embarrassing and wasteful to have spent $200 million or more on something that could potentially only last as long as the average person's car does (mind you I hope the Epicenter will last 30+ years as a venue, but as with most pro stadiums these days that's doubtful. Just ask the folks in Jacksonville or Miami who are being told their 15-20 year old NFL stadiums are obsolete already).

18. bsman

bsman Member+

May 30, 2001
    MadCity
    Club:
    San Jose Earthquakes
    I'm sure the Earthquakes FO won't rest until the team, the field, the uniforms and the stadium meet all of GS' exacting criteria... :p

19. willykirk

willykirk Member

Jan 6, 2004
    San Jose, Ca
    Club:
    San Jose Earthquakes
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    sure hope carlisle or someone else at centerline soccer has a real camp update for us soon, like who's there, who looks fit in the beginning (remember when RJ showed up first day last year and he looked like he'd spent 4 months on the MMA circuit!?), and maybe some dates for pre-season matches.