Quakes salary info

Discussion in 'San Jose Earthquakes' started by losgatosfan, Jul 13, 2005.

1. FAS

FAS Member

Jun 5, 1999
    Los Gatos
    On another thread on another board I was told that developmental (P40) players don't count against the cap. haven't been able to verify this and not sure if you took that into account lgf, when you tallied the numbers. In either case it seems lkike MLS has ways of making what they want to happen happen while still keeping a straight face and telling us all each team is treated equally. It all seems extremely Orwellian to me.

2. FAS

FAS Member

Jun 5, 1999
    Los Gatos
    I have to agree too based on merit, but in reality he's getting paid what he deserves and the other players are just plain getting shafted.

3. Defender

Defender Member

Joe's Plumbing 86ers
    Feb 16, 2001
    San Francisco CA
    Club:
    Atlanta Silverbacks
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    It can be even more difficult and frustrating if you are trying to pay for and apartment/living expenses and school, obviously before the degree. :( :mad:

It doesn't specify on the Quakes site, but I remember Cochrane being a Project-40/Generation Adidas player. He's guaranteed college money even if he washes out. He still makes (relatively) significantly more money than those who sign a basic dev contract. Players who sign the basic dev contracts earn less and don't get any college money, as far as I know.

If they have degrees, they can certainly earn some money from white collar jobs as well, depending on their degrees. Meola was managing a mortgage company before re-signing, and I believe Diego Gutierrez is also involved with the same company.

Troy Perkins was working at a sporting goods store before DC re-signed him to a senior contract.

4. losgatosfan

losgatosfan New Member

Feb 21, 2005
    Los Gatos, CA
    You're right, I forgot about that. Revised rankings are here (the only teams that change significantly are the ones with expensive P40 players like DC, since Adu's entire salary is not counted against the cap).....this is as accurate as I can get, although it's not totally up to date because of the recent trades and signings....one of the "loopholes" that LA is able to exploit is putting expensive Internationals as "Developmental Youth Internationals" so that their entire salary is not counted toward the cap. Basically, anyone who is younger than 25 years old can be put on a developmental contract. The player's contract is not guaranteed, otherwise they can apparently get as high a salary as the team wants.

Rankings of team's salaries counted against the Cap - only the 18 senior roster players, and only a max of $280k per player:

1. Chicago $1.922
    2. LA $1.758
    3. NY $1.719
    4. Dallas $1.682
    5. RSL $1.634
    6. San Jose $1.480
    7. Columbus $1.473
    8. KC $1.473
    9. DC $1.467
    10. Chivas $1.428
    11. NE $1.315
    12. Colorado $1.313

5. FAS

FAS Member

Jun 5, 1999
    Los Gatos
    LOL, still wondering what the elusive "cap" is?

6. raindawg

raindawg Member

Sep 22, 2000
    SF Bay Area
    Club:
    San Jose Earthquakes
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    I wonder what kind of package Barrett (or even Cannon) was offered before he went to Europe. I don't think $ was the only factor in his decision, but it I remember correctly, the MLS offer back then didn't really impress him...

7. Elninho

Elninho Member+

Sacramento Republic FC
    United States
    Oct 30, 2000
    Sacramento, CA
    Club:
    Los Angeles Galaxy
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Don't forget that teams can trade cap space. That makes things even more complicated...

8. 1Bri Fanatic333

1Bri Fanatic333 New Member

Jul 12, 2000
    Not that this information is anybodies business, but I tought I would shed some light on the whole where the $$ goes typo of thing......
    I'm 20 yrs old, a full time college student with a car payment and house rent (though this varies for us, and we pay what we have because we rent from my parents...but still u get the idea) to take care of....not to mention other little bills (utilities, insurances, credit cards, etc...).
    I work at a grocery store, part time. On average, I work about30 hours a week. Some weeks more, some weeks less..........but we will say 30 hrs a week. I have worked there for almost 4 yrs now, and I make $9/hr....straight up. I have gotten like 3 small raises within the last year....I think I was at like $7.40 before... We get no bonuses (cash bonuses I should say), and on Sunday I get paid time and 1/3 (it comes to like $11.997/hr on Sundays for me.) We have 4 pre=specified holidays that I get paid for....double time and 1/2. Because I'm not full time, if I work the holiday, I get paid 8 hrs straight time, and then double time and 1/2 for the average amnt of hrs I work on any given day (fr me, I think my avg. hrs is like 6.2)...it's confusing...I know. I get 2 paid vacations a yr, and when I hit 5 yrs with the company, I will get 3 a yr. After 10 yrs, Ill get 5 a yr....(I'll never get here, tho- thank god!) I'm union, so take that as you will.........but our union sucks and hurts us more than tey help us.....Anyways.....with that information, my W2 from last yr was $14,414 gross income. I don't remember my net....sorry. Now, I'd say that I'm at the same level as what these developmental guys make, except for the fact that I live in Modesto, and they live in the Bay Area. I pay $2.47/gallon for gas, and they pay $2.60/gallon.....they pay $1300-$1400 rent, I pay anywhere from $500-$1000 rent. There is a rather large difference in living costs from here to there.....
    Now, I live with my fiance, and last year, I think he grossed like $34,250 or something (nothing to get excited about). So I do have help financially when it comes to that, and we share all of the accounts and such so the $$ is all together for us, but some months, we barely make it by th skin of our teeth.....some months we r eating nuthing but top ramen and boxed mac-n-cheese.....The ONLY way these guys can make it out there with that kind of $$ is by rooming together.......there is NO other way...I just don't see it. So yeah, just to give you guys an idea.........

