Quakes/DeeCee (7/15/05) inmatch/postmatch [R]

Discussion in 'San Jose Earthquakes' started by BlueMeanie, Jul 15, 2005.

1. JazzyJ

JazzyJ BigSoccer Supporter

Jun 25, 2003
    That's OK, it's salesmanship. You have to get the casual viewer excited about what they've just seen. And the best way to do that is to tell them how exciting and incredible it is. I much prefer to hear it when it's a Quakes goal though.

2. KingLouie

KingLouie New Member

Jan 29, 2004
    Stockton, Ca
    Club:
    Club América
    SON OF A #$@H...I watched the first 15 min of the game at work and had to miss the rest of the game....apparently i was spared.
    I left thinking we had this in the bag...or at least didn't foresee it being the worst game of the year.

----get 3pts in Co. and call it a good month---

3. dfb547490

dfb547490 New Member

Feb 9, 2000
    The Heights
    Well, that sucked. I just got back from the game...I'm really glad I drove 3 hours each way and spent about $50-60 to watch that pile of crap.

Onstad was good and Barrett was good. The rest of the team sucked. Let's kick Colorado's ass on Weds.

4. KMJvet

KMJvet BigSoccer Supporter

May 26, 2001
    Quake Country
    Club:
    San Jose Earthquakes
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    hyperbole with some humor = good
    a broken record of hyperbole with the volume too loud = bad

5. shasta

shasta New Member

Mar 8, 2004
    AEG SVCKS
    They played like a team that just got some bad news.

Hope I'm wrong.............................

6. FAS

FAS Member

Jun 5, 1999
    Los Gatos
    Maybe they just read the NY Times article on player salaries, don't give up hope.

7. Goodsport

Goodsport Moderator
    Staff Member

May 18, 1999
    Club:
    San Jose Earthquakes
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    No, the team tends to have had this type of game once or twice each of the last few seasons. I really wouldn't read much more into it than that. :)

GO SAN JOSE EARTHQUAKES!!! :cool:

-G

8. shasta

shasta New Member

Mar 8, 2004
    AEG SVCKS
    Thanx,

I needed that positive vibe!

9. TyffaneeSue

TyffaneeSue moderator
    Staff Member

Nov 15, 2003
    Upstairs
    Club:
    San Jose Earthquakes
    Yeah, that must be what Wade whispered to DeRo that caused him to collapse completely: "think it's hot and muggy here? wait till we get to Houston..."

10. Hawkeye17

Hawkeye17 DynaChick v QuakeBabe v WildKate v Chewie23

Aug 25, 1999
    Miami Vice 82
    Club:
    San Jose Earthquakes
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    All I'm going to say is that it was a very badly played game. Three shots that couldn't be stopped, but blame it more on the travel, the wet pitch, and the 3-5-2. Or were they distracted by Rocket Ray's interview with Kit Man Malcolm Phillips--let's just say too much information.

Good to see DeRo back but it looked like the travel and playing for Canada took its toll. Danny Califf really needs to cool his head--he was lucky to get a yellow instead of a red. And despite the result, Eddie Robinson was literally a homing device following Freddy Adu around.

Now, they have to worry about another midweek game, this time again in Colorado before heading home--good news is that Califf can sit out the next game, which is on the road--and then return home to play against the Metros.

Good thing we won't have to play these guys again, until possibly the MLS Cup in Dallas.

11. FAS

FAS Member

Jun 5, 1999
    Los Gatos
    I suppose, but i'd have loved to have had him for the Colorado game, three points there and we are in a good position. it was a stupid card to take, there was nothing to be gained, the game was well lost by then. just hoping that Colarado don't get to see the video tape and get any ideas about a 3-5-2. At least they shouldn't have mastroeni and the definately don't have a Gomez type on the team. based on what I saw at Spartan last time we should be able to get at least a point at Colorado and hopefully all three.

12. alliu23

alliu23 I'm a Yank til I Die

Jul 28, 2004
    Williamsport, PA
    Club:
    San Jose Earthquakes
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    that's as bad as LA playing RSL 4 times in 3 months

13. Goodsport

Goodsport Moderator
    Staff Member

May 18, 1999
    Club:
    San Jose Earthquakes
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    I'm glad I could help. :)

And don't worry - despite this last game, more positive vibes are on the way both on and off the field. :D

GO SAN JOSE EARTHQUAKES!!! :cool:

-G

14. Goquakesgo

Goquakesgo New Member

Jun 22, 2005
    San Jose
    uggggh that was without a doubt the worst game i have seen in awhile played by San Jose, the last time they lost this bad was last season's playoffs.The only guys who played decent was Dwayne De Rosario, up until the turnover on the 2nd Gomez goal, and Wade Barrett, but he was clearly ball watching on the J. Moreno goal.

