Quakes/cRapids (6/29/05) inmatch/postmatch [R]

Discussion in 'San Jose Earthquakes' started by BlueMeanie, Jun 29, 2005.

1. living_ded_boy

living_ded_boy New Member

May 24, 2001
    Pleasanton, Ca

Did you make that up on your own?

2. shasta

shasta New Member

Mar 8, 2004
    AEG SVCKS
    The mascots had hackey sacks (for the loudest fans) and the end zones had $6 seats.

Both good promos!

3. sj_quakes_fan

sj_quakes_fan Member

May 18, 2001
    San Jose
    Club:
    San Jose Earthquakes
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Uhhh...yeah! You know I'm a dork! You shouldn't be so surprised by that post!

4. SeamusBrewer

SeamusBrewer New Member

Jan 22, 2003
    SF

Sorry, I live in SF and am the closest of the 3 of us by far. We were trying to figure out how to do it, but all got caught up with work. We'll definatly be there for the July 23rd game vs. the Metrostars though. I even ended up buying MLS direct kick just so I could see the game. The crowd sounded good though and really jumped to life after the goal. Great showing by the 12 Quakes on the field and the 9,000+ in the stands - wish I could have been there.

5. Aquari

Aquari New Member

Jul 5, 2004
    I thought we played pretty well. We maintained most of the possesion and all the Rapids' shots were either saved by the post, wide, or flatout by Onstad.

6. living_ded_boy

May 24, 2001
    Pleasanton, Ca

I agree with your assessment of Moreno overall......but he was not doing well against the Rapids. He was much more dangerous in previous games and I was glad he was pulled instead of Ronald. Moreno is a better finisher than Cerritos but Cerritos has the better work rate. To yalp's point on Moreno, I think he hit's the turf due to his lack of size....he however does not lay on the ground for minutes at a time......he always gets up. I remember when he played for LA, Agoos whacked him pretty good and he drew the foul and got up even though it was obvious that it hurt. Oh....I also agree that long balls to Moreno do not work.

7. Aquari

Aquari New Member

Jul 5, 2004
    Lurking, that goal came from Mullan to Nash, then back to Mullan who found DeRo in the box (I had a very clear view from the Casbah). It was a beautiful play and a strong, purposeful target from DeRo. Yes, we are lucky but that was hardwork as well. :)

8. Aquari

Aquari New Member

Jul 5, 2004
    Well, I will second your thoughts. Infact, this was the topic of conversation in the car as we drove home last night. My husband pointed out that we won the 2001 MLS Cup in a new SSS that year, didn't we? In Columbus or something---can someone verify?

Then, we won our second MLS Cup at the Home Depot Center----another new SSS that year.

It would be really great if we make it all the way to the finals this year, and win it in yet another new SSS in Dallas! If that happens, we would have won all championships in new SSS! And yes, another ODD number year!

BUT, ofcourse we want to take it one match at a time. At the moment, we are looking like a team that COULD! And I am happy about that :)

9. Aquari

Aquari New Member

Jul 5, 2004
    Excellent assessment!

10. leftjab

leftjab Member

Jan 11, 2004
    Berkeley
    after seeing Moreno get whacked so much against LA this past weekend and always get up, my nickname for him is "whack-a," as in the "whack-a-mole" game at fairs and amusement parks. Alejandro "whack-a" Moreno.

11. frogstar

frogstar New Member

May 13, 2004
    part of a discussion I had with my friend at the game last night:

* playing the ball for the tall target forward to win in the air works better with a tall target forward

* the long ball for the speedy forward to run onto works better with a speedy forward

12. lurking

lurking Member+

Feb 9, 2002
    Club:
    San Jose Earthquakes
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    I was annoyed with the lack of urgency on the field. I wont say that we were awful, just that we didnt seem terribly upset with a 0-0 scoreline, and Dom didnt seem like he was terribly unhappy either. We got the result, and maybe Dom's dont panic approach was the right one, but I expected for, and am just glad that what we had was enough.

Plus I stick by my point that Nash does something neither Cerritos or Moreno are doing, which is take a ball with his back to the goal and find a midfielder after they have made a run up. Mullan and DeRo were able to make that play because Nash allowed them to play off of him.

13. markmcf8

markmcf8 Member+

Oct 18, 1999
    Vancouver, WA, USA
    Club:
    San Jose Earthquakes
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    We clearly outplayed the Crapids all night, so in that sense, I didn't think we were lucky to score. We should have scored earlier. Cerritos's 1v1 would have found the net against anyother keeper, he switched the ball to his other foot at the last moment and took a good shot. Cannon had to make a kick save.