Also, can I just say that Eddie needs to be much higher on that list........

9. sj_quakes_fan

sj_quakes_fan Member

May 18, 2001
    San Jose
    Club:
    San Jose Earthquakes
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Trust me, we have an idea.... :p

There was an article I read yesterday, I think, that talked about how even the working middle class earning decent money are priced out of the housing market here. Only 17% of the people in the Bay Area could afford a median priced home. Scary frickin' fish for someone who doesn't own a home and think she never will. :(

However, if they pay 2.60 per gallon for gas, they're getting ripped! Big time. Lasts time I filled up at Shell it was 2.41. It's 2.49 now. Mind you, that's Shell. It was 2.41 at the ARCO near me on Sunday.

10. living_ded_boy

living_ded_boy New Member

May 24, 2001
    Pleasanton, Ca

What about Moreno? Ouch! :(

11. KingLouie

KingLouie New Member

Jan 29, 2004
    Stockton, Ca
    Club:
    Club América
    no "S"..that was the one that really stuck out for me.
    No wonder he's so slow...he's probably being weighed down by financial strain.

12. 1Bri Fanatic333

1Bri Fanatic333 New Member

Jul 12, 2000
    My gas prices were guestimates because at the last game, we filled up at Shell on the way home in Pleasanton, and payed $2.59/gal. When I filled my car up last night at Arco here, I payed $2.41..........so yeah.

13. towatana

towatana New Member

Jan 7, 2003
    San Jose
    It's crazy anyways.
    http://www.sanjosegasprices.com/retail_price_chart.aspx

14. markmcf8

markmcf8 Member+

Oct 18, 1999
    Vancouver, WA, USA
    Club:
    San Jose Earthquakes
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Not so fast Blue!

Before they got the HDC, lost angesleaze lost tons of money at the Rose Bowl, tons! And NYJ is hemorrhaging red ink! Sales of jerseys, t-shirts, bobble-heads and so on go into the single-entity pot and redistributed (at least in theory). So even if El-Lay sells more jerseys than San Jose, this does not mean that El-Lay has more money.

If salary cap and or closing teams were based strictly on the bottom line, MLS would have closed NYJ and El-Lay long ago. (Throw in the cost of the HDC and El-Lay will continue to lose money for years to come.)

Over the life of the franchises, there is no chance that El-Lay has lost less money than San Jose. I'm sure it's not even close. Consider player salaries, stadium rent, the cost of the HDC (even if you ding them only for part of it and amortize it), advertising, and front office salaries. There's no chance that sponsorships and merchandise sales make up the difference.

It's not about the money. At best, you can argue that AEG and or MLS can foresee a time when El-Lay will be profitable, and they can't see that in the case of San Jose. However, if they committed even half the resources to San Jose that they have to the filth, it would be much easier to imagine a profitable San Jose.

I'm not sure why more of you aren't outraged by the blatant unfairness of the alleged "salary cap." I'm really pissed off. (At MLS and AEG, not any of you.)

:mad:

GO QUAKES!!
    @#$% MLS!

- Mark

15. markmcf8

markmcf8 Member+

Oct 18, 1999
    Vancouver, WA, USA
    Club:
    San Jose Earthquakes
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    What MLS did with Barrett and Cannon was not return their agent's calls. They put off making them offers until the last week or two of their contracts and wouldn't respond to their agents. So Barrett and Cannon both started looking elsewhere. IIRC, Cannon said that when they made him an offer it was much lower than he thought he deserved. Barrett said that the offer wasn't so much bad as late. He had already decided to try his luck in Europe and it was less about money at that point and more about adventure. I think they both had to feel slighted and of course, had no doubt adjusted to the idea that they'd be leaving MLS by the time the league contacted them.