Where was Robinson on the 2nd Gomez goal? What was he doing so far up? Why wasn't anyone covering his position? man that was aweful

well, hopefully we turn this around against Colorado

better luck next time...

15. sonofapitch

sonofapitch New Member

Feb 11, 2002
    Novato, CA
    Oh, well...they were tired and due for a "stinker." Figures it would come at DC...a tough place to play anyway.

I just hope the guys can get rested up enough in time for Colorado and still have something left for Metro next Saturday!

GO QUAKES!!!**

16. angra

angra New Member

Oct 10, 2001
    myfootongarbers'ass

What else is new?

17. shasta

shasta New Member

Mar 8, 2004
    AEG SVCKS
    Did you watch the slow-mo replay? He watches the ball, then looks over to see Gomez....Wade looks like he saw a ghost! He didn't even bother to rush the guy.

18. dred

dred Member+

Nov 7, 2000
    Land of Champions
    Saw game on tape.

Quakes played them even first half.

De Ro best player on field until he went down in min 40. 3 or 4 big defensive hustle plays plus confident in attack.

Team got worse the worse the score got.

Gray screwed up first two goals. First was unforced turnover in our own half.
    Second he lets the left-footed Gros fake him out to the right and then deliver an uncontested left-footed cross.

Mullan was very ordinary, a non-threat.

19. Albany58

Albany58 Member+

Sep 14, 1999
    Concord, CA USA
    Club:
    San Jose Earthquakes
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    I thought Ray would run out on the field after the game and shower Nick Rimando with hugs and kisses like he used to.

20. Albany58

Albany58 Member+

Sep 14, 1999
    Concord, CA USA
    Club:
    San Jose Earthquakes
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    I still wish there were some way that the team could avoid this routine of flying back from SJ to Ohio, Ohio to SJ, SJ to DC, DC to SJ and then SJ to Denver. I don't why they can't find [this is just one example] for coming back a ski lodge in some place inexpensive (not the ski season now) like Fraser (60 miles west of Denver in the mountains), or Boulder or Colorado Springs. Rest, recuperate and train there for a couple of days and be fresh for the next game. Flying the team all the way back and then all the way out there must be much more expensive. It sure as hell makes for some-piss-poor performances like yesterday's. Those guys were beat (in both senses of the term). Thank god those guys are young, if it were me on a schedule like that, I'd have to have IV's and oxygen.

21. Bajoro

Bajoro Member+

Sep 10, 2000
    The Inland Empire
    Club:
    San Jose Earthquakes
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Hudson said one really insightful thing -- on attack, you've got be prepared to make runs, hard runs into space, knowing that you won't get the ball. This creates space and gives your mates options.

It's another way of saying the team was not committed to the attack. I can't count how many times I saw the team take a rest when they got possession, instead of reflexively pressuring the defense.

For a team that's tired ('beat' in Albany's words) it's very hard to commit. What we saw Friday night was a lack of commitment in attack, and a lack of commitment in defense.

The sad thing is, the commitment to go all out is the one thing that has distinguished this team all year.

I hope they can regroup for this Wednesday night game, and re-commit (tired or not) to being the kind of team that has been such a pleasure to support this year.

22. CUgrad01

CUgrad01 New Member

Oct 20, 2004
    Please tell me that you are just kidding? These guys surely had a day and a half to compensate for a "whopping" 3 hour time difference. Are you suggesting that these good athletes were just not cut out for a simple cross country flight (or even a few for that matter)? Recuperate from what? Come on. YOU must be a true **********.

23. shasta

shasta New Member

Mar 8, 2004
    AEG SVCKS
    Lighten up.

Just expressing an opinion.

24. Bajoro

Bajoro Member+

Sep 10, 2000
    The Inland Empire
    Club:
    San Jose Earthquakes
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Travel in MLS is one of the biggest factors in fatigue and the difficulty of winning on the road. Any game on the road is more difficult than any game at home because your sleep routine is interupted and you're in a strange place, which to people who have to travel for business can be disorienting. 3 hours time difference for some people can take a recovery time of several days, which is usually less than the teams provide their players in order to save on travel expenses. MLS doesn't have NFL-style travel budgets.

All of this was very eloquently explained in an article by Judas Donovan last year when he was asked why it's so hard to win on the road.

Any '**********' can understand once you see how the players actually feel about it, so you should have no problems.

25. shasta

shasta New Member

Mar 8, 2004
    AEG SVCKS
    The lackluster effort for San Jose started in the back, and defender Danny Califf was the first to admit it.

"Tonight (there) was no excuse and it started with me," he said. "It just was not good enough today."

When we picked this guy up with a bum knee, I was thinking, "What the #*%$!?!".

Then after his first couple of games I thought, "Hmmm, nice addition".

Now, after reading his comments I'm thinking, "This guy is an Earthquake!!".

Way to stand up and be accountable, Danny!!

(Now you need to back up off the cards, Dude!!)