Quakes News - Onstad & De Rosario To Canada

Discussion in 'San Jose Earthquakes' started by San Jose Earthquakes, Oct 6, 2003.

1. sj_quakes_fan

sj_quakes_fan Member

May 18, 2001
    San Jose
    Club:
    San Jose Earthquakes
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    I understand exactly how you feel, TerremotoFan!

But, with all due respect, I hope we're BOTH over-reacting! :D

2. Albany58

Albany58 Member+

Sep 14, 1999
    Concord, CA USA
    Club:
    San Jose Earthquakes
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Thanks for saying that. That is the very first thing I thought when I heard the news. The match is not critical to Canada's record, it's not WC qualifying, so why do they have to go?

3. spudboy

spudboy New Member

Oct 1, 2003
    san jose
    I will definitely drink more beer, but I think I will need to pursue some concentrated Prozac capsules. Maybe we will get that ref we had last Sunday too, that would be the icing on the cow pie.

4. sacrxy

sacrxy BigSoccer Supporter

Feb 6, 2003
    The Colorado game is a good time to try out new players and lineup. Firstly, the team will still have couple regular season games to build up the big MO before the playoff. Secondly, if Colorado still has the Quakes' number and comes out on top, it may not affect the team as much because the "starters" are not playing. Thirdly, if the new players and lineup work well, they have much to add to the playoff run. I guess it comes down to how much experimenting the coaching staff is willing to do.

5. TheSlipperyOne

TheSlipperyOne Member+

Feb 29, 2000
    Denver
    Club:
    Arsenal FC
    I say give Saunders a shot. He's better than Warren and Baumstark who are the 2 rookies who started for DC in their last 2 games and he's actually had pro seasoning getting good PT and reviews with the Timbers.

6. babytiger2001

babytiger2001 New Member

Dec 29, 2000
    Melbourne
    Club:
    San Jose Earthquakes
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    I just had a knee operation yesterday, so I've already got plenty of painkilling drugs on hand. Lucky me. :p

Seriously, though, rest some of the regulars and give some minutes to the other players who (a) haven't played much and (b) deserve them.

We need the 'A'-list players rested and hungry for two games against L.A., and then the playoffs.

And, oh, yeah... I'd like to see Saunders play ahead of Conway.

7. lurking

lurking Member+

Feb 9, 2002
    Club:
    San Jose Earthquakes
    Nat'l Team:
    United States

Pat Onstad:
    W-L-T GAA CP/G Sv%
    14-4-7 0.97 4.36 75.7%

Jon Conway:
    W-L-T GAA CP/G Sv%
    0-2-0 3.00 2.00 41.7%

And why should I be optimistic this week?

I feel bad for Conway, I mean it would nice if he would do well, its just I havent seen anything to make me think he will. I hope he proves me wrong... if he can keep it up in the long term. Otherwise give Saunders the start, who I think has a bright future.

8. doppelganger

doppelganger Member

Jul 6, 2001
    santa cruz, ca
    isn't there a veiled optimism in your hopes?

:)

9. CanuckFan

CanuckFan Member

Dec 13, 1999
    Calgary
    Club:
    FC Energie Cottbus
    Nat'l Team:
    Canada
    I don't understand why they called those two up when you guys are playing. This exhibition seems to be a reunion of soon to be old farts (Onstad would be in that group) and bears little resemblance to our best 18. Better to try some youngsters in Europe on the weekend than potentially hurt the Earthquakes post season run.

By the way, I saw Josh Saunders play a couple of times live this summer and he looked good.

10. Alexi

Alexi Member

Feb 26, 1999
    San Francisco
    Just curious: are there really many Canadian youngsters in Europe to choose from?

11. CanuckFan

CanuckFan Member

Dec 13, 1999
    Calgary
    Club:
    FC Energie Cottbus
    Nat'l Team:
    Canada
    Our best young players go to Europe. Opportunities are extremely limited in the MLS for Canadians. Check out this thread:

https://www.bigsoccer.com/forum/showthread.php?threadid=37252

12. cljco

cljco New Member

Jul 8, 2003
    Denver
    Its always been my impression that if you get the call to go with your national team, you just go, and the club adjusts. I don't think any of the national teams actually care how their season effects the club teams. Someone please enlighten me on how the nats resolve these conflicts if I'm wrong.
    Four of our guys just got called up to the U-23 team and their olympic qualifying schedule starts right in the middle of the playoffs. What are they supposed to do? Blow it off and possibly lose the opportunity to play in the Olympics? But at the same time it doesn't seem resonable that the national coaches would want to deprive a player the chance at playing for the cup.

13. Albany58

Albany58 Member+

Sep 14, 1999
    Concord, CA USA
    Club:
    San Jose Earthquakes
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Miracles have happened!

14. Albany58

Albany58 Member+

Sep 14, 1999
    Concord, CA USA
    Club:
    San Jose Earthquakes
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    There are some restrictions. MLS Confidential is saying that Ray Hudson turned down Bolivia's request to get Marco Etcheverry for their friendly this weekend (it's a FIFA celebration of some sort). The national team has to give the club team notification at least 15 days in advance. If Canada went through the right procedures, I would suppose that the Quakes are obligated to honor their request. I think it's rather dumb, though.

15. CanuckFan

CanuckFan Member

Dec 13, 1999
    Calgary
    Club:
    FC Energie Cottbus
    Nat'l Team:
    Canada
    Clarification

The CSA is entirely within its rights to call up your two players; I never questioned that. However, this is a friendly, with a caretaker coach who apparently has no intention of fielding our best (Cdn) lineup. Common sense and courtesy could have come into play here as you guys are in a critical period right now. We could easily go into this friendly with two other players without affecting the performance much (Onstad is no better than Hirschfeld - we have Radzinski EPL and Peschisolido - English 1st there already as strikers).

16. CARLOS1

CARLOS1 Member

Aug 9, 2001
    Sunnyvale, CA
    Club:
    Real Betis
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Frank should've turned down the Canadians too. We've already missed deRo too much this season. Smack dab at the beginning of the playoffs, no doubt.

17. Albany58

Albany58 Member+

Sep 14, 1999
    Concord, CA USA
    Club:
    San Jose Earthquakes
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Ray Hudson was using the fact that Bolivia hadn't informed them 15 days in advance. The request for Etcheverry had just come in a day or so ago. From that, I would believe that if they had asked a month or so earlier, it would be much harder to turn them down.

18. lurking

lurking Member+

Feb 9, 2002
    Club:
    San Jose Earthquakes
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    No. I also hope I win the lottery and its brought in bags filled with c-notes to my door by a 100 swimsuit models, but Ill tell you right now, Im not optimistic about that either.

19. DoyleG

DoyleG Member+

CanPL
    Canada
    Jan 11, 2002
    YEG-->YYJ-->YWG-->YYB
    Club:
    FC Edmonton
    Nat'l Team:
    Canada
    Ratehr that the young guns are going to be busy as it is. The U20 World Cup is coming up along with a pivotal Olympic series against El Salvador.

Then comes WCQ.