And of course, this is just two more in a long series of things that MLS (AEG) have done to screw over our team. Evil bastards! :mad:

GO QUAKES!!

- Mark

16. Aquari

Aquari New Member

Jul 5, 2004
    I was just going to comment on that! What an atrocity! $37K????

17. spejic

spejic Cautionary example

Mar 1, 1999
    San Rafael, CA
    Club:
    San Jose Earthquakes
    Maybe because it wasn't so long ago that the Quakes had at least three people in the top ten (Donovan, Agoos, Ekelund) plus others (like Mulrooney) that certainly made more than any Quake makes now.

18. ElJefe

ElJefe Moderator
    Staff Member

Feb 16, 1999
    Colorful Colorado
    Club:
    FC Dallas
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    This seems as good a time as any to revisit my assertion last week that some Quakes players might be happy to relocate to Houston.

19. tedwar

tedwar Member

Jun 24, 1999
    Richmond, CA-EastBay
    Club:
    San Jose Earthquakes
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Mark: that's not how I understand it at all.

Barrett was offered a contract by Mr. Moore, I recall, and wanted to play in Europe. That pretty much ended his chances of playing in WC 2002.

Cannon was a free agent, wasn't he, and went to Europe by choice.

Tony

20. BlueMeanie

BlueMeanie New Member

Apr 1, 2002
    EastSIIIIDE
    I remember reading that our operating costs at Spartan are greater than the Gals' were at the Rose Bowl. But I think I read it here, and there's really no way to validate it unless Noah Elliott said it. ;)

Didn't know about merch profit redistribution...never heard that once. If those are redistributed, why aren't operating cost overages?

I understand, and share, a lot of the resent people have towards AEG right now. But AEG did us a favor by taking over full operations when SVSE bailed on the partnership (a "favor" considering the likely other option: AEG bails, too, and MLS takes over and folds the team after that season). AEG never really wanted to operate this team. They do want to operate NYNJ and LA. You do the math.

Or, as I mentioned earlier, you could laugh your ass off at the fact those teams have one collective league title between them, regardless of all their spending and "favorite son" status. Going over the cap doesn't guarantee success, let alone a championship.

21. losgatosfan

losgatosfan New Member

Feb 21, 2005
    Los Gatos, CA
    Looked up the salaries from last year, here they are. This was published Jan 2004, before Agoos, Ekelund, and Lagos were under contract, so they are not listed. Safe to assume Agoos and Ekelund were paid pretty well (Agoos is making $173k this year):

San Jose
    PLAYER BASE-GUARANTEED*
    Donovan, Landon $280,000 $367,500
    Mulrooney, Richard $150,000 $161,000
    Dayak, Troy $100,000 $100,000
    Onstad, Patrick $93,500 $93,500
    DeRosario, Dwayne $69,457.50 $69,457.50
    Corrales, Ramiro $69,457 $69,457
    Russell, Ian $65,000 $66,250
    Dunivant, Todd $42,000 $52,000
    Faria, Rodrigo $47,250 $48,625
    Robinson, Eddie $45,000 $45,625
    Alvarez, Arturo $28,350 $41,550
    Conway, Jon $40,000 $40,750
    Mullan, Brian $34,728.75 $34,728.75
    Waibel, Craig $33,571.65 $33,571.65
    Levesque, Roger $28,350 $33,350
    Ching, Brian $32,550 $32,550
    Roner, Chris $25,200 $25,200
    Walker, Jamil $24,000 $24,000

22. SuperQuake

SuperQuake New Member

Jun 11, 2005
    I can only admire these players.

23. FAS

FAS Member

Jun 5, 1999
    Los Gatos
    Wow, so last year Ching got paid 32k for being the league's top goalscorer.

24. ThreeApples

ThreeApples Member+

Jul 28, 1999
    Smurf Village
    Club:
    San Jose Earthquakes
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Well, he signed the contract before he scored the goals. Then he got a $100,000 raise. I'm not going to weep for him.

25. willykirk

willykirk Member

Jan 6, 2004
    San Jose, Ca
    Club:
    San Jose Earthquakes
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    i would imagine with that team payroll (close to 2 mil when you add Goose and Ekelund) the Quakes ranked higher last year. This year the Quakes added a whole reserve team and payroll didnt even budge. AEG managed to give our veteran stars nice raises (mullan second w/ a 270% raise :) ) but not a bad bargain if you're AEG, the ***************ers.