What Nash showed us last night was size, speed, and the ablilty to link up with his teammates. I'd love to see him start against Dallas, then bring on Moreno for the last 20 or 30 minutes. Even if Nash doesn't score or setup another goal, he'll make the FCKD work their butts off defending him. Then Moreno will have an easier time poaching them. Cerritos is faster than Moreno (heck, I might be faster than Moreno), so pairing Ronald with Nash is more likely to be productive early.

The Crapids did play a very negative game against us in the first half. I'm glad the ref dished out the early yellows. It helped make them change their tactics in the second half.

Clark ruled the pitch last night. Best performance by him this season.

GO QUAKES!!

- Mark

14. sj_quakes_fan

sj_quakes_fan Member

May 18, 2001
    San Jose
    Club:
    San Jose Earthquakes
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    I agree with the lack of urgency comment. It just seemed the boys weren't into it last night. I especially noticed that about Onstad right at the start of the game. Something seemed up with him. It kinda seemed like the boys were worn out or conserving themselves or something....

Dom was terribly unhappy. That I guarantee you. I heard what he was yelling during the game. I'm not sure if I can say what it was (I was told not to, but it may be something else I'm not supposed to say). But, you'll have to trust me, if you know what he was saying to the boys, you'd know he was not happy with that pair of goose eggs.

15. QuakeAttack

QuakeAttack Member+

Apr 10, 2002
    California - Bay Area
    Club:
    San Jose Earthquakes
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    I agree with your agreement, except with Onstad. He seems to be "locked in".

By the way, Dom always yells, even if the game is going well. However, I expected some changes when Colorado started controlling the game on the middle of the second half. We got lucky with the late change and the fact that Colorado couldn't take advantage of our lack of effort (although they almost did on the ball to Luchi)...

WE NEED TO WIN AT HOME!!!!!! No more ties.

16. sj_quakes_fan

sj_quakes_fan Member

May 18, 2001
    San Jose
    Club:
    San Jose Earthquakes
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Yeah the thing with Onstad was right at the beginning of the game. I don't remember thinking that again later in the game. But at first he just seemed like the game was going on and he was focusing on something else. I could totally be wrong. But I know I'm not the only one who thought that.

17. TyffaneeSue

TyffaneeSue moderator
    Staff Member

Nov 15, 2003
    Upstairs
    Club:
    San Jose Earthquakes
    Awww, come on, if he was yelling it, how confidential can it be? Which team was he threatening to send them to? CA? LA?

18. sj_quakes_fan

sj_quakes_fan Member

May 18, 2001
    San Jose
    Club:
    San Jose Earthquakes
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Also, I'm totally aware of Dom's yelling. :D

But what he was yelling is what makes me know that he was not happy at all with eggs all over the board.

19. yalpstel

yalpstel Member

Oct 12, 2000
    Bay Area, CA
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Exactly, what's the big secret? I heard him yelling too. I just wasn't close enough to hear it.

20. sj_quakes_fan

sj_quakes_fan Member

May 18, 2001
    San Jose
    Club:
    San Jose Earthquakes
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    It's nothing important as to what he was saying. But I told someone I wouldn't say. I'm only posting about it because people do not give Dom enough credit for running this team, for making sure the boys are fighting for the win, for being hard enough on the boys. I want to make sure people are aware that he is running this team and he deserves incredible credit for what he's done with it considering what he's had to work with.

21. yalpstel

yalpstel Member

Oct 12, 2000
    Bay Area, CA
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    He was probably still recalling Saturday night's save sequence. I watched that again last night with my son - can NEVER get enough of stuff like that! A few minutes after those superhero-like saves, they showed a close up of Pat. I think it hit him at that moment. You could tell he was thinking about it, the quickly changing expressions on his face were absolutely priceless!

22. living_ded_boy

May 24, 2001
    Pleasanton, Ca

Then I will.....

Dom: "!@#$%^&^YT%R$E#W@!@#$^%$#!!!........OR ELSE!!! :D

23. Naco

Naco Member

Aug 5, 2001
    Fix.

24. living_ded_boy

May 24, 2001
    Pleasanton, Ca

Dude....normally I agree with you but on an average......cerritos spends more time on the ground than Moreno.....neither are divers.

25. TyffaneeSue

TyffaneeSue moderator
    Staff Member

Nov 15, 2003
    Upstairs
    Club:
    San Jose Earthquakes
    1. Didn't it look as though [name of thug Rapids player] was trying to break Ronald's leg and should have been carded? This happened right in front of us, and at first the ref was reaching into his pocket but then he just stuck his finger in [thug's] face instead. Cerritos was out for a few minutes on the sideline.

2. Did the Joe step over the line to pick up the ball? I didn't quite catch that one, but those around me claimed he did, and I did see him scooting back quickly into position, ball in hand.