Quakes/cRapids (6/29/05) inmatch/postmatch [R]

Discussion in 'San Jose Earthquakes' started by BlueMeanie, Jun 29, 2005.

1. sj_quakes_fan

sj_quakes_fan Member

May 18, 2001
    San Jose
    Club:
    San Jose Earthquakes
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Yes, Cerritos got hit hard quite a few times. Colorado was going in hard on our players. Cerritos even went over to the ref to show him how his sock had been torn by his ankle at one point.

2. sportsfan-quakes

Mar 19, 2005
    San Jose
    If Dom was so unhappy with the play, why didn't he substitute earlier? Based on how many of the reserves have been playing on Sundays (averaging 3 goals a game for the past several games), wouldn't you think that there are several options to kickstart a laggard offense? And having fresh legs at the end of a game, when both teams are playing on short rest, really can help.

Try some of the guys who have been creating or finding the net on Sundays, give them a chance, in games like last night when the starters aren't exactly tearing it up. I would have loved to see Russell and/or Wondolowski come in late in the game, they have both been tearing it up with the Reserves.

3. sportsfan-quakes

Mar 19, 2005
    San Jose
    One of the few games this year when the fouls committed were so unbalanced (Colorado committed 21 fouls, San Jose 12)

4. sj_quakes_fan

sj_quakes_fan Member

May 18, 2001
    San Jose
    Club:
    San Jose Earthquakes
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    You truly are a Quakes fan aren't you.

*sigh* I guess he'll never win, even when he wins. But he definitely deserves a ton more credit than he gets.

5. IBleedTeal

IBleedTeal Member+

Jun 2, 2001
    Yves Fiat
    Club:
    Juventus FC
    I've been meaning to ask, do you know what kind of cologne he wears on the bench?!

6. living_ded_boy

living_ded_boy New Member

May 24, 2001
    Pleasanton, Ca

Definitely a cardable offense, not sure why he held back on the card. For the most part, this ref was pretty good.

7. sportsfan-quakes

Mar 19, 2005
    San Jose
    Yes, I am truly a Quakes fan, and I think Dom has done a fantastic job coaching this year overall. But that doesn't mean I can't point out where I disagree with him, does it?

You went on and on about how he was yelling to the team, indicating his displeasure. I just pointed out that most coaches would then follow that up with a substitution.

8. losgatosfan

losgatosfan New Member

Feb 21, 2005
    Los Gatos, CA
    By the way, I thought the Casbah was fantastic last night. Without them, the atmosphere would have been pretty dead. Midweek game, small crowd (sorry, it didn't look like 9k), Colorado playing thug-ball and packing it in on defense, no flow to the game......but the cheers and singing from the Casbah helped to keep the rest of the crowd at least somewhat into it.

Great job.

9. sj_quakes_fan

sj_quakes_fan Member

May 18, 2001
    San Jose
    Club:
    San Jose Earthquakes
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    I did? I certainly didn't think so. I was only addressing the posts that were questioning my statement. In my first post all I said was that he was obviously not happy with the egg on the boards as someone had said they thought he wasn't too displeased.

Sheesh!

10. KatieMae

KatieMae New Member

Oct 4, 2002
    San Jose
    Club:
    San Jose Earthquakes
    I agree completely. Btw, just wondering what it is the Blue Crew do other than throw out the tshirts. In past years they have been more active. Aren't they supposed to lead cheers and get the crowd going? And I don't mean just for the slice of pizza. Saturday's game seemed the perfect opportunity since the stadium was so wired. If that jester guy weren't around nothing would happen.

11. BlueMeanie

BlueMeanie New Member

Apr 1, 2002
    EastSIIIIDE
    Who was the moment of silence before last night's match dedicated to? We were going to our seats just as it ended.

12. Spartacus

Spartacus Member

May 20, 2001
    The NO SOCCER Zone
    One of the ushers from 112/113 (and a former youth coach, referee, World Cup Volunteer, etc...).

13. sangreazul

sangreazul Member

Nov 17, 2003
    Belmont, CA
    Club:
    Club América
    Nat'l Team:
    Mexico
    Mr. David Harbert. He was a volunteer for the Earthquakes since the early days and was heavily involved in youth soccer in Redwood City. His wife also volunteers for the Quakes, section 113 I think.

