Quakes-related Bay Area newspaper articles (Wednesday, 11/10/04)

Discussion in 'San Jose Earthquakes' started by Goodsport, Nov 10, 2004.

1. Goodsport

Goodsport Moderator
    Staff Member

May 18, 1999
    Club:
    San Jose Earthquakes
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
  2. bsman

bsman Member+

May 30, 2001
    MadCity
    Club:
    San Jose Earthquakes
    Good piece by Killion. I think she does an excellent job of highlighting the rather hypocritical maneuverings of AEG and its lapdog, MLS.

3. Ringo

Ringo Member

Jun 10, 2002
    Rough and Ready
    Club:
    Yeovil Town FC
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    agreed. she states the fan's case very well -- MLS & AEG are morons.

4. QuakeAttack

QuakeAttack Member+

Apr 10, 2002
    California - Bay Area
    Club:
    San Jose Earthquakes
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    AEG is in the sports entertainment business, along with MLS. Frankly, unlike some other sports businesses, I will give AEG credit for being pretty upfront with their "desires" to improve revenue and maintain a team in San Jose.

However, as mentioned in a recent article on QuakesMagic.com, Spartan Stadium is a viable option for the team. AEG has ignore that option. They have been trying to hold the team "hostage" in order to get a new stadium. Good business practice? Yes. Good for the team and fans? No.

5. Mglnbea

Mglnbea Member

Jun 26, 2001
    Northern California
    Club:
    San Jose Earthquakes
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Two things:

Ann Killion may be the only northern California sport's columnist who frequently writes about soccer in this country. Since, at least 1999 and maybe even before that, she has written several times about the Quakes, Cyberrays, MLS, WUSA, and the USMNT and USWNT. When she writes about soccer, it is never a "hit" piece on the sport, but a well thought out, well written and informative article. If there is another columnist in norcal that writes even half as much about soccer as she does, please let me know so I can begin reading that newspaper.

I'm just wondering now. . .If AEG had not existed, would the Quakes have left San Jose long before now due to lack of local owners/investors? Would MLS still operate? For all its pluses and minuses, hasn't AEG kind of been the savior of MLS while we all go through this very rough growing stage? Since AEG got involved with MLS, different franchises have solidified their base of operations, some have gotten their SSS's into either a more concrete reality or at least past just the dreaming about it stage, some franchises have even been sold off to local owenership which, hopefully, has helped to stabalize the overall league. There can always be criticism leveled against almost everybody and against any given situation, but to me AEG definitely represents a glass-half-full proposition.

Anyway, glad to see that the Q's are able to move forward and start selling season tix for 2005! Perhaps another year of increasing attendance combined with a renegotiation of the Spartan Stadium lease with Spartan Shops will result in local owners stepping up and taking over, or AEG realizing that they have a real positive (read: profit turning) franchise here in San Jose and wanting to hold onto it.

6. Albany58

Albany58 Member+

Sep 14, 1999
    Concord, CA USA
    Club:
    San Jose Earthquakes
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    I am becoming very fond of Ann Killion.
    This is something like reading a critique of Ebenezer Scrooge by his nephew; a fan who knows the fans are getting screwed.
    She sounds like a real fan of Alexi Lalas and AEG, :rolleyes: the ability to see right through their bullshot.

7. Jay Hipps

Jay Hipps Member

Mar 18, 2000
    Northern California
    Club:
    San Jose Earthquakes
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Spartan is not a viable option and would not be unless drastic changes were agreed to by Spartan Shops.

A new stadium would allow the Quakes income from luxury boxes, club seats, concessions, parking, stadium signage, naming rights, and other elements I'm probably forgetting. Spartan, on the other hand, offers none of those things and is a run-down wreck to begin with. (As I've often said, they don't call it a spartan stadium for nothing...)

Spartan is a last resort for the Quakes at best.

8. tedwar

tedwar Member

Jun 24, 1999
    Richmond, CA-EastBay
    Club:
    San Jose Earthquakes
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Quake Attack are you referring to the 'commentary' by Mr Arellano? He offered no alternatives or understanding about the Spartan economic situation. Mr Arellano's heart may be in the right place, but I hardly think he's got a death grip on reality.

Tony

9. QuakeAttack

QuakeAttack Member+

Apr 10, 2002
    California - Bay Area
    Club:
    San Jose Earthquakes
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Let me clarify. I was referring to the stadium as a place to play professional soccer, not from a business standpoint. If the attendence was in the 16,000-20,000 range and a suitable lease was in place, do you think Spartan would not be an option?

AEG failed to get a suitable lease, and therefore, they are using the team as a bargining point to get a new stadium. SSV is doing their new business development at no cost to AEG. What a great business! Plus, they will get their start up costs significantly reduced by having local government cover some of the costs. Brillant!

10. don gagliardi

don gagliardi Member+

San Jose Earthquakes
    Feb 28, 2004
    san jose
    Club:
    San Jose Earthquakes
    I don't think it's true that if the Quakes were drawing 20,000 per game that AEG wouldn't be looking for a new stadium. Don't get me wrong, I love Spartan Stadium, but it lacks the bells and whistles that make for a profitable sports franchise, such as luxury boxes and major corporate sponsorships. It's generally recognized that AEG is losing money on MLS in every market it's in except LA, where it has new stadium. Also, I'm sure that, again except for LA, the Quakes already have more fans in their stands than any AEG-owned MLS team. (As I've said before, attendance reports in other venues are inflated.) So the evidence is that MLS is not such a great business without new stadia.

Phil Anschutz has certainly treated the Quakes like the runt of his litter, which is a shame and in my view short-sighted considering this is the best (but mostly untapped) soccer market in the country, but he does appear to be in MLS for the love of soccer because he certainly has other more lucrative opportunities if return on investment were the sole consideration. Seeking investment from local governments whose populations benefit from indigenous professional sports teams is the way the game is played, so AEG cannot be faulted for that. And, as for fan subsidies, I'm happy as an SSV member to donate my time (and lots of it) to help with the effort because I have grown to love soccer, too. AEG didn't ask for our help.

Remember, MLS soccer is a top-flight product at substantially below-market (for major league sports) prices. By any objective measure, it's a really great deal. Like any business, if you want to keep it, support it with your patronage and talk it up with your friends and neighbors.