14. Spartacus

Spartacus Member

May 20, 2001
    The NO SOCCER Zone
    Since no one follows the Blue Crew when they try to lead cheers and get the crowd going, they're going in a differnt direction.

15. frogstar

frogstar New Member

May 13, 2004
    Yes to both. I was shocked that there was no card given on that takedown. I was less sure about Cannon going over the line but it sure looked like it. I was hoping that someone who watched on TV might have been able to check the replay...

16. sj_quakes_fan

sj_quakes_fan Member

May 18, 2001
    San Jose
    Club:
    San Jose Earthquakes
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Soccer is not the sport for following the Blue Crew type cheers. They are too complicated. There is too much going on on the field to take your eyes off of it to try to figure out what they're trying to do. In the Casbah, you just listen. You can watch and listen at the same time.

And, as much as you all worship the slug, I was not all too happy that the dang thing stood in my view of the game for WAY too long!! Soccer is not the place for those distractions.

17. FAS

FAS Member

Jun 5, 1999
    Los Gatos
    Yes, he did take a step over the line after he already had the ball, he got away with one.

During warmups Joe shouted to me that the crowd against LA was great, sounds like he enjoyed that game too.

18. Foolish

Foolish New Member

Jun 26, 2005
    Sec113

Yeah as much as I like to dis Dom for his "Yallop clone" tendencies -- What's it take to get a sub on the field??!! -- I gotta admit he's doing an outstanding job with the mid-season rebuild. The system really works when you can slot in team newbies that not only hold their own but give us a show.

I'm dreading Saturday... the boys looked tired and it's likely to get worse.

19. sj_quakes_fan

sj_quakes_fan Member

May 18, 2001
    San Jose
    Club:
    San Jose Earthquakes
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Exactly!

I think they looked tired too, but I'm hoping it doesn't get worse.... :(

20. FAS

FAS Member

Jun 5, 1999
    Los Gatos
    Yes they looked tired, maybe it was just the drain after the LA game, but I think also that they missed Brad Davis a lot more than anyone expected them to. Davis has been such a great ball winner and also able to run at the opposition, I don't think Chung did nearly as well out on the left.

21. sj_quakes_fan

sj_quakes_fan Member

May 18, 2001
    San Jose
    Club:
    San Jose Earthquakes
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    YES! This was one of the first things I said after the game! We won, and I'm happy with that. But I sure missed Brad! Especially now that Brian is back! Brad and Brian are just absolutely a joy to watch!

22. spejic

spejic Cautionary example

Mar 1, 1999
    San Rafael, CA
    Club:
    San Jose Earthquakes
    His passing and running were great and he beat his man often enough, but Chungs crosses were all too high. But then Davis' free kicks were all terrible against LA - one game isn't enough to really tell how a player does.

23. Spartacus

Spartacus Member

May 20, 2001
    The NO SOCCER Zone
    On the other hand...why do the things work when "The Jester" does them and not when the Blue Crew does them? Blue Crew is even holding up big signs so everybody knows the words! "The Jester" just goes word of mouth.

24. Naco

Naco Member

Aug 5, 2001
    But a big mouth it is. :p

25. sj_quakes_fan

sj_quakes_fan Member

May 18, 2001
    San Jose
    Club:
    San Jose Earthquakes
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Because you can listen and watch at the same time. So he runs around and tells people what to do. Whereas the Blue Crew makes a big production and has these big signs. And most people don't know what they're doing cuz they'd have to take their eyes off the game to figure it out.

And also because the Blue Crew tend to go into a section to throw a tshirt out or a bean bag thingy or whatever. So the whole stadium won't get into that. Just that one section. They do this more often than not.

Also, the jester guy has a ton of energy and passion. He gets in there firing on all cylinders and gets the hell out of the way. Gets in and gets it done. he doesn't go in all giggly and timid and afraid he's going to get in someone's way and "okay is this a good time to start this? kinda timid. He gets in there fires up the crowd and gets gone. Kinda like Crazy George. Even he did much better than the Blue Crew.